Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
cabinfever

Towing with snow on the roof

Just went to the dealer, 3 miles away, and brought our TT home. It was there for a few minor warranty issues. It has about 1 foot of snow on the roof. I am guessing that added about 1500lbs of weight, putting the GVW of the TT well over I figured for the 3 mile trip home all would be fine and it was. I just didn't go over 35 MPH. I didn't want an avalanche behind me and cause a crash. They had it for 6 weeks for about 3 hours of work. Hated not having it home.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
crash

Some states it illegal to tow anything with snow on the roof,Just saying
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
mguay

If I thought it was close or over the GVW then I would have cleaned it off. The suspension on a towable usually has a hard time at GVW nevermind over it. The next big concern is that if there was still snow on it...then there was probably still salt on the road! If that was the case, I would be washing the under carriage to get the salt off. The paint that is put on looks good when it leaves the factory but doesn't last long in the salt.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
cabinfever

Crash...I thought about the legalities of moving with snow. Since it was 3 miles mostly on back roads I decided it would be fine, especially since I would be going no faster than 35. I didn't loose a flake off the roof or pass one of the states finest!.......Mguay......Had been 24 hours since our last fresh snow and the road was dry enough not to be a concern about salt. That is why I picked it up the day I did, best possible road conditions. If I had waited I may not of had any better conditions until spring. As for cleaning the snow off the roof. I violated my own rule about moving a trailer with snow on the roof. I have a work trailer that is 8 years old. It has never had anything done to the roof and does not leak. I have never moved it with snow on it because I think the hardest thing on an enclosed trailer roof is moving with snow on it. Since the construction of the TT roof is much more substantial than an enclosed trailer my judgement was to leave the snow there and go slowly home on back roads. I was concerned about doing damage trying to clean a roof I could not see very well under the snow, not to mention me falling off. I definitely would not make it a habit to move any trailer with snow on it.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Bluewater

We have towed our 5er several times with snow on the roof without a problem. i keep an eye in the mirror and have never seen a problem with the wind blowing it off like all the semi truck do.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Just went to the dealer, 3 miles away, and brought our TT home. It was there for a few minor warranty issues. It has about 1 foot of snow on the roof. I am guessing that added about 1500lbs of weight, putting the GVW of the TT well over I figured for the 3 mile trip home all would be fine and it was. I just didn't go over 35 MPH. I didn't want an avalanche behind me and cause a crash. They had it for 6 weeks for about 3 hours of work. Hated not having it home.
I agree with you. I don't think that snow would bother a thing on that short of trip home. Better to get it home and enjoy it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote