Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
flash01

Bedroom slide leak

I have a 2010 5th Montana 3400RL. I am having leak problems in the bedroom slide. Standing at the foot of the bed, facing the head of the bed the floor on the lower right hand side at the head of the bed gets wet during a hard blowinig rain. Does not matter if slide is in or out. I have checked seals, caulking and also made sure slide is extending and retracting properly. Cannot figure out how the water is getting in. No water stains on walls or ceilings. Anyone have any suggestions on how the water is getting in.
I traded in a Hitchhicker LS that had the same problem. I sure was hoping a new rv and a different manufacturer would make it so I didn't have leaking issues. You would think what one pays for these rv's they would not leak. I noticed mine leaking the first hard rain that I was actually in the camper. Of course that was when the rv was already out of warranty.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you
flash01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
bsmith0404

If the water is always at the foot of the bed extended or retracted, it sounds like it is running down the bed rail somehow/some where. Can you take the top off the bed and see the business underneath? That may expose some info that will be helpful.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
flash01

Bedroon Slide Leak

The leak is at the head of the bed.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash01 View Post
The leak is at the head of the bed.
Sorry, missed that part. still same question, can you remove the top of the bed and get a good look underneath?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
flash01

No, you cannot remove the top of the bed. The leak is on the floor right in the very front against the slide out wall in the corner. I can see that there are no water stains on the wall going down to the bottom corner. Only thing wet is the carpet on the floor in the corner. Of course we had a very hard rain this week, so the carpet is wet all the way down the side of the bed. The slide was in.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
trueweb

If you could upload some pictures that would help.

I've been fighting with water issues with my slide as well. I'm waiting for another good rain to test my repairs now. Not that I really want to know the results.

A couple places to look:

Look at the flashing and screws on the outside of the slide to make sure there are no breaks in the caulk or silicon. If the caulk looks dirty underneath or loose. Pick at it, if it lifts easily or pops off water may be getting in there.

Look at the bottom of the slide. I've seen numerous posts on water wicking around the bottom of the slide and riding underneath the floor into the living area or even using water tension to pull itself to the top of the floor between the siding and the floor. Once it hits absorbent materials like wood or carpet it can travel almost anywhere.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash01 View Post
No, you cannot remove the top of the bed. The leak is on the floor right in the very front against the slide out wall in the corner. I can see that there are no water stains on the wall going down to the bottom corner. Only thing wet is the carpet on the floor in the corner. Of course we had a very hard rain this week, so the carpet is wet all the way down the side of the bed. The slide was in.
A number of people have had issues with the "L" angles at the bottom of the slide. They, by design, are a lip on which water can travel into the camper if the slide is slightly tilted upward and they are a "channel" in which water can travel if the caulking is missing or dried.

The factory uses a "clay type" of caulk that dries and cracks when it ages. Sometimes it takes 5 years to age, sometimes, if it is baked by the sun, it can age in one camping season.

I'd suggest you look very carefully along the bottom corners of your slide. You may find that there are voids in the caulking at the moldings along the bottom. These moldings lead directly past the slide wipers and seals and into the corners of the RV (under the slide and on the carpet).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Richard6959

I had a similar problem. Water on the floor in front of the slide but no indication of water on the walls or ceiling. On the outside of the slide where the cables (if you have them) run into the wall of your coach, there should be a piece if rubber that the cable slides through as it goes in and out. Behind that is a larger hole the in the frame. This piece of rubber keeps pulling away exposing the larger hole and blowing rain would enter, drip down and out onto the floor. I had to reattached all the rubber pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916_151323.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	7057  
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Richard6959

Sorry, the picture is turned sideways.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
WELLSweR

Slide leak

We are having same problem with 2012 3150 Montana.. anyone figured it out yet? No water on wall or ceiling just at head of bed floor.
WELLSweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
moniteaufarm

we had the same thing happen with our new-to-us 2012 318sab last night. Slide was out - hard blowing rain. During a lull in the rain DH went up top and cleaned off the slide, and we brought it in, carpet was nearly dry tonight - although I should say, last night it was just damp- not wet. We are headed out for the weekend tomorrow, hopefully the rain will be over by the time we get to the CG. When we get home we will keep the slide in until we figure out where the leak is. Any chance it is the window and just doesn't show evidence of it on the inside wall?
From what I've been reading on this forum, leaks seem to be pretty frequent - not something I was looking forward to.
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
moniteaufarm

so, upon inspecting the slide, we found the rubber wiper piece /flange was pulled inside the slide on the side where the leak was. Here are pix of each side one showing the rubber pulled in on the corner. DH pulled it back out. My question is: do you think that is what caused the leak, and does the metal in that area need more caulk? Looks like it is missing caulk at the end of the piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150404_164946.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	8275   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150404_165057.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	8276  
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote