Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
michol02

Pump with 1" clear hose going to 3/4" PVC. I bought clear so I can see when black water has cleared, then I pump for about 30 more seconds to clear the PVC/ sewer lines.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	4423

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
theeyres

The macerator with a large hose would certainly be the easier answer. But if you don't want to deal with that, four inch plastic drain pipe running smoothly downhill will work just fine.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
michol02

Yes, if you can run drain/sewer pipe, it would be a better solution in the long run. The reason I have this system is because of the incline from the camper pad to the sewer tie-in. I buried about 60 percent of it, and the rest is up against the cement slab of the shop and I didn't feel the need to bury it(and I was wore out from digging the trench under the camper pad )

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hi, I want to hook up to a septic system that's 100 feet away and was wondering if it's possible. Also there's a lift pump 20 feet away that shoots off everything to the field and I was wondering if I could just hook in to that?
I was told that I can't send solids through it.
Any ideas or ways that I can do this?
Yes, back to the original post -

There are two types of septic systems - aerobic and anaerobic. The latter, anaerobic, is the type that utilizes "waste digestion" in an oxygen-poor environment. It has no moving parts and works primarily on gravity. Sewage flows in one side, is "digested", and treated effluent flows out the other to a leach field. Every so often, the vacuum truck shows up and clears the solids from the bottom of the tank. However, in "today's world", the aerobic system has gained favor. In the aerobic system, air is constantly injected into the septic tank to promote an oxygen-rich bacterial environment to "digest" the sewage. As the effluent gathers in the "end chamber", a pump will start to aerially spray the effluent onto the treatment ground. And, yes, this system also gets visited by the vacuum truck and pumped out regularly also. Warning! Turn the aerobic system off before mowing the yard! And don't forget to turn it back on when finished! Just ask my son-in-law!

When I originally read this post, my first assumption was that the OP was describing an aerobic septic system, which I still believe is the correct assumption. Piping the black tank directly to the "lift pump" to spray on the field results in skipping the sewage treatment septic step - and would cause great harm to the aerobic septic system (and cause pollution).

I am pleased to see others joining with my macerator pump solution. It's what I have to use at the son-in-law's house!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Steve S

Thanks for all the info guys, I've learned a lot and will put it to good use if I decide to go this way.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
mikell

I use the flowjet pump at the cabin for the motorhome and for other people to use. Always kept a white and green hose for sewer and water but the white one kept disappearing so I just use 2 green ones sewer 1 and 2. Flowjet now stays in the motorhome with a white hose
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
abneynormal

100 feet vs how much fall??

heres the first test how much higher is the ground under your rv than the inlet in the septic tank? if its not a few feet then you have a problem. as for pumping it out into the field??
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
heres the first test how much higher is the ground under your rv than the inlet in the septic tank? if its not a few feet then you have a problem. as for pumping it out into the field??
I don't understand what you're saying by how much higher the ground is?
The ground is level and the trailer sits on it.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
abneynormal

??

you indicated you were running to a septic tank. you have to have so many inches of fall from the rv to the inlet in the septic tank. also note pvc pipe needs to be covered or else it will dry rot from exposure from the sun.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
Steve S

My buddy was asking me this morning why I can't just put a tank in the ground and run the black to the septic field and the grey to the lift pump.
Is this an option?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
My buddy was asking me this morning why I can't just put a tank in the ground and run the black to the septic field and the grey to the lift pump.
Is this an option?
Check with your local sanitation department. Chances are that would pollute the ground water table and not be legal. Before you start digging, find out what the codes are from your local authorities. There are some pretty hefty fines for doing it first and then seeking "permission" Don't get caught with a "saturday morning engineer" giving you advice !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
Festus2
Site Team

Steve-
I would think that you would have to check with your local health/building inspector and codes regarding what you can and cannot do when hooking up to septic fields and/or lift pumps. Each jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations and they all vary from one place to the next.

Before digging a hole and placing a tank in the ground, I'd recommend checking with your municipal or city public works department or contact the building inspector's office to find out if you need permits and other regulations that you might have to follow. There are fairly strict regulations when it comes to septic tanks, septic fields, sewer hookups all of which are there to protect public health and the environment.

Do you own the land that your RV is sitting on and the adjacent field where the septic system is located or do you also have to get permission from the owner to do what you are asking about?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Steve S

Yes I own the property, I'm just getting a few ideas together before I look in to permits as they need to see a plan.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

SteveS,

Rather than try to "Invent a new system" why not just contact the health department, tell them what you have and what you want to do and see what they suggest and what is legal. There's not much that is more frustrating than spending time "conceiving a project" and then being told, "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT"

There are some very strict regulations in both Canada and the US with regards to adding additional septic tanks to an existing field line, adding effluent from bulk tanks into an existing septic system and modifying lift stations/pumping units. If you try to "sneak the build" you will always be looking over your shoulder when you use it or when someone decides they want to complain. Better to just do it within the regulations and be done with it, but to do that, you need to know what the regulations really say.

I'm sure you are not the first to ever want to tie in an RV dump to an existing septic system. The experts have already worked with your ideas in the past and know what works and what won't work. Find out from the experts what they suggest and then go to work conceiving your project. After all, you've talked to the "armchair experts" to get their ideas, why not talk to the "real experts" and get some ideas.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Steve S

See the thing is around here is you just don't go to city hall and say hey I need a permit for this. One must have a proper drawn out plan or they won't look at it.
I'm just asking if anyone else has done it and how they did it.
If I have plans it's going to save time and money and cut out a lot of paper work.
I have two months to get this done so there's no rush. The idea of one of those large tanks in the ground sounds like a great idea but so far I haven't been able to find info on it.
There's two septic tanks and separate fields on the property and it seems to make sense to hook in to one.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Following up on what JRTJH suggests in his post, I would also recommend that you go down to City Hall, get a copy of whatever rules and regulations you will have to follow, study them, and THEN draft up a up a couple of plans and see if what you have drawn up will fit the regulations.

Why not first find out what the rules and regulations are pertaining to tanks then do your research to find the type/size of tank that will comply with the regs?

You need to be aware of what the rules are before you start drawing up plans. I realize that they need a proper plan before they will give you permission to go ahead.

In addition, some of the suggestions you might get on here may work in Texas or in Manitoba for example, but they won't work where you live.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
outwest

Where I live you'd just dump directly into the septic tank or run a dump line that goes to the main inlet on the septic. But I live out in an area where there's no real oversight other than the very basic - land has to be perk tested before you can run the field lines, etc.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
Steve S

I called a septic guy today and he's coming next week to give me an idea and a cost of doing this
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
hankaye

Steve S, Howdy;

Be sure your sitting down when he quotes you a price.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #40
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Steve S, Howdy;

Be sure your sitting down when he quotes you a price.

hankaye
I need a septic field first before I an sit down! I'll sit down after the $40,000 quote!