Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
cat tails

Red face 32SAB Cougar TT - Ducting System

Any one having issues with the new 2013 ducting system Polar Package. Is there a work around. Temperature outside was in the 40's. turned on heat,but the living space did not warm above 50/51 using gas. We had our camper evaluated at dealer,but everything is to manufactures specifications. Seems to me there should be fix for this ducting failure by Keystone. Anyone else having this issue. Is there a fix other than using electric heaters.
cat tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
BulletOwner1

I've never liked the flexible ducting. That being said I have a few questions to maybe help narrow down your issue.

Has the system run correctly before or is this the first time used?

Are you getting reasonable airflow out of your ducts?

Assuming you are getting ok flow from the ducts is the air warm?

What kind of checks did the dealer run or were you present?

Does the thermostat function okay?

Is the furnace running all the time in an effort to heat?

Are you plugged in to shore power or are the batteries charged?

Sorry for all the Q's but the devil is in the details. Seems odd that the dealer would say the unit is functioning correctly but your not getting warm. What is "correct" about that??????? With or without the polar package you should be able to heat your trailer with outside temp at 40.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Poor airflow to the upper bedroom area in 5th wheels is not uncommon and members have tried to improve the flow by:
1) Checking as much ductwork as possible for kinks, acute bends, etc., and straighten. Since you have a TT, there may not be as many bends in the ductwork but it is possible that there may be an obstruction somewhere in the line.
2) Applying tape to any joints.
3) Removing some of the foil ductwork and replacing it with sheet metal.
4) Removing vents and replacing with adjustable ones to help redirect air flow.
5) Check furnace plenum to see if any of the extra outlets are open. Block off those that are not needed.

The questions raised by BulletOwner1 are worth finding answers to.

Good luck in your efforts to resolve the lack of heat.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat tails View Post
Any one having issues with the new 2013 ducting system Polar Package. Is there a work around. Temperature outside was in the 40's. turned on heat,but the living space did not warm above 50/51 using gas. We had our camper evaluated at dealer,but everything is to manufactures specifications. Seems to me there should be fix for this ducting failure by Keystone. Anyone else having this issue. Is there a fix other than using electric heaters.
Something is definitely not right. I've had my Cougar Fifth out in temps down to 25 and the LP furnace could still heat the inside to 70. You must have a duct off or crushed or something.

When I first got mine I found a crushed duct area right near the furnace output caused by an overdrive screw. Open the vents and with a flashlight and small mirror have a look inside the ducts.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
therink

[QUOTE=rayething is definitely. nitely not right. I've had my Cougar Fifth out in temps down to 25 and the LP furnace could still heat the inside to 70. You must have a duct off or crushed or something.

When I first got mine I found a crushed duct area right near the furnace output caused by an overdrive screw. Open the vents and with a flashlight and small mirror have a look inside the ducts.

I Ray[/QUOTE]

X2 mirror and flashlight. You should be able to see all the way down the main floor duct run with no obstructions. Open up theaccess panel to the furnace and look it over real good and check for air leaks at the ducting there. Remove the panel in the front basement storage and visually inspect the flexible ducting to the 2nd level. Retape as needed. Other then that, maybe bad fan or burner.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
SteveC7010

HVAC tape is the best thing to use to fix leaky joints in the forced air system. It's available at any home improvement store or hardware store. I taped up a bunch of loose fittings on the distribution box of the furnace and noticed a marked improvement of air flow throughout the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
arcticcatred

There is something definatley wrong! I have a 21012 cougar 24rls heated the thing all winter with propane furnace, temps got down to -5 it was up in Illinois 2 ft of snow then more. Kept the trailer comfortable did have it scurted with Styrofoam. Went through a 100lb bottle a month though.

2014 Redwood 38rl black & silver
Cougar Xlite 24 RLS "SOLD"
2014 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 3.42 ext cab
arcticcatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
bigbadbob17

I have similar low airflow in my 2012 Springdale 298BHSSR. I have a main run down the center of the floor with 4 vents, the furnace is near the center of the trailer on the passenger side under the fridge. Does anybody know what is used to connect the furnace to the main square duct? I suspect this is where my problem will be. I took the furnace cover off but cannot see much under there...
bigbadbob17 is offline   Reply With Quote