Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
jerry

ice storm

We are recovering from early morning ice storm that knocked out electric, but thanks to CAMPION GENERATOR we had morning coffee, heat, tv by using dish tailgator.
Have read so much about champion gen being so loud, ours was about 5 ft from camper, with furnace on you could the noise was slight, with tv on could not hear it.

It was nice to have back up and we got to camp in Dec.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
davidjsimons

When they throw lemons at you, make lemonade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I know how you feel. After Sandy we were without power and cable for over a week. We had the neighbors over at night to watch tv in the Cougar. We get CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS over the air (ABC went back to VHF so we only get it in the daytimeand 52 other channels if you speak Spanish or Korean) and plenty of propane for heat so it was like a block party at our place every night. Phone lines never went down and since I have DSL instead of cable for internet all the neighbors were also using my Wi-Fi. Make the best of what you have, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

I love my Champion generator
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
raytronx

Always nice to have backup power. I carry 2 that can parallel so have backup for the backup.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We wound up with 19" of snow from yesterday morning until about 5 this afternoon. Lost power last night and we just went to bed about 9 and got a good night's sleep. This morning, it was "tough" not having perked coffee, but we heated water and poured it into the coffee pot and it was almost "OK" just had to stand there instead of doing other things while it did the coffee....

About 10, I went out to the pole barn, pulled the Champion generator out of the corner, put a couple of gallons of gas in it (haven't used it since July) and closed the choke. It started on the first pull, played with the choke a bit, plugged in the extension cord, and it's been running since then. It's now 1020 and we're still in the first tank. Between the satellite receiver, the TV, the refrigerator and a couple of lights, all is good. The furnace is not on the generator, but we've got 2 fireplaces, one natural gas and one woodburning, so the house is probably warmer than we keep it with the furnace.

They are saying possibly up to 10 days before power is restored, so it'll be a "old time" Christmas, one that we're looking forward to. Family will be here tomorrow, the snow is moved out of the parking areas and drive, the snowmobiles are ready to go and so are the "old folks"

Thank goodness for that Champion, it's purring along, keeping us just as happy as if we were on the grid.

Merry Christmas to all

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Georgia Rambler

JRTJH sounds like fun to me... but I live in South GA and hardly ever get snow. Its always nice being prepared for stuff like that.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Scottinvt

That's great to hear that a budget generator works great !! The Honda's and yamaha's are nice but way too expensive for non repetitive use .
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I know how you feel. After Sandy we were without power and cable for over a week. We had the neighbors over at night to watch tv in the Cougar. We get CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS over the air (ABC went back to VHF so we only get it in the daytimeand 52 other channels if you speak Spanish or Korean) and plenty of propane for heat so it was like a block party at our place every night. Phone lines never went down and since I have DSL instead of cable for internet all the neighbors were also using my Wi-Fi. Make the best of what you have, Hank
In 2007 we had an ice storm - no power for 5 days... Temps in the single digits at night and highs around 20.

At the time we had a toy hauler.... Luckily 60 gallons of unleaded was on board when we woke up at 1:00 a.m. with the house freezing... Lived out of the RV with the Onan 5500 running for 5 days straight. We've since sold the TH and bought the Avalanche.

Now....

10,000 watt - gas/propane dual fuel... Automatic standby.... Best $2800 I've spent. And it was a fun project installing/wiring it myself.

For camping, we have a Yamaha 2800i... But for around the house, I didn't like the idea of my wife having to worry about what to do. The automatic standby part is peace of mind.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote