Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
buzzcop63

Winter in a Cougar, one morning at -4 degrees!

My nephew bought a new Cougar 19RBWE trailer at end of June 2016 and moved it out to north central Washington. He was away from home and wife and needed a place to live while he worked a construction job. During the summer months he ran the air conditioner regularly without any problems staying cool in the hot weather.

Around October he noticed the folks that were going to be living in the RV Park for the winter were having 100-gallon propane tanks delivered and set up next to their trailers so he chose to rent one as well (this was one of the best decisions he said he made). Mid December the water pipe he had connected to froze up due to faulty heat tape. At this time he disconnected his water hose and pressure regulator from the RV park spigot as the park host thawed the pipe. When he reattached his water hose (with heat tape on it) he neglected to include the pressure regulator, big mistake! Although he enjoyed higher water pressure while showering, the lack of that regulator caused the pipe just inside the trailer to begin to leak. The leak didn't cause any damage but it was an inconvenience, as he had to replace the pipe and dry out that area. During the extreme cold temps he set the thermostat at 70 and hoped for the best. The person next to him used an electric space heater to save on propane, this turned out to be a bad idea! The electric heater caused his furnace to not come on therefore not circulating any heat in the small space under the floor where the ductwork and water lines run resulting in a complete freeze up.

As the temps began to dip down into the sub zero range his furnace had to work harder and harder. He would wake in the morning to find his pillow frozen to the wall, his clothes frozen to the walls inside the little closets and the windows frozen with a thick layer of ice on them. He also had a problem with the holding tank valves freezing shut so he decided to skirt his trailer with 3/4" foam insulation board and placed a heat lamp under the trailer, he knew he should have done this much earlier. To avoid frozen clothes he would leave the closet doors open and to keep ice from forming on the windows he placed multi purpose foil on the inside of them (this is the stuff that looks like foil lined bubble wrap). Although he had two dehumidifiers there still seemed to be a small condensation problem. He asked a few people how to avoid this and was told to leave the vents slightly open but with the temperature near zero and a constant wind of 20+ mph he found it counter productive to keeping the trailer adequately heated.

Over all if you are going to use your Cougar trailer in the types of cold temperatures that my nephew found you are going to have to make a few modifications but after those are made you will find a warm and comfortable place to live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170102_090216851.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	11847  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
notanlines

Just reading your little story made me walk over and turn the electric heater up one notch.....and we're in south Florida!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Steve S

It sounds to me like there's more of a problem going on in the inside as I've never had problems remotely like this and I've been in the sub temps many times. I've never seen ice on my windows but I use the window film which makes a big difference. I use an electric space heater which rotates and has a fan along with the furnace. I've tried an oil heater twice and they just don't cut it.
The most important thing is ventilation, I leave the roof vents open 24/7. If you don't have proper air circulation then you'll run into many problems.
Skirting your trailer is the way to go especially if you have lots of wind.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
hdxbonez

Ive been full timing in my Cougar since last summer in northern New Hampshire. Most winter nights up here are in the single digits, with many nights sub zero. I have had no condensation issues, dont keep any vents open, and have yet to hear my dehumidifier even run. I wonder why your nephew is getting so much? Frozen pipes were an issue the first time it got down to -15* below zero, but I've since added a small fan that blows ambient air directly into the underbelly area, and haven't had any problems since. I shared my modifications here a while back-

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=27186
Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just reading your little story made me walk over and turn the electric heater up one notch.....and we're in south Florida!
Tomatoes are growing. Fertilized the lawn. Edged, mowed, and weed whacked last week and about due again. Trimmed roses and fertlized them. Trying to wax the 5th. A/C been running a few weeks. I need to pour some Drano down the condensate line. Keeping an eye out for snakes.
Need to fish.
Winter? What winter?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, cougar