Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Semiretired

Looking at Cougars or similar

Just wanted to introduce myself - new on board the forum. Currently looking at 26' - 28' Cougars or something similar. Currently in the research mode. We are looking at the shorter versions since we feel they have more than enough space for our needs. Currently own a 2005 F250 Crew Cab (Diesel) so should have no problems pulling it down the road...

Anyone with advice on what to or what not to avoid in our purchase it will be welcome.
Semiretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
davidjsimons

Welcome, I own a Cougar 28RBS and love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Semiretired

I was looking at the 28RBS online today - looks longer than what we are looking for. If the 28 stood for 28' then it would be perfect, but most sites quoted it to be over 30'... Is that correct?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

to the Keystone Forum. Cougar makes a quality RV as do a number of other Keystone brands.

Cougar XLite has 6 models under 30', Cougar High Country starts at about 35'. There are a number of equally well built and equipped Keystone RV's that may meet your floorplan needs and stay under your maximum length. If the XLite models don't work for you, don't give up, keep looking. The Keystone website has all the floorplans and specs available online, look around and see if any look interesting. If you have any questions, I'm sure one of the members will most likely have an answer for you.

Again, welcome, we're glad you decided to join and we look forward to hearing more from you as your search for the right RV continues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired View Post
I was looking at the 28RBS online today - looks longer than what we are looking for. If the 28 stood for 28' then it would be perfect, but most sites quoted it to be over 30'... Is that correct?
It is 32' 4" if you count the tongue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Semiretired

Naw, when I say 28' - I mean only the fifth wheel without the tongue. I have seen as many as 3 different lengths on line for the same FW's. Makes it confusing... I wish the measurements were standard...
Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Semiretired

Ya'll got me with moving the post... Took a bit to find it again...

Moderator's Note: Since you are a "prospective owner" and asking questions about the Cougar or something similar, your posts were moved to the Prospective Owners Questions section of the forum.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

OK now I'm confused. (and that's not hard to do) LOL

I thought you were looking for a travel trailer. You're now talking about fifth wheel boxes, so I'm guessing you're relaly wanting a fifth wheel? If so, and you're wanting to stay under 28', Check out the Cougar 25RKS or the 26SAB. Both have "boxes" under 28' with total lengths under 30'. As before, several Keystone brands have fifth wheels that meet your size requirement. The issue, I think, is finding a floorplan that you like. Once you find the general arrangement, then zero in on the available models that are similar to that floorplan and within your length limitation. They are out there, the issue is finding what you like and what works for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Semiretired

Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion - yes I am looking at the smaller fifth wheels - easier to tow for me...

Can I ask one more question? When they measure units - what do they include. I told my wife the next time we go - I am taking my own tape measure and try to figure it out
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
labs4life

Quote:
Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion - yes I am looking at the smaller fifth wheels - easier to tow for me...

Can I ask one more question? When they measure units - what do they include. I told my wife the next time we go - I am taking my own tape measure and try to figure it out
I don't think there is a standard for measuring campers. 5'er or TT. This manufacturer does one thing while the next does something else. I would assume that the same manufacturer will measure their units similarly. ie, TT's similar and 5'ers similar. Once you get a reference from a manufacturer, you will probably have a basis to compare.

Good luck in the search as that is just as much fun as after the purchase!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
MarkS

In general, the quoted length is measured from the King Pin to the bumper. So, the box length is slightly shorter. DW and I have taken a measuring tape to check the length.

The model numbers don't tell you much. Some Manufacturers relate the length to the number. I have heard that some relate the number to the square ft. size of the trailer. In general bigger number equals bigger trailer. That's about all you can tell from the model number.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
SkyPiGG

My 26BHS Cougar X-Lite is 28 feet long, but back to the original question...

We got the shorter box bunkhouse so that the kids have a place they can call "home", and we didn't go much longer/heavier for fear that our half-ton might have a problem with towing it. Now that we've had it for a few years, I think I would still be comfortable going a little longer, and I am really jones'n for a rear living room. I think that cougar is an above average line, and their shorter boxes (26 and under) are really thought out well.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

We have a "27RKS" Cougar and are very pleased with both its size and layout. By today's standards, it almost seems "small" but it certainly offers more than ample space for two people.

For us, the rear kitchen works well as it provides more counter space than nearly all other center kitchen floor plans we have seen in that size of 5th wheel. But floor plans are essentially a personal preference and what appeals and works for some doesn't do much for others.

We also take comfort knowing that this Cougar and our tow vehicle are a good match.
We are not pushing any limits with respect to payload or safety and it hauls well in the mountains - which we have an abundance of here in BC.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
TAZ23

Quote:

Yes take your own tape measure. There does not seem to be any sure fire way to know the length with out one. We have a Outback 320BH and I would assume that ment 32 feet long. but the coach is slightly over that and if I take the dimensions of the trailer with the slide out it comes to 320 square feet. The Cougars and some of the others made by Keystone only use two numbers, and Keystones web site only gives you the over all length. Good luck with your trailer hunting and keep us informed on how it goes.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Semiretired

Thanks for the replies. We are tossing back and forth on the rear kitchen models or the bunkhouse models. If I got a bunkhouse model - I would convert the BH area to a computer / game area...

We have also looked at a couple of Laredo's. The Laredo 255RB has a nice layout, but I have not been able to find one local to see in person. Do not know the comparison between a Laredo and the Cougar. They are both mid line units.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Jca3

The reason we bought the 266RL Laredo instead of the Cougar is we could get the bed slide on the short trailer. We still mountain camp so we got all the space we needed to spend a month or so in it, but it is still short enough to pull into the tight spots. Salesmen were telling us you can't have a queen bed slide on a short trailer, but we found one and love having the full bedroom and full closet with a bureau too.

One thing I should mention on the Laredo bed slide -- put caster wheels on the bed or we had the dealer do it instead of having it slide on the carpet.