Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
bubster2

Oops

Well I had my first oops with our home away from home. I removed our dinette recently as I did not want it in the first place, that went well and love the setup we moved one of the rocker chairs over there and the DW wanted a ottoman. So since I have a spot open where the chair was figured it would be a good spot for the ottoman's since I bought two. As I was opening slide out from out side to make sure it would clear outside obstacles I hear a popping sound, I stop immediately and go inside to find with two ottoman's there's not quite enough room for the slide to clear. Popped the trim on the slide about 2/3 up the slide.not how I wanted to start my trip, but what are you going to do so pulled the outside trim pieces off saw what I needed, went to Wal-Mart for supplies, came back and silicone, drill and screw in main trim board then the rest of the trim. Got lucky and looks like it never happened. Don't plan on putting the ottoman's in that spot again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

bubster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
KimNTerry

I Recently had a similar experience with a drawer. Drawer was partially open and you can't see it from where the slide controls are. The extending slide caught the drawer on the way out. Popped the slide trim loose, bent the drawer slides and broke the stile on the cabinet that the drawer slide screws into. I managed to straighten the drawer slides and get the drawer re-installed and functioning. The trim piece did not come very loose and it popped right back into place. I still need to repair the cabinet stile.

These things, they happen.
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Similar story about rear entertainment cabinet doors. Can't be seen till after the P-O-P!

I now keep them closed in transit using a bungee loop around the opposing door handles. Haven't had a problem since.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Pmedic4

Ooops with Trim on Slideout

Didn't do this, but on our Cougar, noticed the large moulding on the slideout trim was coming loose. Fortunately noticed it before it fell off!, as I'm sure it would have broken some part of it.

It was just held on by a few nails from a 18 ga trim nailer, so I also used Silicon glue to hold it on, plus the 18 gauge nails. I felt the silicon is at least flexible enough to be pried off, where if I used Wood Glue/Gorilla glue, it would damage the part or other trim.

Wondering if anyone else noticed this on their Slideouts?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
WaltBennett

I've had this happen once with a previous TT and twice with our Montana when doors popped open (or weren't shut to begin with). I've taken to only opening the two living room slides when I'm inside and can watch. I can't get to the rear of the trailer unless they're at least partly out to shut doors or move things, but it hasn't happened again. Don't think I'd want to use any glue at all on that trim though - I believe it's better to have it pop loose and have to brad nail it back than have it break (or bend something).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
kimanderson98642

I haven't broken anything yet but have read so many stories about it happening that I have started using straps on all interior doors to make sure they stay closed. Takes a little longer when getting ready to leave but much better than making repairs.
I have saved a lot of damage by reading about others misfortune.
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Campy

I always do a quick check before moving the slides because on one trip the remote for the TV got left out and it fell down in there and got crushed when we opened the slide. Sucks having to get up to change channels on the TV.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
I always do a quick check before moving the slides because on one trip the remote for the TV got left out and it fell down in there and got crushed when we opened the slide. Sucks having to get up to change channels on the TV.
A "universal remote control" can be found as cheaply as $5.39 at WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-RCR504...emote/21054244

While it may not be "the exact same" as your damaged remote, it will help with the "sucks having to get up...." issues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
thatdjguy

That's why I just don't listen to the wife!
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote