Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Charli

Prospective Snowbirder upgrading 5er

I am retired and my DW retires in June/14. At that time we plan on taking longer trips (seeing the east coast is definitely on our bucket list) including some extended winter trips to Az and Tx. A lifetime of -35 winters is quite enough, thank-you very much. We currently have a Cougar XLite 26SAB and our TV is a 2008 Dodge 2500, CTD, 4x4. While the Cougar has served us well I'm thinking we will need something bigger and more durable. I'm hoping to stay with the same TV however my limited payload may well require a 1T if we go to a Full Profile.
We like the layout of the Cougar 333MKS but the options are limited (no dual pane windows, electric rear jacks, etc.) unless we move up to a "Premium" brand, which would probably require a truck upgrade. We are also looking at the Sundance 3270RES, Wildcat 333MK among others. One of our priorities was the bigger residential shower and lots of new floorplans have this feature so the list keeps growing.
My question is, what features, quality of construction, insulation, etc are must haves for our travel plans and do I need to be looking at the Full Profile lines rather than the Mid-Profile. Examples of your choices, reasons and what you would do differently would be helpful. I only want to do this once so if I need to spend more, well you can't take it with you, right! If you could also mention your TV and any mods.
Armed with my continuing research and your tips I hope to make a trip to some of the larger wholesale dealers in the spring to make my selection.
thanks
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Charli -

Yes, you've spent enough time in Winterpeg! If you decide to keep your present TV, that narrows your choice of units and if you are going to be living in it full time or most of the time, that may not be the best move. If it were me, I'd first start thinking about a truck upgrade to a 1T and then go from there. Having a bigger TV will open a few more doors for you when looking around for a new unit.

If you're thinking that, as you say, "you can't take it with you", then now might be right time to start your search for a 1T TV.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Charli

Festus2
Yes I hear you. When I found my 2500 Diesel with 42000km on it and traded up from 1/2T a few years ago I thought I was set for life. I weighed my unit this summer and I'm over my GVWR by 400#s and that's with a 1/2T towable 5er. Wish I had done more reading on forums like this and I would have held out for a 1T. Since I retired 4 yrs ago I have been through 2 trucks and 2 trailers. Life's lessons can be expensive, especially in the RV world. If I upgrade my 5er I probably also have to upgrade my drivers license. Never seems to stop.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Charli

A lot has happened since my last post so here is a quick update. As you can tell by my signature I upgraded the truck to a 1T. Based on the towing/payload specs we decided on a Ford with the new 6.7L PSD and a Lariet trim level with all the bells and whistles. We started looking for a 2011/12 model to keep somewhat within the budget and while there weren't a lot to chose from we found one with the King Ranch trim, 60,000km and a bonus of the Ford ESP for another 4 years. That was the deal clincher for me.
The 1T gave us more trailer options and after looking at lots of units online we took a trip to the Minneapolis RV show (about 500 miles from home) to look at some of our preferred units in person. It came down to the Columbus and the Mountaineer and while the Mountaineer was a bit more money the Montana line has been around forever and we have a RV Dealer in the "Peg" so I could buy local and servicing would be more convenient.
We ended up doing a factory order which is great cause you can add all the options you need. It's also not so great cause you can order all the options that "you think you need". My wife hog tied me just before I was going to add the level-up option. It sure would be sweet but need to have some cash left to fill the truck with diesel. Maybe I'll add it later when she's not looking.
We ended up with a Reece hitch which fits the Ford factory pucks and put on an Airborne Sidewinder Pinbox and I'm looking forward to see if it lives up to its advertising.
Got my Drivers License upgraded which involved a Medical (required every 3 yrs), written test, pre-trip inspection followed by a road test. Also sold our 2012 Cougar X-Lite 26SAB privately. Boy is this new unit BIG when compared to our Cougar. Guess I'll get used to it.
Picked up the trailer last week and now have to wait for 3 weeks for our first shakedown trip. We have another local trip planned for late Aug and then it's off to Arizona in Nov for 5 months. We've already reserved our sites. Hate to wish the summer away but we are both stoked for our first snowbird trip. It has been a busy winter. Now it's time for some R&R.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Charli -
Congratulations are certainly in order - you have your near-new truck and a brand spanking new Mountaineer. You're definitely set for almost anything - anywhere - except perhaps camping in "the Peg" in the fall, winter and spring.

Enjoy and travel safely.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
buckeyebobhockingcamper

i have met lots of people from the peg as you call it,and i really dont know how they can live in those winters!!!!!!we spent our first winter away from ohio in florida last year and am looking forward to this winter now!!!!i pull a 37 foot montana and it aint bad just watch the swing on the rear when turning!!!
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebobhockingcamper View Post
i have met lots of people from the peg as you call it,and i really dont know how they can live in those winters!!!!!!we spent our first winter away from ohio in florida last year and am looking forward to this winter now!!!!i pull a 37 foot montana and it aint bad just watch the swing on the rear when turning!!!
I was going to make the same point, people forget how much swing you get at the rear of these things. I make the DW spot for me in tight situations. At first she didn't understand why, then she saw the back end swing around barely missing a sign post. Now she is ready to jump out almost before I tell her to.

Congrats on your new set up, I'm sure you'll love it. We bought our new truck and Alpine in preparation for our retirement ( only a couple months to go). Now if I could just get the kids to move out

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
KanTC

Congratulations Bruce, Lori & Charli on your "soon-to-be" snowbird status... sounds like you've got everything in order - just don't forget your big-brimmed hats & the sunscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
.......Now if I could just get the kids to move out
<LOL> Brent!! Yeah, and when our kids moved out, they moved out-of-state, "in opposite directions" <LOL> sooo, now we spend our time traveling back/forth to TX & AZ.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post

<LOL> Brent!! Yeah, and when our kids moved out, they moved out-of-state, "in opposite directions" <LOL> sooo, now we spend our time traveling back/forth to TX & AZ.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
I can deal with that. Sounds like we will be eating up some of the same roadway very soon as we are moving back to NM when we retire in a few months. Just in time to miss the midwest winter

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote