Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
Barry

Help with second AC circut

Hi everybody. I have an idea in my head and just wanted to run it by the pros here. In the summer, when its good and hot outside, the AC will kick out the breaker for the camper. Now, we only have a 30 service, which I think is kind of under powered for a 38 foot camper, but that's the way it came new. What I would like to do, is run a second line and have it just for the AC. So, I would have one 30 amp line for the camper, everything except the AC. Then another 30 amp line just for the AC. But, I have a couple questions about this.... Is it a good idea? Can it be done? Should it be done? Anybody ever do it? Got any tips on how to do it? Do I need 30 amps for the AC? Do I need 30 amps for the camper without the AC? Could I get away with a 30 amp and a 20 amp line?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, keep in mind that your "current 30 amp service" was the "gold standard" for all travel trailers until a few years ago. All but the largest fifth wheels had 30 amp service. Recently, even "entry level" fifth wheels and most larger conventional travel trailers are available with 50 amp service either "standard" or as "optional equipment". All 30 amp service (in RV's) is just that, 30 amps while 50 amp service is actually 50 amps on two separate legs, for a total of 100 amps. That's more than 3 times the power availability found in the "old gold standard".

There are several ways to "jury rig" an electrical circuit into your RV. Your idea is one of those alternatives. One member here tackled the problem in a different way by adding a second 30 amp service. His, and your idea, both require a second power cord to attach to the campground "power pole". At some of the campgrounds we visited this summer, there is only one power connection at each campsite. It's a 50 amp outlet. To use it, you'd have to either have a 50 amp plug adapter to connect your 30 amp service or some type of "home made" adapter to connect two 30 amp plugs. Almost all of the "older campgrounds" have multiple connections on the "power post" but it appears that is not the type of post being installed in newer campgrounds. Only having one outlet may present a future problem for your "multiple plug" power system.

Ideally, the way to do it is to simply replace your current 30 amp service with a 50 amp service. To do that would upgrade your supply cord, inlet connection, circuit breaker panel and, if you choose, your converter. The converter is a "separate unit" on most trailers and, if you're not having any issues with more DC power, the current converter should be sufficient.

By upgrading your current circuit breaker panel, you can "pick and choose" which parts of the electrical system are connected to each of the 50 amp legs. This would give you the added capacity to operate two air conditioners, one on each leg, and still have more than enough power for your remaining electrical needs.

Here is one 30/50 amp power center that is likely to be "1:1" compatible as a "change out" component for your current power center. You may well be able to simply remove your old component, install this new one and connect your current converter to the DC side and be done.: http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-893050/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Brantlaker

This might help you a 50 amp to 2 30 amp adaptor.

http://www.ecspremier.com/50-Amp-Mal..._a_7cM50ML30FY

I have seen it used at a campground in Florida. He ran a separate circuit to the bedroom AC.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Barry

Well, I probably should have mentioned that this camper is set up on a permanent spot at the lake we go to. I already have a "power pole" set up beside the camper. It has a 30 amp outlet that I'm plugged into now. I also have two 20 amp outlets on the same pole, but they are on a different circut. I did just look in the "breaker box" of the camper, and the AC is on a 20 amp breaker. So, what I'm thinking is just wire the AC to the 20 amp outlet on the pole.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're in a permanent location and can "hard wire" it, then that's probably your best bet. Just make sure that somewhere on that pole is a 20 amp breaker to protect the air conditioner. You can use 12AWG Romex to make a run to the pole (UG rated gray insulation) and simply install an electrical box behind the trailer power center to "contain" the wire nuts at the splice.

That's an easy one to do LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Don't quote me, but it seems like I remember the Dometic rep saying you could run a pair of "Penquin" units on a 30A service. May be the high capacity model, 12.9 amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
Barry

Thanks JRTJH. That's exactly what I was hoping to do. Just wasn't sure if it would work or not. Any ideas on the camper part of the wiring? Whats the best way to get to it? Is it better to go from the plug straight to the AC unit? Or is it better to go from the plug to the breaker inside the camper? Thoughts, ideas?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd pull the power distribution center, (first unplug the trailer !!!) and remove the wiring from the A/C (20 amp) circuit breaker. Route that wire out of the distribution center, install a "plastic blue electrical box" ($1 from HD or Lowes) behind the distribution center, route that A/C wire into the box, take a "sufficient length" of 12AWG romex and connect it to the A/C wire with wire nuts and put a plastic cover on the electrical box. Route the other end of that Romex out of the camper, either through your "mouse hole" or where ever you choose, install a 20 amp plug on the end of that Romex, plug it in and check to see if the A/C operates. It should, then unplug it, reinstall the power distribution center, plug in your "newly wired A/C" and replug the trailer power cord. Open that "well deserved" adult beverage.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
spicercars

You must not have very good power there. I have the big ac in my toy hauler and it will run for days on a 30 amp circuit.