Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Prhodes

Black Tank Flush issue

2020 Keystone Cougar half-ton 29rbd
Tried flushing my black tank today with the flush hook up marked tank flush. I opened black tank valve 100%. Hooked up city water connection and slowly turned the water on, the water started spraying out of the tank flush hook up. Yes like a leaky water hose. It seems I have something blocking the pathway to the tank. To me there's zero water getting to the tank. No water ever came out of sewer hook up. Any suggestions??
Prhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I bet the anti siphon valve is installed backwards. It’s probably located under the bathroom sink or behind the shower.

I would bet they didn’t check it at the PDI and now you get to deal with it. If you find it and it is backwards a phone call would be in order, as I bet they charged you for the PDI and now you have to wonder what else they didn’t check. When you find it, easy to check. There is an arrow showing direction of flow and you can just blow air through the line to verify which side is which.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Prhodes

Checkster
Yeah the PDI went like crap. 4th water issue I have found. All very small issues like loose fittings. Fixed with plumbers tape or just tighten. Just lazy and ridiculous....
Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Prhodes

It's not under the bathroom sink. How would I know if it's behind the shower? How do I access that area?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Prhodes

Chuckster, you stated in another thread of a humming sound when water is turned on into the flush. That's exactly what I am hearing. So it could be behind the shower faucets? You said something to that in the thread as well
Old 09-29-2019, 03:34 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If the anti siphon valve is operating correctly, it may have a hum sound as water passes through. If no water is flowing through it because it’s installed backwards, then it may be like a treasure hunt to find it. I have seen them under the bathroom sink, behind the shower faucet, in storage closets. We don’t sell your brand/model so I don’t know the location of yours.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Have you checked the connection on the water inlet for a Rubber or nylon washer? If that washer is missing the garden hose will never seal and water will spray out around the connection.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
jsmith948

This^^^^^!
Believe it or not - the rubber washers were missing on ALL of the hose connections when we took delivery. The dealer either didn't check the flush system or the tech has a side business selling rubber washers

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve seen the washer/screen missing on new units also. It will leak but water will still run through the rinser and into the tank if everything else is the way it should be.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

If the water was blocked further down the line then in my thinking it still shouldn't spray back on the op. Wouldn't a reversed anti siphon valve just act like a closed valve? Unless he has extraordinarily high water pressure the fittings, including the garden hose female, should hold and not leak. The rinser has small holes reducing the flow and thereby creating a restriction so the water will take the path of least resistance, either a poor hose connection or a bad fitting.
To the OP, if it's missing the washer get one with the screen as the rinser end has small holes and CG water is notoriously bad for mineral deposits and critters.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prhodes View Post
It's not under the bathroom sink. How would I know if it's behind the shower? How do I access that area?
You could be absolutely correct, that the anti-siphon valve is not under your bathroom sink, but I'd suggest that you take "one more look to be sure"....

Keystone plumbs the valve in such a way that it usually sits "way up near the top of the vanity, often behind the faucet stems" and is IMPOSSIBLE to see because the sink bowl is in the way...

Take a look under your sink and count the 1/2" PEX lines. If there are 2 (usually one red and one blue) then the anti-siphon valve is not located there.

If, on the other hand, there are 4 (usually one red, one blue and 2 white) then follow the two white lines, your anti-siphon valve is located at the top of those two pipes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Prhodes

Black washer in place, no screen though. I'll call the dealer but their service knowledge I'm not too confident with. I'll keep you guys updated. What's the valve look like?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prhodes View Post
Black washer in place, no screen though. I'll call the dealer but their service knowledge I'm not too confident with. I'll keep you guys updated. What's the valve look like?
Like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JR-Produc...10070301008005

Old 09-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the valve and a typical installation.

My "concern" with the conversation is this: You say you hear the valve "humming" which indicates that water is flowing through the valve from the connection on the side of the trailer. If it's humming, that water is going somewhere. If it's not going into the black tank, where is it going ????? If not into the black tank, are you filling your front storage compartment with water? Maybe the basement, possibly near the converter/power center? Maybe filling the underbelly, setting up a potential for rot and mold ???

If it's "humming" something is being filled with that water.... The "critical question is: WHAT's getting filled?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank antisiphon valve.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	23864  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I was thinking along John's line of thinking. Is it possible you turned the water on, got sprayed, then turned the off? How long was the water on, and how long after turning it off did you realize no water coming out of the tank? Do you have a clear connection on the dump outlet? I know it's a lot of questions but the more information the better for folks to narrow down what "could" be wrong.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Prhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's the valve and a typical installation.

My "concern" with the conversation is this: You say you hear the valve "humming" which indicates that water is flowing through the valve from the connection on the side of the trailer. If it's humming, that water is going somewhere. If it's not going into the black tank, where is it going ????? If not into the black tank, are you filling your front storage compartment with water? Maybe the basement, possibly near the converter/power center? Maybe filling the underbelly, setting up a potential for rot and mold ???

If it's "humming" something is being filled with that water.... The "critical question is: WHAT's getting filled?"
As I was trying to flush it, I pulled the panel off in the storage compartment which exposes the back side of the flush hook up. No water dumping into that area. No water dumping into the storage compartment either. I could barely turn the city water on before it would spray out of the connection. I didn't allow it to run too long as I didn't want to damage anything and wasn't sure water wasn't going elsewhere. If water got into the belly of the camper wouldn't it release itself somewhere? If not, how can I know there is no water in this area? Great information guys....thanks
Old 09-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Your underbelly is probably held in with self tapping screws. 3/8" driver bit will take them out, just take out enough on one side to pull it down and inspect. You will know right away if water is going there.

If the washer is in the fitting then you should be able to tighten the hose enough for it not to spray. I personally think you need to find the anti siphon valve first and verify its installed correctly.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #18
Prhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I was thinking along John's line of thinking. Is it possible you turned the water on, got sprayed, then turned the off? How long was the water on, and how long after turning it off did you realize no water coming out of the tank? Do you have a clear connection on the dump outlet? I know it's a lot of questions but the more information the better for folks to narrow down what "could" be wrong.
I do have a clear connection but nothing coming through. Does this valve hummm if its installed correctly? I left the water on long enough to see if it was leaking where I could see. Keep in mind I barely had the water on. I also have a pressure control on the city connection.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

If the water is turned on, and you have pressure and no leak at the connection on the side of the trailer, then yes the anti siphon valve should "hum" as water is passing through it IF ITS HOOKED UP CORRECTLY. if it is hooked up correctly then the next issue is possibly kinked line. In my work years the kinked line is rare and the backwards valve is common.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
Prhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You could be absolutely correct, that the anti-siphon valve is not under your bathroom sink, but I'd suggest that you take "one more look to be sure"....

Keystone plumbs the valve in such a way that it usually sits "way up near the top of the vanity, often behind the faucet stems" and is IMPOSSIBLE to see because the sink bowl is in the way...

Take a look under your sink and count the 1/2" PEX lines. If there are 2 (usually one red and one blue) then the anti-siphon valve is not located there.

If, on the other hand, there are 4 (usually one red, one blue and 2 white) then follow the two white lines, your anti-siphon valve is located at the top of those two pipes.
Thanks for the information! Valve not under sink. Red, blue only. No white. I can try to follow the white from the flush hook up and see if I can find it. It looks like it runs under the shower then somewhere else

Tags
black tank, tank