Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Firecapt

Unhappy Starlight 1000 (motion light)

Just a heads-up on the Star Light 1000 http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...1&idcategory=4. I’ve had one for about 3 years and it has worked well. Recently, I had to change the bulb (it burned out), and when I went to unscrew the lens cover to access the bulb, the screw posts disintegrated. The posts are what the lens screws go into in the fixture base. By disintegrated, I mean that the plastic they were made of has degraded to the point that each post just fell apart as I tried to unscrew the lens cover.

My 5th wheel has been parked for the last 2 years (health problems) and the fixture has been in shade the whole time. I keep my 5er hooked up to house power 24/7/365 to maintain the batteries and for occasional use. I can only surmise that the problem is due to heat created by the light coming on and degrading the plastic. Perhaps the plastic that the fixture is made of is not up to the task?

I emailed the company and they offered me free shipping on a new unit (the old one was out of warranty). No explanation or reason for the plastics’ failure.

Just a warning for those of you that have one installed or are thinking of installing one.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote