Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #21
LewisB

We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that is nearly identical in weight/size to your 356; roughly 17K GVWR and 3K hitch. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 F350 DRW with 5560 payload. All the other posters are absolutely correct. The 356 is way too much trailer for an F250.

BTW, seeing all the campers towing overloaded with massive trailers behind a 3/4 ton truck is like sitting outside a bar at 2 a.m. and watching the drunks come out and drive away. Just because they are doing it doesn't mean it is safe, legal, or smart!

JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #22
81SHOVELHEAD

If you just have to have a toyhauler your best bet would be a bumper pull toy hauler. If you already bought the Raptor i have to agree you ain't got enough truck. In my personal opinion any 5th wheel listing a dry weight of over 12K puts you in the 1 ton range. Air bags does not increase cargo capacity
Old 09-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #23
CaptnJohn

My f359 srw was way over payload so didn't bother checking other weights, 3370 on the pin made the decision for a new f350 dually. payload rating 5598. Full fw and aux fuel and I have 960 cushion. OP, you need a dually.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:41 AM   #24
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that is nearly identical in weight/size to your 356; roughly 17K GVWR and 3K hitch. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 F350 DRW with 5560 payload. All the other posters are absolutely correct. The 356 is way too much trailer for an F250.

BTW, seeing all the campers towing overloaded with massive trailers behind a 3/4 ton truck is like sitting outside a bar at 2 a.m. and watching the drunks come out and drive away. Just because they are doing it doesn't mean it is safe, legal, or smart!

JMHO
My situation should not be considered typical because I am extremely cognizant of weights, weight ratings, and loading considerations. Not to toot my own horn, but 45 years flying single engine helicopters and light twins, required me to know what those limitations are and operate within them. Granted the RV won't fall off the road as quickly but it can lead to disaster if a person consistently ignores good safe operating practices.

Loading; my loading is arranged to take advantage of tradition toy hauler design and have "heavy toys" in the garage. If I had extra kitchen sinks they would be in the garage. Fluids, I have 2 main types, consumable (or consumed) and burnable. The idea is take what I need of each type and limit what I don't need. Water; I'm traveling with minimum fresh so I can have as much fuel as possible. Consumed water (black and grey tank contents) are kept at 0 or a minimum. Again to increase fuel for transit days. My GVWR for the Raptor is 17K and I'm loaded around 15.9K. The area I can load extra weight is the garage because that unloads to a certain amount the pin weight which becomes the critical loading region.

Should I have a dually, probably so and I wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to travel right and safe? Will I get a dually, maybe if the hassle of my current methods become too "weighty".

Meanwhile yesterday's travel was inadvertently in severe thunderstorms and high gusty side winds most of the day. Central and northern Illinois. I slowed and even stopped in a rest area until the rain slacked but in all this I didn't have any sway or signifiant buffetting from the winds. After the storms I could see the trees swaying but until I stopped at a rest area for some "relief" and the door pulled out of my grip, I didn't realize how brisk the winds were. Truck and trailer very stable and solid. Happy tow.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #25
Gunny Mike

We were relying on the trailer life towing guide when I bought our F250 for a 5er. Ended up passing on the Montana after putting $5k down and bought a Outback 341RD instead. I still get a little squat in the back myself. Wife hasn't been happy for the past two years since she didn't get her Montana. Wish their was some type of app where you can put info in to assist. I recall one salesman telling us a 3/4 ton can pull all 2 axles 5rs, and a three axle trailer would require a F350.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
We were relying on the trailer life towing guide when I bought our F250 for a 5er. Ended up passing on the Montana after putting $5k down and bought a Outback 341RD instead. I still get a little squat in the back myself. Wife hasn't been happy for the past two years since she didn't get her Montana. Wish their was some type of app where you can put info in to assist. I recall one salesman telling us a 3/4 ton can pull all 2 axles 5rs, and a three axle trailer would require a F350.

^^^^^And that salesman, and those like him, is one of the reasons so many folks tow overweight unknowingly thinking everything is fine. There should be some sort of policy that prohibited sales people from even discussing weights. Most I've talked to don't even tow RVs; one had an older MH as I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #27
philiprmcgovern

How much truck threads

Having driven a F150, F250 and 350 DRW to tow two different Fifth Wheels, I have learned that the safest and simplest solution is just go ahead, bite the bullet, and invest in the F350 or F450 RWD and be done with it

Benefits:
- You will have a towing beast
- If you decide later to get a bigger RV, you’re covered.
- You can stop reading the “How much truck?” threads.
philiprmcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
NEVER listen to a truck or RV salesman or rely on any published listings when determining suitable rv/truck weights, the salesman don't know/don't care or spouting dry weights that mean nothing & the publishings are usually for a truck you'd never find or buy.
There's only 2 numbers needed for calculations, the payload of YOUR truck from the sticker on the drivers door & the GVWR of YOUR rv posted on the driver side front corner then calculate 10-15% tongue weight for TTs or 20-25% pin weight for 5th wheels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Lots of good advice but it is falling on the deaf ears of the OP who hasn't been on for five days. Never quite sure why folks ask about the ability of a truck to tow a specific camper if they don't hear what they want to hear. Probably make a lot of folks happy if a sticky was put up saying it was just dandy to pull their DRV Mobile Suites fifth wheel with their Tundra or better with their SUV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:27 AM   #30
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprmcgovern View Post
Having driven a F150, F250 and 350 DRW to tow two different Fifth Wheels, I have learned that the safest and simplest solution is just go ahead, bite the bullet, and invest in the F350 or F450 RWD and be done with it

Benefits:
- You will have a towing beast
- If you decide later to get a bigger RV, you’re covered.
- You can stop reading the “How much truck?” threads.

Certainly, the F350/F450 is more capable than smaller trucks, and can tow many trailers in use today. But there are trailers that are too much even for these trucks. You should always, always evaluate your numbers and make sure your trailer is within the specs for your tow vehicle.

No one should assume that if they have a 1-ton dually, they can tow any trailer.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:58 AM   #31
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Lots of good advice but it is falling on the deaf ears of the OP who hasn't been on for five days. Never quite sure why folks ask about the ability of a truck to tow a specific camper if they don't hear what they want to hear. Probably make a lot of folks happy if a sticky was put up saying it was just dandy to pull their DRV Mobile Suites fifth wheel with their Tundra or better with their SUV.
You are absolutely correct, George. In the OP, he states "Going Bigger" and "I have...a F250..." and then he states "We are getting...a Raptor 356". He asked about fixing the "squatting" of his truck - how would he know it squats unless he had already hooked up? In post #4, he states "actually buying the Raptor". So, I think he had already made the purchase decisions.

Within the first hour of his post, he had his answers. Jeff (jsb5717) answered his questions - he would need a 1 ton and likely a DRW. And the advice has been consistent. So this leaves a good "trail" for any subsequent new users who happen to review the thread.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
You are absolutely correct, George. In the OP, he states "Going Bigger" and "I have...a F250..." and then he states "We are getting...a Raptor 356". He asked about fixing the "squatting" of his truck - how would he know it squats unless he had already hooked up? In post #4, he states "actually buying the Raptor". So, I think he had already made the purchase decisions.

Within the first hour of his post, he had his answers. Jeff (jsb5717) answered his questions - he would need a 1 ton and likely a DRW. And the advice has been consistent. So this leaves a good "trail" for any subsequent new users who happen to review the thread.

Might be handy to have a sub forum where these threads could reside to make finding them easier for those wanting real info on their ability to tow with a certain tow vehicle and camper. I think the answers to these questions generally fall into the "you ain't got enough truck" category and the responses by the original poster are one of two ways; ignore and ask about air bags or magic hitches OR some actually heed the advice. Sadly too many put their lives and the lives of their families and other motorists in danger because they can't accept good advice given here. For those that do heed good advice, thanks!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #33
notanlines

I think George (all of you for that matter) is correct. He hasn't been back for more than a week, and he stated "Actually buying the Raptor 356" awhile back.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see" probably applies here. A saying coined by the once famous quarterback of the Texas Aggies, Johnny Manziel.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote