Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Astroinfidel

Canadian full time contents insurance question

Hi everyone,

I recently retired and sold the house and in the spring I will begin full timing in my recently acquired 2009 Everest. I am looking for a solution to a problem that I have run into while shopping for insurance in Ontario. I am an astrophotographer, and that will be the focus of my travelling to the desert states for 6 months of the year for the foreseeable future. For the rest of the year I will be parked at my lot at a lake in Quebec.
The problem is between astrophotography equipment, a paramotor, and skydiving equipment, the contents of the 5er will be worth around $60,000 Canadian. Wayfarer has a maximum for contents of just $15,000. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find insurance for these items where ever I am travelling in the US and when I am parked at my lot in Quebec? Thanks!

Dean Fournier
Pembroke, Ontario
Astroinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most basic insurance policies in the US have an "established maximum" for "stated coverage amounts". Most insurance companies offer "increased coverage for an increased premium price". You'd have to discuss this with your insurance company/agent to determine what's available in Canada and what you can negotiate with him or with your insurance company in the US for coverage while in this country.

I'd suppose it's much like the "added declarations" for increased insurance coverage for jewelry, guns, antiques and other valuable items that are "extra" and not included in "the basics"....

Only your insurance agent and/or the company can tell you exactly what is available to you, but I feel certain you can get coverage. The question would be is it worth the added cost? That's something only you can decide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote