Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
grtoutdoors

Prime Fuel Pump on initial use?

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2010 361LEV and we have never used our fueling system on the trailer (other to put gas in for the genset). Well, we have picked up a couple of toys and so we thought we would try out the fuel station.

When we turn on the pump and the timer, the pump starts up but will not pump any gas. The tank is about 1/2 full so we know we have gas.

Question, does the pump need to be primed? As a side note, I did read a bunch of other posts about wear on the gears leading to a situation where the pump would not pump gas ... but this pump has never been used.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Toy Hauler

I have a 4014LEV with the fueling station. I have never had to prime it to get it to work, but I did find that the tanks were mislabelled and the fuel guages cross wired. The tank for the Genset was labelled as the fuelling station and the interior fuel guage, wich should provide a readout for the Genset tank, was wired to the fuelling station tank.

My best suggestion is to make sure you have fuel in both tanks then see if you're able to pump.
2002 Harley CVO Road King
2003 Harley CVO Deuce
Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
grtoutdoors

Thanks Toy.

I believe i only have ONE fuel tank which services both the fuel station and the genset. Atleast I have only ever seen one place to put gas into it.

C
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
T11ravis

Same thing happened to me last fall. It took a good 15 mins. of playing with the handle, turning the pump on/off before it would prime.
Eventually it primed itself and has been perfect ever since.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
grtoutdoors

Quick update for everyone on this - I have taken the pump out of the unit after trying just about everything under the sun to get it to pump. I even tried sanding the grears which was described in another thread in the forum.

After taking the pump out, I hooked it up with another hose and a battery. What I have found is that there is ZERO suction. So I think although the unit 'works', the gears spin, I think somewhere along the line it is TOAST.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a better pump to purchase. This one is the standard one that comes with these units and is a GPI ez-8rv.

Thanks for any advice.

Curt
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtoutdoors View Post
Quick update for everyone on this - I have taken the pump out of the unit after trying just about everything under the sun to get it to pump. I even tried sanding the grears which was described in another thread in the forum.

After taking the pump out, I hooked it up with another hose and a battery. What I have found is that there is ZERO suction. So I think although the unit 'works', the gears spin, I think somewhere along the line it is TOAST.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a better pump to purchase. This one is the standard one that comes with these units and is a GPI ez-8rv.

Thanks for any advice.

Curt

I have seen them at TSC here in Fla.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...p-3-4-in-inlet

Or here http://store.gpipumps.com/ez8rv.html

Good luck.
I had to sand down my gears and only had maybe like 10gal of gas ran into it.
Ron.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
ToyTLH

Hey Toy Hauler,

I have the same problem with the gauges being wired wrong. Did you switch the wiring yourself?
ToyTLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
crash

Our Raptor has 2 tanks and we never had to prime the fueling station just fill the tank ,turn on pump and start pumping.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
grtoutdoors

Quick update on this guys.

As it turns out ... my pump would not pump get enough suction to even blow air. I tried sanding down the gears and manual priming etc. etc. and still would not work.

Purchased a new ... it instantly started to pump fuel.

So I can confirm that sanding the plastic gears will work. I atually called the pump manufacture ... they though what might have gone 'toast' was the rubber seal where drive shaft comes up and meets drives the gears (the gear housing is different then the motor housing and there is a rubber seal around the shaft).

In any case. New pump work great.

C
Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
crash

Great to hear you got it straight.Happy pumping now
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote