Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Nevercrywolf

Towing a 28rls

Just purchased a 2016 28 xlite rls.
Some towing experiences would be helpful as my last trailer was a 5000lb sunset trail. I have a 2020 silverado 5.3. 9500 cap payload of 1785. I have cat scaled my truck with wife and all my regular camping stuff and scaled at 5900 which leaves me 1100 for tongue weight
I did scale the tongue with scale and it was 950, the rv was fully loaded with camping stuff from previous owner so that helped my certainty that tongue weight is true. I believe it should tow fine and I know what to expect. Also using andersen wdh.
What are your towing experiences with a 28rls and share any pictures of your trailer and tow vehicle. Thanks in advance.
Nevercrywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
Eastham

Something dont add up.if the truck has a 9500 lb gvwr and a payload of 1795.lbs .then you weigh it and only come up with 5900 lbs with these numbers wouldn't you have a 3100 lb payload?
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Nevercrywolf

Total combined can be 15000. Can pull up up to 9500. Truck alone can be 7000 max. From factory 5215 is weight so 1785 is my payload. The 28rls can get to 7800 if loaded to max payload. So even at that weight I'd be at.13700 on scales (5900+7800)
Old 03-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Eastham

Sorry I was taking the 9500 as gvwr .I didn't see the 7000lb gvwr.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
MarkEHansen

Keep in mind that the max tow values published for the truck are based on other types of trailers, not RVs. RVs add their own issues to towing (which the manufacturers don't talk about in their brochures).

You definitely want to make sure you are under the payload limit for the truck (which you are doing, so good on you for that). Another consideration is the size of the trailer. It's pretty long for a 1/2 ton truck and will likely cause you some difficulty controlling it.

For example, when you hit wind gusts, either natural or induced by other vehicles on the road - it will want to drag your truck around with it.

When considering a 1/2 ton tow vehicle, I like to make sure there is at least a 10% to 15% safety margin in all the weight limits, because these trucks just aren't designed for RV trailer towing (regardless of what the manufacturer/dealer tells you).

Also, remember that if you determined the trailer tongue weight using a scale, you're aren't accounting for the possibility of towing with non-empty waste tanks. You can think you'll never tow with them full, but things happen. You may have to leave in a hurry and dumping the tanks first may not be possible (for any number of reasons).

This is why I always estimate my tongue weight based on 13% of the trailer's GVWR.

When considering the payload capacity, don't forget the weight of the hitch - generally estimated at 125lbs.

This is a great place to ask questions. You can really learn a lot here.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Nevercrywolf

Thanks and you are correct on all issues. I'm positive I'll be able to keep things under for safety. I've been anal about moving up and really looked around. I never carry water since all of my camping is done within 300 mile radius and have no intention of towing to Florida let's say from Pa.. glad I carry my sherline scale and could get the tw when I looked at it
Being that it was packed I felt 950 or lower is where ill end up. I also use an andersen hitch which comes in at well under 100 pounds. I plan to travel safely at 60-65 max given that I anticipate being at about 7300 to 7400 fully loaded. All of my travel crew tow similar size trailer and I have sought their advice and feedback. One tows a coachman spirit 27 with ecoboost 2.7 and other tows grand design 2500rl with 5.7 hemi
Both those combos are very similar to what I will be towing soon and they are happy with how they are moving down the road. The 2.7 buddy travels about 300 lbs over since he can total 12900 and combined he's at 13300. I'm also putting new Goodyear endurance tire as soon as i get her home for peace of mind. Hopefully all will go smoothly and at least I anticipate what to expect
I also use a prodigy 2 brake controller so stopping should not be an issue. For the type of camping I do I trust I'll be ok. Will use tow mode at all times and the scale will be my friend.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:19 AM   #7
Nevercrywolf

Tows just fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210317_130254.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	32568  

Tags