Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Kalalaubeach

Winter Storage - Home Office?

We have a new to us 2013 238ML that we purchased from the original owner about a year and a half ago. We recently moved into a smaller home which means I no longer have a room in the house for dedicated office space. I work from home. We are storing our trailer in our driveway and I had planned to put a cover on it for the winter months. However, I have been using it as my home office all summer and it has worked out beautifully. All the conveniences of home and just steps away. Plus, this will work well as a spare guest room on the rare occasion when we have overnight guests.

I will continue to keep it under power and keep it heated. I will also winterize the water system. However, given the situation I don’t see how I can put a cover on it. Especially since I’ll be in and out of it all the time and I need to be able to see out the windows and open the roof vents occasionally while I’m working. It will not fit in my garage and I don’t have one of those aluminum structures I can park it under.

We live in the Pacific Northwest and get a lot of rain in the fall and winter months. Are there any concerns, thoughts or suggestions any of you have given the situation I described? I want to be careful about leaks as well as moisture, and anything else you all can think of I should be worrying about. Thank you!
Kalalaubeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Your main concern is to learn about maintaining the sealing material on your roof and the sides of the trailer (around windows/doors, etc). Get this done ASAP. If you haven't, install the appropriate 30A or 50A outlet near to the trailer (electrician) and plug the trailer in and use electric heat. A couple of oil filled heaters work well and are safe. As far as a cover, in a humid climate, they trap moisture and do more damage than good. If you built a hard RV port, that would keep the elements off your camper but I realize not everyone will want to do this over their drive. If you have property, perhaps a dedicated RV pad with hookups and RV port might be an answer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Summergirl

We live in the Pacific North West as well. My suggestion would to cover the top, with a smaller tarp. Covering just the roof and some of the side. I would also run a small dehumidifier during the night when the heat is off to help combat the moisture that will develop. Keep a small fan running to circulate the air. Otherwise it will be fine. We tarped our camper every year using a small heater to take the chill off and Dri ease to remove the moisture. Worked great for us.
With the trailer we just upped the amount of dri ease used, out a heater that has a fan and fully covered as we don’t use it Nov to March.
The oil filled heaters are great to heat but you do need air movement.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl View Post
We live in the Pacific North West as well. My suggestion would to cover the top, with a smaller tarp. Covering just the roof and some of the side. I would also run a small dehumidifier during the night when the heat is off to help combat the moisture that will develop. Keep a small fan running to circulate the air. Otherwise it will be fine. We tarped our camper every year using a small heater to take the chill off and Dri ease to remove the moisture. Worked great for us.
With the trailer we just upped the amount of dri ease used, out a heater that has a fan and fully covered as we don’t use it Nov to March.
The oil filled heaters are great to heat but you do need air movement.
Absolutely positively DO NOT cover the roof with a tarp, that's asking for mold/mildew issues.
You'd be better following George's recommendation of keeping a close watch of windows & other seals & not worry about covering it.
Do you cover it in the summer? If not why do it now?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:42 AM   #5
Mutamycete
Gone Traveling

Winter storage as a home office. To be honest, that sounds like an idea, but in fact, I am not really sure that it’s a good one. First of all, when I think about an office, it’s about durability, no? So, what kind of durability we can discuss here if you are simply moving for a season? The best option in case you need an office is to go see a place like (removed as spam) and let them find you a good office. All your requirements will be fulfilled, believe me. This is a company of professionals, not a scam agency!
Mutamycete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:03 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutamycete View Post
Winter storage as a home office. To be honest, that sounds like an idea, but in fact, I am not really sure that it’s a good one. First of all, when I think about an office, it’s about durability, no? So, what kind of durability we can discuss here if you are simply moving for a season? The best option in case you need an office is to go see a place like (removed as spam) and let them find you a good office. All your requirements will be fulfilled, believe me. This is a company of professionals, not a scam agency!

How would a company with a Singapore internet site be able to find an American an office? Do you actually own a camper? If so, please go to the UserCP at the top of every page and make a signature with camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle. Welcome!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
notanlines

Just say NO to the cover or any tarp system period. And for all the reasons listed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How would a company with a Singapore internet site be able to find an American an office? Do you actually own a camper? If so, please go to the UserCP at the top of every page and make a signature with camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle. Welcome!
Been quite a few new members in July with one random post …
Old 07-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Getn off

If someone is worried about using their RV as an office (or for traveling), best sell it now. Not sure what the big deal is of using an RV sitting at your residence vs at an RV park. Mine sits on my property and I use it often as a sanctuary. Many people full time with no issues.
I say enjoy it. The months you use it solely as an office, don’t forget to write it off!
And, absolutely, keep an eye on the seals…as you would even if you just stored it for the winters!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Didn’t that tax deduction for home offices go way? I know what you could deduct and the amount was being reduced evey year for quite a few years.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Getn off

You might be correct. I haven’t been able to use any deductions for many years (fortunately I guess) for myself. Wife used to be able to claim that for her biz, but I don’t pay attention to any of that anymore. Our CPA takes care of the hard work now! Lol
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #12
travelin texans

When we were able to park ours at the house I had water & electric (always plugged in with fridge on) installed & used my little blue buddy to dump tanks as needed. We used it as an office, a guest room & DWs sewing room or whatever else we wanted it to be. They hold up better being used far better than sitting stored all closed up, at least in my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter