Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #21
Roller4Tan

Pappydude, the hardest part of rewiring the cable connections is figuring out which cable is which. You also need a 5 mhz to 3.4 ghz splitter to pass the satellite signal through. Pull the cover plates and make sure you get the stock splitter out. Also pull the fuse for the antenna as the supply is hot and bare. Like I said my hookup works with two separate receivers, watching separate channels using the same input spot outside the trailer.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...&pictureid=772
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
LarryL

When I tried to hook up to the satellite prep no signal.
I called a cable guy to come out to the campground to
get Directv, after almost an hour checking all the connections
and getting the dish in line he found no signal going to the living
room went to the bedroom signal was there he changed the
cables in the bedroom so signal would go straight from
satellite prep on outside of trailer to living room.
when I went back to the dealer to tell them that it cost
me $100 to get Directv hooked up because the cable
goes to the bedroom not the living room,
they said you put the receiver in the bedroom and if
the tv is in the living room you just point the remote
at the receiver in the bedroom to change the station
all I could do was laugh at them so stupid Keystone
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
2011 keystone

all I could do was laugh at them so stupid Keystone

I would say stupid dealer
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
LarryL

Well really both the dealer I did laugh at for saying what
they said that was stupid.
Putting the satellite prep going to the bedroom thats
Keystone thats a
But on the walk through the dealer said on the outside
of the trailer here is your satellite prep did not say
it went to the bedroom and that is keystone putting it
in the bedroom that is stupid.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
Roller4Tan

satellite prep

Bobert, On page two of this thread I posted a schematic of what I did to make the satellite prep port work for two receivers for Directv. True the cabling done at Keystone should have been reversed, but I got it to work. Just make sure the splitter used will work for satellite. Directv uses 2.4 Ghz for HD.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
pedalsteelpicker

this might be un orthodoxed but in the past I have taken a coax cable that is long enough to run from the outside connections to the inside connector and check continuity with an ohm meter to make sure I am on the same line and there arent any un seen breaks in the cable within the walls
Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
Puff1019

Easy way to set up satellite via cable jack.

I have a Springdale 303BHSS and here is what I did. Next to my TV there is a box with two jacks that had a wire running from one to the other. That is how you know if your RV is sat prepped. Run a cable from the top jack to your SAT IN jack on your receiver. Then run the out to TV line to the bottom jack. Congrats you are done. I personally ran an HDMI cable to my TV but you don't have to.
Puff1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
rudythegreat

318 Sat.

There is a 318SAB Social Group and you might be the 3rd or 4th 318 there. I have run Sat. in my 318 for 15 months now. E-mail me and I'll try and walk you thru it, but you must like to read first, I'll get detailed on-ya. If I don't set Sat, Mama gets pretty cranky
rudythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #29
rudythegreat

There is a 318SAB social group (FYI). Other than that, I have 2 LNB lines running from my Sat. One line goes in the basement. That line hooks to Mama's bedroom TV. The other line runs threw the window at the back. You said something about putting a port or Sat. hook-up threw the floor of your slide? I would like to do the same but have worried about drilling up threw the floor. Any precautions I should worry about. Or, what should I buy?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
bobbychuck

I also went through this recently with a Dish 211Vip receiver & Tailgater Antenna on our 2010 318SAB. Turns our that the "Satellite Prep" label is totally misleading. The connection is only usable with Cable TV systems. On the Weingard website, the antenna booster (RV7012) is designed not to pass current out of the unit, and thus cannot power the antenna. This is apparently done to protect the cable system electronics.

The best solution is a second path entering the TV bay just inside the outer wall, where it is away from mechanical interference from the slide-out, although a flat ribbon cable through a window would also work. I was then able to hook up the original cable to the antenna connection on the 211Vip to receive local stations and the Satellite feed. I still have the ability to use park cable as a backup if necessary.
2010 Cougar 318 SAB
2008 Chev 2500 Duramax/Allison
bobbychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
Pappydude

Thumbs up Satellite prep connection

I too have a 2012 318SAB and had the same issues with the cable connections. I thought there was a problem in the wiring so I hooked 'er up and drove to the dealer who assured me there were no problems with the wiring. They told me that the satellite prep connection must be connected so that it by-passes the Ant/Cable connections. The cable from your dish must be connected to the satellite prep connection outside. The attached photo shows the connections in the bedroom - for the bedroom satellite receiver only. Remove the short cable from the red x side and connect your satellite receiver to the connector near the 12v hole. Connect the satellite box to the TV and have at it. If you connect the run-through cable in the bedroom and try to watch tv in the living room, you will only be able to watch whatever the satellite box in the bedroom is set on. The bedroom receiver controls both TV's. Living room watches what the bedroom does.
To defeat that - I installed an exterior connection through the outside wall of the curbside slide out. You MUST make certain it is properly and adequately sealed to prevent leaks. I do not have a picture of that but you can by waterproof connections most anywhere. I have two satellite receiver boxes - one goes in the bedroom and one in the living room. Of the two cables coming from the satellite dish - one goes to the satellite prep connection, the other goes to the connection installed in the living room wall. Of course Keystone won't tell you this - and Direct TV, my provider, had no idea either. I got the information from my Direct TV installer. Great guy!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-09_14-00-39_966.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2253  
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #32
Roller4Tan

Well, all i can say is mine now works. Dish to outside port, jumper disconnected. Dish power hooked to open port. cable to receiver in bedroom and another receiver in the living room. If I want antenna or cable I hook the jumper back up and change the tv input to air or cable.

The cabling under the amp and 2 port plate HAS to be rewired. Also the splitter inside has to be replaced with a 2.4 Mhz for DirecTV or satellite signal pass thru. The way it comes from the factory will not work for two receivers.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
oldfireman47

I ran into the same problem. I finally quit trying and added another input jack on the outside which feeds directly to my sat receiver. I also added another jack to the outside for an external television. I have had no problems with a signal. I now have satellite, cable and antenna.
oldfireman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #34
kenn209

Well our 2010 318 I would run the cable in thru the window, So I got tired of that and looked horrible. Any hooked up to the sat prep connection, made sure the Ant was off and was able to watch Directv in the living room and in the storage connection. Haven't tired putting the receiver in the bedroom. I tried to unplug the little pigtail to see if I could let the wife watch TV off of the antenna in the bedroom, but that didn't work. She could watch tv off of the antenna but it cut out the sat.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote