Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
8-ball

Avalanche or other

Ok I did a quick search to see if this topic had been covered but couldn't find anything. I am looking at a Avalanche 365MB, its about 200 miles away from me so before I drove to the dealer I called to ask two very important questions. 1) does it have a heated and enclosed underbelly? and 2) What is the insulation R value? From Keystones website I can find that it has a one-piece underbelly and ducted and heated holding tanks but I cant find anything about R value or heated underbelly? The guy on the phone took about 30 sec to tell me that it does have a heated underbelly and the R value on roof and floor was 34 and sides were R18. How quickly he answered made me suspecious and the fact that keystone doesn't list that on their site.

Background: I am a travel nurse in each location for 3 months. My wife and I want to travel in an Rv with our two small dogs. We were hoping for a mid bunk style so that my wife can have an office or a place to put the dogs when she needs them out of the way. Plus the loft above allows for storage. I do get placed in some colder climates so I need that ability even if I have to pay extra. Other brands I have considered were Grand design 377MB, Big horn traveler 39MB, and a alpine with a small toy hauler section which could work for an office or storage Alpine 3900RE. I am hoping to stay under $55K so that my payments are less than $500/month I was told interest rates are around 5% right now so that is how I am factoring that. Plus I live in TN with a 10% sales tax. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hoping to buy by January.
8-ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
m&m

Re: Avalanche or other

I have the 365MB. I enjoy the workmanship compared to previous TT. This is my first 5R.
I have the 4 seasons pkg. sealed under belly. This a brand new unit this year. If I can figure out how I will post pics. My unit was way over you price range. I got the auto level system which ads greatly to price. The extra room can be used as an office or bed rm. The jack knife be can be removed and chairs put in to allow more room. Will try to send pics
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
8-ball

So its a sealed underbelly...Is it heated? Do you know the R value? What temp would you consider taking it to? Sorry but I just want to make an informed decision. I am considering buying aftermarket skirting but I don't knoiw how much that will help.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
m&m

I got some pics (m&m) loaded. The belly is closed. There are vents from above to heat below. previous covered TT to freezing and had no problem. I would feel ok at freezing temps. Going above 34th I would be careful in mid winter. I would wrap the outside if 10 or below. Will find out in a month how it handles the cold. The front lower compartment is not heated.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the Keystone Avalanche brochure (2017) on page 12, the R value for the walls is R10, the floor is R37 and the roof is R28. The windows are single pane and dual pane windows are an option. The underbelly is "insulated" with thermofoil (aluminized bubblewrap), fiberglass batting, rigid foam and the bottom layer is "coroplast" (corrugated plastic sheeting). There is a 2" heat duct that runs from the furnace into the underbelly. Additionally, the other "main heating ducts" are "non-insulated" foil ducting (similar to a dryer vent duct) and they "meander" through the underbelly. This provides some added heat as it "leaks through the duct walls". The bottom of the holding tanks is not protected except for the thin layer of "coroplast".

There appears to be more insulation and better "heat management" in the current model Avalanche than in other "less expensive" fifth wheels manufactured by Keystone.

You can download the brochure at http://www.keystonerv.com/media/2882..._nov15_web.pdf There is a wealth of information on the Keystone website, little of which you'll find at most dealerships.

Regardless of which brand or model fifth wheel you decide to buy, keep in mind that it's still a "trailer" and won't be insulated as well as most "stick built homes" and will probably use significantly more LP gas and electricity than a similar sized permanent dwelling. Additionally, the water supply hose and the sewer hose will need to be "managed aggressively" to keep them from freezing.

As for price, most that I see advertised on the internet carry a MSRP of 75 - 85 thousand and are being advertised for around 50K. Add sales tax, delivery, prep charges and you're looking in the neighborhood of your $55K limit. You may find a 2016 unit in a similar floorplan that is discounted even more than the current models.

With no knowledge of your lifestyle or recreational pastimes, keep in mind that two people living in less than 400 sq ft during inclement weather, when "trapped inside" often find that the space really becomes much smaller than they'd prefer, so consider more than "just staying warm" in your decisions on whether to full time in a fifth wheel. It can be a very rewarding experience and it can also turn into a very costly investment "loss" should you discover that one (or possibly both) of you don't want to "live that way" after a month of "winter camping"..... That's not to say you won't enjoy full timing, but if you haven't done it before and have only limited experience with RV's, there are significant considerations beyond "it's the same as a small version of our house"...

Good Luck with your search and if you have any questions, someone here will probably be able to give you a "experienced" answer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
8-ball

Thank you for that information. That really aided my decision. In my current situation we are renting small apartments at inflated prices for 3 months at a time. plus they charge extra for our dogs each place...its really annoying and some are no more than a whole in the wall, seriously the place we stayed in baltimore was tiny and I was afraid I was gonna get shot every day on my way to the truck.