Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
81SHOVELHEAD

Decisions/Decisions

Hello ya'll
Still haven't pull the trigger on our new RV yet .
Sold the 2003 Tundra 4.6 i force & bought the 2012 Ram 2500 HD 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
With the bigger truck we are now looking @ the 7000# 5th wheels by Cougar .
Pros/Cons travel trailer/5th wheel .
The truck is rated for 10500 TW & Payload capacity is 24950lbs.
I know i could probably go a little larger but i'm trying to keep the lenght @ max 30ft & @ 7000 to 7500 lbs delivery weight to give me a little more of comfort zone of not overloading my new truck .
I hear the 5th wheels are a little easier to tow & the bed rails in bed does not look like it will present a problem with the type of Hauling i do.
The Bullet 248RKS is what we are looking @ but if 5th wheel towing will be less stressful than TT towing i am all for it .
Thanks in Advance
Mike D
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Javi

Even though I have a TT for now (long story) the 5'er is many times the better to tow.. and less work to setup and take down..

Load the truck as you would for a trip; full fuel, family, dogs, kids, and stuff then hit a scale and see what you have left for rear axle load and general payload....

Then take the GVWR of the trailer (not the DRY weight) and multiply that number by point 25 (,25) that will be the approximate pin weight of that trailer fully loaded...

Add about 150 lbs for the hitch (if it isn't already installed) and then see if you have that much payload/rear axle load left... if so you're golden if not keep lookin'
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Comptech

Also consider the chucking motion you get when you tow a 5er.. Check out the Morryde site and you will see what I mean... something I didn't know when going from a TT to a 5er... Now I am looking at a $500 pin box to help with this...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Brantlaker

We come Mike, Last year the DW & I went from a TT to a 5W we found that there is a lot more room in the fiver and more storage. No more sway when trucks pass. I feel safer driving long distances and get there feeling less stressed. Now you have to find a 5'er that you can tow safely.By the way I have a 81 Shovel Head that I am rebuilding.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
We come Mike, Last year the DW & I went from a TT to a 5W we found that there is a lot more room in the fiver and more storage. No more sway when trucks pass. I feel safer driving long distances and get there feeling less stressed. Now you have to find a 5'er that you can tow safely.By the way I have a 81 Shovel Head that I am rebuilding.
Thanks for the info.
We are looking @ the New Cougars in the 7000 to 8000 lb range with the 1400to 1500 pin weight .
Them old Shovelheads are hard to beat .
I have the 1981 Sturgis FXB 1340 (80" Motor)
First Year with 80" motor & primary/secondary belt drive .
IF You have any questions on rebuild shoot me a PM & will try to help .
Mike D.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
billb800si

Smile

You need to keep a few things in mind here.
First off a 5'er does give you more storage space, weighs more, is taller. But you also lose the cargo area of your truck bed. A good 5th hitch set up is much more expensive than a trailer hitch.
We've pulled a 33 foot Jayco Eagle 322FKS 8,000# all over the country (including Rocky Mtns. etc..) with our 2007 Dodge Ram utilizing the "Equalizer 1400# Hitch") without any sway problems. I normally set my cruise control at 63 MPH and let others pass. I do have a Mor/ryde CE3000 suspension on it. No sway when the semi's going flying by..
The choice is yours.
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
You need to keep a few things in mind here.
First off a 5'er does give you more storage space, weighs more, is taller. But you also lose the cargo area of your truck bed. A good 5th hitch set up is much more expensive than a trailer hitch.
We've pulled a 33 foot Jayco Eagle 322FKS 8,000# all over the country (including Rocky Mtns. etc..) with our 2007 Dodge Ram utilizing the "Equalizer 1400# Hitch") without any sway problems. I normally set my cruise control at 63 MPH and let others pass. I do have a Mor/ryde CE3000 suspension on it. No sway when the semi's going flying by..
The choice is yours.
Bill B. (Michigan)
I would also add that both types of trailers have their pros and cons and neither is better or worse, just depends on your needs. Make sure you understand the all of the differences before you make a decision. A properly set up TT tows and handles just fine, is generally cheaper, not as tall, uses less payload of the truck and allows you to use the bed. The 5'vers will have more storage, greater interior height in the main section, and require less fine tuning of the hitch. Make an informed decision.