Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
cocamper

Keystone Carbon water tank leak - OMG poor quality!!!

Have to vent.

Bought a new Keystone Carbon 364 Toyhauler last August, used a couple times last year. Used a couple times this year so far.

When we picked it up we noticed a sharp looking bulge underneath in the coroplast underlayer. But since you can't just access that, we let it go and drove home. After traveling about 2500 miles on the few trips (Moab, CO mtns, etc) we noticed the bulge getting lower and it looked like something was about to pierce the underbelly since the bolts holding it were tearing thru the coroplast.

I cut the coroplast, insulation, and unbolted the sides. That literally SAVED MY FAMILIES LIFE!!!

Two of the water tank support bars (the frame supports) were never attached on one end from the factory so they were just being supported by the coroplast. It was the forward end not attached so that if they would have fallen, they would have spiked into the road when traveling, which would have levered the water tank, dropped the electrical wires, propane lines, and other loose hoses being only held up by the underbelly onto the highway. Probably would have been a spectacular wreck attributed to driver error, of course.

Also, the tank is apparently missing one entire support bar nearest the tank drain, intake, sensors. This has distorted the entire tank, and towing with only two bars on bent the bars that were installed about 4 inches! So the tank distortion has now caused a water leak at the main drain.

I took pics that clearly showed the bars never being attached on one side and sent them to Keystone. The response I got was 'bring it to a dealer, that's what you agreed to'.

Sadly, in the Denver area, the Keystone RV dealers have a two month wait now along with a you didn't buy it here, so we will not service your unit policy.

So supposed to have a big trip to Moab with 6 other families and units over Memorial day, and my new Keystone Carbon Toyhauler leaks and can't be fixed!

**** **** !!! Keystone and your lack of quality control and warranty service! It's like they built this on a Friday and everyone decided to quit early to go drinking.

I'm going to try to contact the factory tomorrow and see if I can tow it back to IN from CO and see if maybe they aren't too busy pushing new units to fix this one. I'm not optimistic.

Any suggestion on fixing this are welcome.

thanks for reading the rant. $60k for nothing.

Raptor, Carbon, Fusion, Impact, Outback all built by Keystone. Please check your underbelly, and if you seen anything suspicious, check it out!
cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

cocamper I understand your frustration. The statement "When we picked it up we noticed a sharp looking bulge underneath in the coroplast underlayer. But since you can't just access that, we let it go and drove home." perplexes me. If you bought a $60K truck and when you went to pick it up would you take it home if the bed of the truck was falling down? The simplest cure to getting these items fixed is by not taking delivery until they repair all defects. No delivery = no money for the dealer and nothing gets their attention faster than that. I realize that many will drive vast distances either thru necessity or to save money but it's easier in my thoughts to address issues like this before driving it away. The factory will not authorize returning it to the factory, only a dealer can do that as only a dealer can get warranty authorization from Keystone.
Apparently Keystone does or did have an issue with the water tank mounting as I've seen several posts here regarding the issue. I hope you get this resolved quickly, let us know how it works out for you.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
mikz86ta

Not just Keystone....

https://youtu.be/-ZTdhFSQisU
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, leak, quality, tank, water