Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
tgoodwin321

State Farm $150/year for our 238mlwe. They replaced the roof for $6000 after a month of ownership when a tree branch went through on our second trip ever. $500 deductible and no hassle process. Been with SF 20yrs and always have had the same great experience with them.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #22
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I'm taking delivery of my Keystone Bullet 308BHS in a few weeks and was shopping for RV insurance. My primary insurer is Geico and I just called for a quote. I couldn't believe what they quoted me. Almost $1250 every 6 months? Seriously???? I just did an online quote with Good Sam. Yearly quote was $219. Ok. Am I missing something? My driving record is squeaky clean. I'm at a loss for words with Geico's quote. Anyone have recommendations for a good RV insurer?
That seems high. I have Geico and my Passport 2810BH cost me only $134 every 6 months. FYI, the quote from Good Sam was around $700 a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #23
Murphsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
When towing you are covered by your truck insurance. You only need insurance when not towing. I think mine is about $250 per year.

Bobby
Only the liability portion of the insurance is covered by the tow vehicle. Comprehensive and collision are not covered, whether you are towing or not. If you hit a deer, have a huge rock come down the hill and land on your rig or take gravel to a window, your comp covers that. If you collide with another vehicle, that is covered by collision. If you do not carry comp and collusion on your trailer, only your liability when hitting something else is covered. It sounds like you need to check your policy to be sure you are covered.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #24
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
That seems high. I have Geico and my Passport 2810BH cost me only $134 every 6 months. FYI, the quote from Good Sam was around $700 a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I live in Michigan and the trailer will be registered in this state too. My belief is that Geico prices out premiums high like this as they do not want to insure in a NO-fault state. I've only competitively shopped Good Sam and Progressive. Rates were between $210 - 400/year with $250 comp and collision deductibles. In fact, I had Good Sam price auto insurance for me and they beat out Geico by $200. Unfortunately, I insure my home too with Geico and they were more than $300 less collectively between my vehicles and home. I probably will just purchase stand alone RV insurance with one of the forementioned companies in this thread.
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #25
B-O-B'03

I have the Hartford, through AARP for everything (Home & 3 vehicles) and I think it was around $200 to add the camper with a declared value of $20K (what I paid for it, new).

The deductible is $500

The insurance is the only reason I joined AARP, and the rate, for the autos, is unbeatable, so far by anyone I have talked to... by several hundred dollars.

I have let Costco, AAA and Allstate bid it and they are a little cheaper on the house, but not enough to offset how much higher they are on the auto.

-Brian
Old 03-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #26
busterbrown

So I signed up with Good Sam RV Insurance

My coverages below:

Diminishing Deductible
RV Emergency Expense: $750 Each Accident
RV Vacation Liability: $10,000 Each Accident
Other Than Collision (Comprehensive): $500
Collision: $500
Personal Effects: $3000
Accident Forgiveness: Yes

Total year Premium: $311.00

So, my understanding is that none of the liability portion is needed as with a automobile. I'm still not sure what the RV Vacation Liability is covering? Do I need to change (or increase) any coverage's with my insured towed vehicle, now that I will be pulling the trailer?

This is my first travel trailer. I want to be protected but don't want to duplicate those protections.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

From what I understand, in Michigan, your RV is covered for liability by the tow vehicle insurance "ONLY" when connected. It is covered for liability by the homeowner's insurance "ONLY" when parked in the yard. That leaves a "gap" in liability coverage should anyone be injured when you're at a campsite, or if someone happens to get hurt by your awning falling on them (I know, highly unlikely) as they walk past your RV in a windstorm...

So, the "vacation liability" covers your trailer for any liability during the times it's not parked in the yard or connected to the tow vehicle.

With Progressive (I'd guess Good Sam is similar) it would cover someone being injured at your campsite while you were camping. Check with your policy to see if your family members are covered, with my policy, it's only "non-family" members who can file a claim for damages using the vacation liability. Family members would have to file on personal health insurance or personal accident insurance...

One "beneficial for me" coverage that I don't see on your list is "full replacement value" for total loss. On many policies, there is a provision to replace the lost RV (total loss only) with a new model of the same brand for a number of years after purchase. That coverage would be beneficial if 2 or 3 years from now you experience an accident and the trailer is "totaled". The coverage would reimburse you the cost of a "new model of the same trailer". That would mean no depreciation and no monetary loss to you for the number of years specified. My policy is for 7 years. Other policies may be for a different number of years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
Pmedic4

RV insurance

RV insurance is definitely something you have to explore on your own. We've had State Farm for a long time, and it was easy to get it for our RV as required, as we have a loan on our RV. After reading several other posts about insurance, and what you get for your dollar, I checked around with many companies, and was surprised. Of course, if your a Good Sam member you get some advertisement every month about their insurance. I started my search with them, and I spoke with an agent, and even they were surprised how expensive the Good Sam coverage was for our 5ver - been a few years, but even then it was like $1500 a year. The agent was great, and said let the check around, and they found something less, but still in the $800-900 range. Checking all the rest, I ended back at State Farm, I don't think they were the absolute lowest, but within a few bucks, and not worth changing to someone else, especially since they have all our other vehicles.

