Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Tikitim

Sagging front covering

Has anyone taken down the front covering of a 5th wheel? This is the outside cover under the bedroom that wraps around hitch and goes down around front storage compartment. I think have a big problem, the covering is sagging down at least 2". On our last trip when I opened front compartment I noticed that door was hitting the latch, when I pushed up on covering the door was OK to latch, when I let it go everything sagged again. I removed six of the screws that hold it up and discovered that they were all broke off inside, some new breaks, some old. I than replaced these 1" screws with 2" screws and now it seems that it is pulling down on whatever support is inside there. I'm looking at doing this myself and would like to know if anyone has opened up this portion of their rig so I have a little insight as to what to expect.

NOTE: This is not the corplass underbelly that I'm concerned about.

Thanks to all
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If your Cougar is similar to mine you may be able to peek inside to see what the problem is using a flashlight and a mirror from inside the pin-box. If some of the screws were broken when installed at the factory the rest may not be strong enough to support the weight and flexing of that sheet. JM2¢, Hank .............. taking a cellphone photo inside the pinbox may help too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Some time ago, a member did remove the front cap of his 5th wheel and carried out quite an extensive repair. I can't recall who it was nor exactly when he did the job. I've done a brief search but came up empty-handed.

He did submit a very detailed description of what he did along with step-by-step photos.

Perhaps someone on here who has a better memory than me will chime in and steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
KanTC

Tim,

This may/may not be the project Festus was thinking of...??... but it may still be helpful for comparison/repairs.

Part 1
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10892

Part 2
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16912

PS, Festus, I definitely don't claim to have a "better memory"... I only remembered this project because it was a LAREDO & I'll admit it took me awhile to find it though

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Terri-
It was Part 2 that I was trying to remember; and, "yes" you do have a better memory than me. Darn!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #6
jsmith948

Not sure, but, I think the OP is referring to the sheet aluminum that covers the underside of the 'chin' and the lower front of his 5er?.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Tikitim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Not sure, but, I think the OP is referring to the sheet aluminum that covers the underside of the 'chin' and the lower front of his 5er?.
You are correct, and the sheet is gray plastic. Oh! and thanks Terry, now you got me thinking about removing front cap to have it painted because of fading problem
Thanks again Guys
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
concours

The timing of this thread was good as we have the same problem with the screws braking around the pin box I think that I will pick up some aluminum molding to better support the panel and some better quality hardware, job for when we get home this weekend
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Ditto with my trailer. The majority of the screws that hold that sheet up around the pin box have all broken off. I hope one of you comes back to tell us how you repaired it. I think the problem is that the screws are way too small and they are screwed through the plastic (or whatever material that is) and into the steel frame which is pretty stout stuff. I was thinking I need heavier screws and then re-drill the holes through the plastic and into the frame but it's all done blind as there is really no way to look in there. I certainly have tried.

These pictures are really crappy and hard to make out but the first is a blurry shot of the wimpy screws they use. You can see the tip has broken off. It was obviously barely into the steel of the frame and over very little time the movement of the trailer just snapped it, as well as at least 8 others, right off. The second shows the area around the pin box drooping. The third, if you look real closely, shows a screw still going though the plastic but no longer in the steel. Like the others the tip has snapped off and remains in the steel and the plastic is drooping down about 4 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140718_085153_305.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	6572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140718_085500_126.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	6573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140718_085437_443.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	6574  
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitim View Post
Has anyone taken down the front covering of a 5th wheel? This is the outside cover under the bedroom that wraps around hitch and goes down around front storage compartment. I think have a big problem, the covering is sagging down at least 2". On our last trip when I opened front compartment I noticed that door was hitting the latch, when I pushed up on covering the door was OK to latch, when I let it go everything sagged again. I removed six of the screws that hold it up and discovered that they were all broke off inside, some new breaks, some old. I than replaced these 1" screws with 2" screws and now it seems that it is pulling down on whatever support is inside there. I'm looking at doing this myself and would like to know if anyone has opened up this portion of their rig so I have a little insight as to what to expect.

NOTE: This is not the corplass underbelly that I'm concerned about.

Thanks to all
Thank you for posting this!

Made me look at mine and yes same problem 6 broken screws around the pin box. Fixed mine today took about an hour. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested?
Bill
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
Ditto with my trailer. The majority of the screws that hold that sheet up around the pin box have all broken off. I hope one of you comes back to tell us how you repaired it. I think the problem is that the screws are way too small and they are screwed through the plastic (or whatever material that is) and into the steel frame which is pretty stout stuff. I was thinking I need heavier screws and then re-drill the holes through the plastic and into the frame but it's all done blind as there is really no way to look in there. I certainly have tried.

These pictures are really crappy and hard to make out but the first is a blurry shot of the wimpy screws they use. You can see the tip has broken off. It was obviously barely into the steel of the frame and over very little time the movement of the trailer just snapped it, as well as at least 8 others, right off. The second shows the area around the pin box drooping. The third, if you look real closely, shows a screw still going though the plastic but no longer in the steel. Like the others the tip has snapped off and remains in the steel and the plastic is drooping down about 4 inches.

Exact same problem here, my dealer fixed it for me with no questions asked.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg71361 View Post

Made me look at mine and yes same problem 6 broken screws around the pin box. Fixed mine today took about an hour. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested?
Bill
Sure. Did you just drill out the holes again and place larger screws or what?
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #13
Sulphur1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg71361 View Post

Bill
Will really appreciate some pics Bill as also have a 299RK.
Did you find the plastic pushing down much when you removed each screw?
I wonder if it is worthwhile to add a powder coated flat aluminium border (say 2"x 3/16") around the pin box to assist with keeping what appears to be a substantial weight of plastic in place.
Would it be worth having an inspection opening to keep an eye on the framework, etc?
Cheers
Jon

Sorry, noticed Concours already considering using aluminium moulding - please let us know how you go if you do it.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #14
bg71361

Quote:
Sure. Did you just drill out the holes again and place larger screws or what?
I ended up not taking to the dealer for several reasons one being distance, two I am a few weeks out of warranty and lastly I know the dealers fix would probably have been drill out the six tiny screws and put six more in and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
Will really appreciate some pics Bill as also have a 299RK.
Did you find the plastic pushing down much when you removed each screw?
I wonder if it is worthwhile to add a powder coated flat aluminium border (say 2"x 3/16") around the pin box to assist with keeping what appears to be a substantial weight of plastic in place.
Would it be worth having an inspection opening to keep an eye on the framework, etc?
Cheers
Jon

Sorry, noticed Concours already considering using aluminium moulding - please let us know how you go if you do it.
I went the aluminum reinforcement route, around the pin box under the coroplast was a 1" piece of foam that needed to be compressed by the screws to seal the area. The screws on the left and right side of the pin box were right at the edge of the coroplast so I thought that if I just re-drilled and put larger screws they would pull out in time. I will post some pictures soon!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
bg71361

[/URL][/IMG]

Picture of the 6 broken screws, sorry no before picture of the sagging.

[/URL][/IMG]

I used a couple of pieces of wood and a jack to hold the coroplast up tight.

[/URL][/IMG]

First piece being fitted.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
bg71361

[/URL][/IMG]

1/4" x 1" aluminum

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Finished product.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #17
concours

we just returned from a trip but have noticed that I now have 3 of the six screws broken but have to decide what to do with the left side as there is wiring above it. I must say that this trailer is becoming a pain in the rear Keystone should hang their heads in shame. To make it worse I returned home to find out that Keystone will not assist with the front cap fading issue ( after all the trailer is now 18 months old) Just to update I fixed mine today the wiring was not a concern but I did add some plastic conduit to the wiring that runs from the junction box into the trailer as it had no protection as for the broken screws I picked up a piece of 1/8 by 1 inch aluminum and 10 #12 by 1 and a half inch self starting bolts pre drilled the aluminum and fastened to the frame with no problems at all
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Poppy's 5th Wheel

BG71361, how many drill bits did you break drilling into the steel? Nice job. I just need to get of my butt and do mine. I think the aluminum strips are a good idea but I may just use oversized aluminum washers. I have more screws broken off other than just around the pin box on my trailer. Most of the screws holding the entire underside are broken!

Thanks for the pictures
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #19
bg71361

Quote:
BG71361, how many drill bits did you break drilling into the steel? Nice job. I just need to get of my butt and do mine. I think the aluminum strips are a good idea but I may just use oversized aluminum washers. I have more screws broken off other than just around the pin box on my trailer. Most of the screws holding the entire underside are broken!

Thanks for the pictures
I did not break any! I used the self starting bolts shown in the picture the steel was not that thick!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
Tikitim

Thanks everyone, I see that this is the start of something that probly won't go away just yet. I have same problem as all of you describe plus some. The center support where the latch to hold up front compartment door up must have let go up inside. I replaced the three 1" screws with 1 3/4" screw
to no avail. Same thing only it seems to be pulling down on whatever is up there. I think it is some kind of crappy piece of wood (2 X 2) from the sawdust that drops out of the screw holes when I tried to change screws. I also think that 2X2 is split at the end or something. This is why I'm thinking I have to drop chin panel down and mod whatever is up there.