Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Cbrez

Water on top of Coroplast

I’ve had several episodes with water collecting on top of the coroplast. First time was easy (so I thought). Found a leak in the water pump and problem was quickly resolved. Second time I dropped the Coroplast but could find no leak. Chocked it up to driving in the rain. Third time happened after being parked for a month in Florida, so driving in the rain ruled out.

Dropped the Coroplast and started checking each plumbing fixture. I knew it wasn’t black water, but wasn’t sure if the leak was fresh or gray water. When nothing showed a leak I decided to overfill the gray water tank (I didn’t dump when parked for long periods until the shower pan backed up). Sure enough, water leaked once the gray water tank overflowed into the shower. Good news is that the leak is easy to control by dumping before the gray tank overflows into the shower pan.

Question though: does anyone know if the shower/waste tank connection should be expected to leak in an overflow situation or do I have an issue I need to fix?

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The connection should NOT leak. Your leak could be the seal, it might be a hole from a screw through the floor. I’ve seen both. If your not inclined to drag it to a repair facility just continue to dump it early.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Cbrez

Thanks Chuckster. I’m taking the RV in for for maintenance later this month. I’ll have them take a look and see what they recommend.

Just wanted to make sure this was not a normal condition and I appreciate your feedback.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My trailer is in the shop at this moment to replace the galley tank. It separated at the top seam causing a leak. Thankfully it and all the other stuff involved is covered by Good Sam extended warranty.

The SM, who has done this for a long time, explained how the tanks are made (nothing like I thought) and how they split. The "splitting/separation" is not normal.

We identified our leak to the galley gray tank. We then figured the solution (while traveling) was to dump every morning (not what we wanted to do). Now it is being replaced because it was a failure of the tank. Look yours over and see what you have. Your waste tanks SHOULD NOT leak when they are full so take necessary measures.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My trailer is in the shop at this moment to replace the galley tank. It separated at the top seam causing a leak. Thankfully it and all the other stuff involved is covered by Good Sam extended warranty.

The SM, who has done this for a long time, explained how the tanks are made (nothing like I thought) and how they split. The "splitting/separation" is not normal.

We identified our leak to the galley gray tank. We then figured the solution (while traveling) was to dump every morning (not what we wanted to do). Now it is being replaced because it was a failure of the tank. Look yours over and see what you have. Your waste tanks SHOULD NOT leak when they are full so take necessary measures.
I’m assuming the leak is at a joint between the shower drain and waste tank, and had not considered that the tank itself could be split on top. I’ll look into that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I am not familiar with exactly how they are constructed but he said the top is attached to the "tub" in some manner was my understanding and then that seam can separate. He said they fix a lot of them. I've asked them to let me see it or at least take pictures of it so I have an idea of what has happened. And yes, my assumption was the leak had to be somewhere where the drain lines entered the tank or the drain line itself.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water