Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
fred1609

water pressure

Bought a watts pressure regulator for my 5er, replacing the flow regulator. Anybody know what the psi setting should be. I set it initially at40 but had weak flow. I've jumped it too 45 psi but still would like a bit more pressure. Any ideas what the max is and what the average is?
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Laredo60

Smile

I would say 50 should be where you want to be no more then that.Thats the limit that I am comfortable with in my TT. But I am sure you will get some others opinions and you can make a decision on what you are ok with
Laredo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo60 View Post
I would say 50 should be where you want to be no more then that.Thats the limit that I am comfortable with in my TT. But I am sure you will get some others opinions and you can make a decision on what you are ok with
X2 I set mine around 55 psi and never had a problem. Most of the newer trailers are tested at 85 psi and some even higher (at least according to a couple of sites I've read it on). Given the quality of the RVs nowadays, and how much faith I put in their "test", I keep mine in the 50 to 60 psi range and have never had an issue on the two trailers I started using those pressures on, an '08 FunFinder and my '11 Cougar. Prior to that I used the cheap flow restrictor type and they are in the 40 psi range and I was never happy with the water pressure I got in the rig. Bought my Watts in '08 and started increasing the pressure. I get nervous over 60 and I'm real comfortable at 55 psi and haven't sprung a leak yet.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Bob Landry

I have my Watts set at 60psi, but I've been intending to knock it down to 55, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
webslave

I don't know if I'd go down to 55 if you've been at 60 psi for some time and haven't had any issues. I've decided, this year, to go back up to 60 psi. I've been running 55 psi for the last 18 months or so with about 6 months of that actual "on the road" time and haven't had any issues at 55. My thoughts on going back to 60 psi are that it is a nice round number and the "60" is a marked increment on the dial...easy to spot if it drifts for some reason or another; not likely, that Watts is rock steady, but, who knows? 5 psi probably isn't a "make or break" point when talking about 55 vs 60 psi, I just had this "mental thing" about the 60 psi point...for some reason 55 was "comfortable" but 60 wasn't, but, I think I'm over it now. The reason I'm probably going back up, for the most part, is my Pur water filter in the kitchen likes "pressure" and does better with as much as I can give it, and 5 psi more should make it happy. Of course, finding campgrounds that can consistantly provide 60 psi is more of an issue than my limiting it down to 60 psi....

Don
Bronwyn

Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I don't know if I'd go down to 55 if you've been at 60 psi for some time and haven't had any issues. I've decided, this year, to go back up to 60 psi. I've been running 55 psi for the last 18 months or so with about 6 months of that actual "on the road" time and haven't had any issues at 55. My thoughts on going back to 60 psi are that it is a nice round number and the "60" is a marked increment on the dial...easy to spot if it drifts for some reason or another; not likely, that Watts is rock steady, but, who knows? 5 psi probably isn't a "make or break" point when talking about 55 vs 60 psi, I just had this "mental thing" about the 60 psi point...for some reason 55 was "comfortable" but 60 wasn't, but, I think I'm over it now. The reason I'm probably going back up, for the most part, is my Pur water filter in the kitchen likes "pressure" and does better with as much as I can give it, and 5 psi more should make it happy. Of course, finding campgrounds that can consistantly provide 60 psi is more of an issue than my limiting it down to 60 psi....
It is normal to set the regulator at 60-65 lbs for the newer RV's like you trailer... the older ones should be limited to 50 lbs max...
The real issue isn't pressure in most camp grounds I've visited but rather volume... they just can't deliver the flow needed to have a good shower... 1 gallon a minute is still 1 gallon a minute regardless of pressure.. Also make sure your regulator is capable of a flow rate of at least 4 - 4.5 gpm if you want a good shower...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
GaryWT

I have never had a Watts and have only used any type of regulator once. With is and the water filter, could not take a shower so have never used it again. To me, the regulator was not different than not opening the faucet all the way so that is what we do. Some places even with the water on all the way and the filter the pressure is low.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
X-Treme

Where are you guys getting your Watts regulators from? Anyone have a pic of the one they're using?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Where are you guys getting your Watts regulators from? Anyone have a pic of the one they're using?
While volume can be and is an issue at some campgrounds, a regulator is a good "safety" device for those few campgrounds that have "over the top" pressure, and there are some. We stayed at a campground once that was a "converted" site from an old farm. They were using the old irrigation well and pump to provide water to their sites...at 120 psi. They offered "free use" of regulators for those that didn't have them to get the pressure down, but, I use a "pre gauge" to check the natural unregulated pressure coming into the Watts and have found pressures from 28 psi to 120 psi...all over the place. You can't always count on pressure being fine and the problem is flow volume.

This is the regulator that I use (good flow rate, 4.5-5 gpm, and all stainless steel guts for corrosion resistance):

I also use a "pass through" with a pressure gauge on it, on the inlet side of the Watts; that's to allow me to see what the "unregulated" pressure is of the campground's water supply. I use that for a couple of reasons; curiosity as to what the campground's unregulated pressure is, and as a "check" to make sure there isn't anything wrong with my Watts. If for instance the Watts is showing it only is passing 35 psi, is it the Watts, or is that all the campground has to offer. The pass through with pressure gauge lets me know what the Watts is getting...it can't make pressure, so, if the campground is down to 35 psi, then that's all the Watts can pass to the RV.

I get all most all of my "water stuff" from here (great service and high quality merchandise):

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm

You can shop around and maybe come up with the parts to build the same thing, maybe for less, probably not, or get it direct from here and know what you're getting and if you have any questions, they are more than willing and able to help you get sorted out as to what works and what doesn't. Their website has a great deal of useful information on regulators and how the different types work along with anything you might want to know about water filtration.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Comptech

Also has anyone ever tested one of those inline water filters to see how much water pressure they might restrict? I may have to go home and run a few tests myself...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Dave & SUe

Most filters,even a full flow,will eat 10-15 psi.Some a little less.Just the nature of the beast.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
Also has anyone ever tested one of those inline water filters to see how much water pressure they might restrict? I may have to go home and run a few tests myself...
You could just put a gauge on the outlet side of the filter and re-adjust the pressure going in until you get the desired pressure coming out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote