Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
parkgirl

replacing hot/stuck light switch

We have a double light switch on the wall of our trailer just inside the door, with one of the rocker switches controlling the outside light and the other one controlling three inside lights that run along the middle of the ceiling. The three lights can also be turned on or off by rocker switches right on the light itself. The switch on the wall has to be in the on position to be able to turn on each of these lights individually. If all three have been turned on then the wall switch turns them all off at the same time. This wall switch started to get hot and got very difficult to turn on or off. I eventually had to force it to get it to shut off and now we are not using those lights at all until we replace this switch. (The other switch beside it seems to be fine--we rarely use the outside light)

My question is: I've been looking at switch replacements and there are all sorts of options with ON/ON, ON/OFF and then variations with ON or OFF in brackets. I am assuming that this would be an ON/OFF switch, but was wondering if this particular switch which controls the three lights is different in any way (sort of like a three-way switch for a normal house is different). I called our dealer and they were of no help at all.
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It's going to be a simple on/off switch. I can't remember if there is different amp ratings, but if there is get the highest rated one.

Your switch shouldn't be getting hot with 3 lights on. That's 6 bulbs, what number are they? Probably 921's?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
parkgirl

I'm not sure if they're 921's. We've never had to change one, so I haven't looked, and they are the one's that came installed in the new trailer by Keystone. I assume they are 921's and I'd like to replace them with LED's if that's not too difficult and maybe that will help with the heat at the switch?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Changing to LED's would do wonders. Search for LED replacement and there is lots of threads with great information on which ones are the best.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
parkgirl

I'll do that, thanks for your replies.

Tags
light