Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
SharNel

Smile New Cougar 5th Wheel Owner, 2014

Is the spray covering that the dealer offers to keep the fiberglass looking good worth having done?

Also does anyone have one of those Rollback hitches where you and shorten and lengthen the hitch without getting out of the truck?

My husband and I are retired and want to do lots more traveling.
SharNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. To answer your questions, almost all of the "value add-on packages" the dealership offers are a money maker for them and an added expense that seldom (if ever) has any value to the customer. The "spray fiberglass protector" is, in all probability a "sealant coat" that won't do much to prevent oxidation of the fiberglass after the first season. You can buy comparable sealants from EBay or from many auto paint retail stores for about 20% of the price charged by the dealer.

Often they don't apply them per manufacturer directions and don't prep the RV adequately to get a good finish. That just makes the product less reliable.

Extended warranties, fabric protection packages, paint sealant and window tint are all money makers for the dealership and their value is seldom (if ever) worth the investment.

As for slide hitches. With the new Cougar "rounded" front caps, there's little need for a slide hitch. It was designed to help increase backing angles on short bed pick-ups back when the fifth wheel nose caps were square. With the new rounded caps, almost everyone who has a slide hitch reports that they almost never, or never use it in the back position. The new front caps have negated the need for almost everyone. There are, however, a few owners who really like the "insurance" offered by a slide hitch and feel more secure with the option to use it if needed. Even they report that they almost never consider the need, "but it's nice to have"

The slide hitch is an extra $300 - $700 depending on which hitch you buy, so choose wisely and talk to other people who tow fifth wheels not just the dealer/salesman

Again, welcome to the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Wayne

Congrats on the Cougar! We have a Husky sliding hitch for "just in case". We have not need it yet, & have been in a few tight places. I have also heard the coatings are a waste of money. I negotiated a much better price on an extended warranty & have not needed it. My brother had a 1900.00 ref replaced under ext warranty. I don't always purchase one on an auto but 3 of 4 that I purchased, were great investments. Warranties are a toss up but most other add-ons are a waste.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Chum T

Welcome SharNel,
We have just under a one year old Cougar 5th wheel probably from the same dealer that you got yours from. Right now it is at the dealer getting the faded front cap repainted luckily under warranty. We did have the extra protectant applied and it did not help stop the front cap from fading. I did know of the cap problem from this forum before we got the RV so that's why we got the extra protection, hoping it would prevent the problem. Not so lucky. On a positive note the sides and back of the RV still look as new as the day we picked it up. Also the front cap seems to be made from a different material and gel coated. The dealer told us that Keystone knows of the issue with the cap and has since changed the finish. Hopefully you got the newer style cap and will not have any fading issues. Other than the fading cap issue we have not had any other problems with the unit and the dealer's service dept. has been great with keeping me up to date with the repair.

I tow it with a 2011 F250 with the 6.5 bed and have a Reese 16k slider hitch which the only time I've ever used it was when I was testing it to see how it works. I also was not sure if I needed it or not at the time of buying the 5th wheel and after eight trips under my belt with the RV and some tight State Park sites, I still have not needed it. Now I think of it as "just in case" insurance vs a truck cab repair.

Enjoy your new RV
Chum T
Chum T is offline   Reply With Quote