Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
SRD

It's never ending

Took a long trip in June to the beautiful UP of Michigan. Made two stops for the night on the way up and one on the way back. Seems like every stop setting up camp we would find a bolt, screws parts off our slide on the floor. On one night my wife reaches to pull night shade and it pulled off the wall. The Indiana roads are terrible, Illinois and Wisconsin not a whole lot better. I know the trailers take a beating, just didn't expect so much coming loose on one trip. Got everything back together and made my rounds checking for loose fastners
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Sarge2

First time I pulled down the shade on the slide in my 2020 Passport it pulled one of the screws out of the wall.... And I was not pulling hard on it...
I think the screw was stripped to begin with since it went into nothing but the thin wallboard... Joys of TT ownership I guess..lol
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

On a new RV the number of stripped, crooked and misaligned screws is staggering. Why? That fellow that was driving the horse and buggy yesterday with corn in the wagon today has a big drill/driver in his hand and was told "take all 1001 of these things laid out here on the floor with these 10,047 screws and screw them into the labeled cutouts. Do it fast, the trailer moves to the next station in 30 minutes". Buggy driver asks "how do I do that with this" (indicating driver). He is told "take that square bit on the end, insert it in the square box on the end of the screw, put it in the hole and pull the trigger on the driver while putting pressure into the screw". Buggy driver asks "when is it in far enough"? The reply "when the screw head is flat against the surface and the wood dust stops coming out". Voila! Perfect inserted screw for an RV with the added convenience that you can just grab it with your fingers and pull it out.....no driver required!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

danny reminds me of the first time I handed our ex son-in-law my 20v Dewalt screw gun. After stripping the heads on about six screws I yelled at him to put his A$$ into it and hold pressure against the screw. He did and then let out a big OUCH! and said it hurt his wrist.

I told him to buy slip on shoes because he didn't have enough sense to tie his. Yes, I am THAT father in law from He!!. Oh well, thankfully he's an ex SIL
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Plain and simple:

RV:
Repair
Vehicle

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
SRD

Protecting my investment

I spend some time during the camping season working on upgrades, washing cleaning and preventative maintance. And most every time my wife replies, I didn't know owning a camper could be so much work.And sometimes I have to agree. But it is worth it when it's time to go camping
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote