Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
riceman

How do you do full hook-up in camp ground?

Usually, when we take the camper out, we dry camp. Some years ago, when we spent some time in a camp ground we completely hooked up the camper (used moms camper) including letting black tank drain straight into sewage. we noticed other campers doing the same thing.
This week we are taking the camper and setting it up in a campground near the medical center in Houston for DH parents to use. Initially our plans where to hook it up and let everything drain straight out, so they would not have to worry about emptying anything while there. I was reading up on some pointers in the manual and it says NOT to hook up the black tank, to drain when its full.

So, my question to you is- How do you hook up in the campgrounds?-- Do you let everything drain as you use it....or do you drain only when needed?

Last question, does the water heater automatically go to electric when plugged in or is there a switch we use to switch it over to electric?

Thanks everyone!!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Leave gray (ONLY) open all the time.... Open the black (ONLY) when the black tank is full.

It's good to have gray water available to flush the hose after the black dump.... So depending on how long you stay, you may decide how long to leave the gray valve open/closed.

For example, if I'm staying for just the weekend, I leave both closed. This gives me time to collect enough gray water to dump AFTER the black dump - and subsequently flush the hose some.

If I'm staying for a week straight... Black closed... I'll leave the gray open for the first 4-5 days... And then close the gray for days 6-7 (to collect some gray)... And then dump black on the 7 th day - with the 2 days collected worth of gray immediately following.

Hope that makes sense.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
riceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Leave gray (ONLY) open all the time.... Open the black (ONLY) when the black tank is full.

It's good to have gray water available to flush the hose after the black dump.... So depending on how long you stay, you may decide how long to leave the gray valve open/closed.

For example, if I'm staying for just the weekend, I leave both closed. This gives me time to collect enough gray water to dump AFTER the black dump - and subsequently flush the hose some.

If I'm staying for a week straight... Black closed... I'll leave the gray open for the first 4-5 days... And then close the gray for days 6-7 (to collect some gray)... And then dump black on the 7 th day - with the 2 days collected worth of gray immediately following

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks SAD,
Makes complete sense. Thats exactly the same reasons that the manual gives. My in-laws won't be able to deal with the dumping and we are 3 hours away. I was trying to make it easy for everyone.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
SlowPoke

I agree with SAD and the manual...and do the same... Of course you leave the hose connected the whole time. Just pull the handle to the black tank when necessary, then after it's drained, just push the handle back in...(I assume you knew that, just making an obvious addition for anyone coming across this post and didn't know :P )

Quote:
My in-laws won't be able to deal with the dumping
Are they unable to physically pull and push the Black handle?

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
riceman

Thanks Slowpoke-
My FIL will be having surgery and I guess I should have said I didn't want my MIL to have to deal with the dumping. But the more I think about it, yes she could pull the handle, but I don't think it should fill up-it will only be her staying in the camper for awhile till he is released from the hospital.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
hankaye

riceman, Howdy;

You may want to leave an instruction page for your MIL.
and let her know to fill the bowel with water before 'flushing'
and water is her friend for the Black tank. It will be easier for
you as well when it's time to dump.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
mikell

Get or make an adapter to hard plumb the lines to the trailer and leave everything open and use lots of water when you flush. people say different but I live it every day and have had no issues along with 18 other people. Just use lots of water to flush.

4 years and no issues

When you move the unit flush it out then fill it up for the trip home then dump before storing. Works every time.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Grss

If it is just your MIL using the TT, it will take her quite some time to fill the black water tank. I would open the grey water valve, and keep some deodorizer in the black water tank. Just have them keep an eye on the water levels. If the MIL has to dump the black water tank more than once a week I'd be surprised.
Good Luck!
Grss is offline   Reply With Quote