Plus, you have to check what and when they cover, as JRTJH mentions. The companies have wide differences in coverage, and replacement.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 AM   #29
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, the "vacation liability" covers your trailer for any liability during the times it's not parked in the yard or connected to the tow vehicle.
That's what I believed it to be.

Quote:
One "beneficial for me" coverage that I don't see on your list is "full replacement value" for total loss.
I declined that coverage but as I read more about it, I may add it to the policy prior to taking delivery.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Surely the replacement coverage isn't for everyone. You know your financial situation and should make the decisions on coverage based on your own needs. That said, often the "wholesale value" of an RV can decrease substantially during the first 2-5 years. Often you'll find a 3 year old RV for sale at half the price of the "MSRP" when it was new.

With 12 year financing, should something happen to your trailer during the first 4 or 5 years, you may find that if it's considered a "total loss", the amount the insurance company offers you wouldn't be enough to even pay off your loan, which could mean you not only lose your trailer's equity, you also are responsible to pay the balance of the mortgage over the insurance payment.

With 4 or 5 year automobile financing, after a year or two, you'll usually "break even" if your car is totaled. With 12 year RV financing, you may find that you owe much more than the RV is worth if it's totaled.

"New Model Replacement" insurance coverage goes a long way toward protecting your investment during those "upside down years"....

Of course, as with any insurance, if nothing happens, it's just "money wasted".... (except for the peace of mind, that is)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

While on this topic something to think about is the liability portion that's been discussed. The liability on your vehicle will cover when something happens pulling the RV but some of the required levels of coverage are ridiculously low. Something that's not thought about too much is the extensive damage that can be caused by the fact that you ARE pulling the RV and what kind of physical or personal damage it can cause in addition to the vehicle. If you are found liable those costs could be astronomical. For that reason I carry the max liability offered on anything/everything I own and then carry a multi-million dollar umbrella policy. It's cheap and helps with the "peace of mind". Just something to think about.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
cardinal96ss

We have Geico for our home and all vehicles, including our 36Ft Montana here in Nebraska. The RV costs $336/year.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #33
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
We have Geico for our home and all vehicles, including our 36Ft Montana here in Nebraska. The RV costs $336/year.
Geico price themselves out of the Michigan market. $2400 per year for the unit I'm buying! Their auto and home owners premium are very competitive though, as I insure my cars and home through them. I was dumbfounded by the quoted rate for my travel trailer. Good Sam has me just over $300 for the same coverages.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #34
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Surely the replacement coverage isn't for everyone. You know your financial situation and should make the decisions on coverage based on your own needs. That said, often the "wholesale value" of an RV can decrease substantially during the first 2-5 years. Often you'll find a 3 year old RV for sale at half the price of the "MSRP" when it was new.

With 12 year financing, should something happen to your trailer during the first 4 or 5 years, you may find that if it's considered a "total loss", the amount the insurance company offers you wouldn't be enough to even pay off your loan, which could mean you not only lose your trailer's equity, you also are responsible to pay the balance of the mortgage over the insurance payment.

With 4 or 5 year automobile financing, after a year or two, you'll usually "break even" if your car is totaled. With 12 year RV financing, you may find that you owe much more than the RV is worth if it's totaled.

"New Model Replacement" insurance coverage goes a long way toward protecting your investment during those "upside down years"....

Of course, as with any insurance, if nothing happens, it's just "money wasted".... (except for the peace of mind, that is)...
Our trailer is covered for what it cost, new.
The premium is $161/year, with $77 deductible for comp and $477 for collision.

-Brian
Old 03-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Our trailer is covered for what it cost, new.
The premium is $161/year, with $77 deductible for comp and $477 for collision.

-Brian
There is a significant disparity in the insurance regulations between the states. What is applicable to Texas may not even be addressed in Michigan insurance regulations. Rates, premiums, policy coverage is "night and day" different from company to company and there is even more disparity from state to state.

Instate coverage from company to company might be comparing "apples to oranges" different (instate companies may not even offer the same options). Out of state coverage, whether it's the same company or different companies is akin to comparing "monsters to kittens".... They are in a "whole different world" !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS