Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
jaymxr

disc brakes

I was wondering if I could get some advise from those of you that had electric brakes and converted to hydraulic disc brakes. I was getting ready to replace all my electric backing plate with newer self adjusting ones. I read an article about Titan International makes a conversion kit to disc brakes. I would like as much input as I can get as far as is it benificial to upgrade or just keep the electric brakes. The conversion kit runs about $1,5000.00 and new backing plates run 80 bucks each. I've never had any trouble with my electric brakes yet. I'n fact there still the original ones from the factory. I only use my 5er 3 times a year mabey 1k miles a year. Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

jaymxr -
First, it doesn't seem to make much financial sense to make this conversion. You didn't say who would do the work but if you are paying someone to do this, you'll be looking at somewhere around $2500. That's a fair chunk of change to replace your trouble-free electric brakes with another brake system.

You also said that you use your 5th wheel 3 times a year and travel around 1000 miles. At that rate, your present electric brakes will last you a long, long time even though it is an '07. With yearly inspection and maintenance, your current brakes will do just fine.

If it were me, I'd save the $$$ since I don't think that it is an economical or needed upgrade.

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it" ????
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Not sure what the purpose of the upgrade would be. Disc brakes on a car is a performance upgrade that shortens stopping distance over the old drum systems. On a TT or 5er I just can't see that making much of a difference. I've only had to brake hard a couple times and the wheels locked up, I'm sure they'd do the same with the disc brake system which isn't ideal. My thoughts might be different if you said it was a disc ABS system for that price.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Steve S

I did the conversion on my last trailer and I think the parts were around a grand and it was well worth it.
Here in B.C there's plenty of steep hills and I really hated the surge of electric brakes as they never really come on softly when you jump on them.
My thoughts on your application would be to leave it alone as you really don't put many miles on it.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
rjsurfer

If you haven't experienced any problems with your electric drum brakes leave them alone. This is coming from someone in the middle of a disc brake conversion.

Unfortunately for me I have had nothing but trouble with my drum brakes from day one (2008). I have always had erratic braking, constant brake controller adjustments and leaking seals with soaked linings. I even went for completely new brake assemblies which helped but for me at least wasn't a cure.

I vowed never again to go cross country with drum brakes again.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Pull Toy

I had a horse trailer once with hydraulics. Never again! Every time I wanted to back up, I had to jump down and lock them out, especially on the uphill backing, then jump out again to pull the lock out pin. I also could never adjust the "Surge" out of them. At least with electrics, you can change the gain on the controller, to add or subtract trailer brakes.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Spacetrucker

I have them on the toy hualer. 44 ft toy. What a big dif having them on stop really fast and short. So to do my 2014 you hauler was 25995.00 I doe drive a load up and down dam big hills and in city they are the only way to go.. So in turn are worth it? Dam right they are. Never look back will do it on my new 2016 toyhualer in January, when it gets here. But found out that they're puting them on the new 2016 trl now, wow that's going to be great. 44ft toyhualer. Can't Waite... Just do it if you drive up and down big hills and in lots of stop and go ares ...will pay for it self and your Ins will go down to for safety of you and trl and all int the truck.
Spacetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
notanlines

Pulltoy, disk brakes on a travel trailer are not surge operated, they are actuated with a device similar to ActuLink electric/hydraulic actuator by DirecLink. A good one runs about 6-800 dollars. Boat and horse trailers generally are surge operated and are fair at best. We changed from drum to disk on our 40 foot boat trailer, but truthfully it wasn't much better.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
gearhead

Supposedly drum brakes are better at stopping than discs. More swept area...pad to drum area vs. caliper pad to disc. That is why drums are used on 18 wheelers, I've been told.
Discs should dissipate heat better, particularly of they are ventilated discs.
I ain't getting into the cross drilled argument.
All that said, if I was living and driving in the Rocky Mtns., I might consider discs. Might.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #10
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Supposedly drum brakes are better at stopping than discs. More swept area...pad to drum area vs. caliper pad to disc. That is why drums are used on 18 wheelers, I've been told.
Discs should dissipate heat better, particularly of they are ventilated discs.
I ain't getting into the cross drilled argument.
All that said, if I was living and driving in the Rocky Mtns., I might consider discs. Might.
Technically drums may have more swept area etc but there is more to it than that, its the design and implementation of those cheap Chinese drum brakes that are lacking. Lousy brake pads, springs, drums and poor quality parts. And that electro magnet movement to activate the shoes, yeesh they look like something I'm would design

I doubt if Dexter makes drum brakes for 18 wheelers at least I hope they don't.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #11
Bluewater

I am in the process of switching my 36' 5er over to disc right now. Living in the west with all the up and down driving with these cheap drum bakes makes it a real no brainer. Can't wait to get it all together and on the road.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
Toyhusky

Steve S,
I am in BC as well, I'm curious where you get the parts from and who installed them? I was looking into upgrading my truck brakes as I was never pleased with the braking ability when I upgraded my trailer to a Fuzion FZ342. Then I read the article from Titan International and was convinced that this was the way to go. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Toyhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
WaltBennett

I've only had electric drum brakes on three trailers. Our current 5er stops fine with the original brakes it had when we bought it 3 years back, but I'm going to replace them with new assemblies this winter just to be on the safe side. We've put about 20k miles on the old ones and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The most common serious problem I've seen anyone have with drums has stemmed from having bearings repacked the old fashioned way and not replacing seals (or not doing it right), or greasing Ez-Lube hubs incorrectly and blowing out seals. Because our 5er has the Ez-Lube hubs, I grease them myself just to avoid the issues when it's not done right.

Although disks will stop a big 5er much better, IMHO there's the issue with how much the tires you have will stand the breaking before locking up - and then the extra braking capability doesn't matter anymore. Although we've been doing a fair amount of traveling, I don't think the cost vs. benefit equation is in favor of converting unless we lived in the mountains and/or traveled a lot in them.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote