Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
ronheater70

ADQ, I had to prior Forest river products before the Keystone I have now in my signature.
I Just happened to like this design more than what forest river had to offer at the time for the price. INMHO I don't think forest river any better or worse than Keystone from my experience So far. Had many many family trips with 2 teenage daughters and thoer friends, Our Son, his wife, grandson etc in those 2 forest rivers and really have not a single bad thing to say in terms of reliability and construction.. I di have one slide switch give me a lil problem, but it was easily swapped out.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
travelin texans

We've had 3-5th wheels since retirement in '08, 1st was an '02 FR Cedar Creek we bought used 3-4 years before retirement, 2nd was a new '09 Heartland Big Country, 3rd was a '13 Crossroads (now Keystone) Redwood. Which BTW Heartland, Crossroads & Keystone are all Thor owned subsidiaries along with about a dozen others. Honestly wouldn't swear to better build quality in one over there other, all had minor issues, but all had different issues.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
Roscommon48

it is interesting uyou don't want any appliances on a side out...not an issue as far as I know..I've had 4 5th wheels and never had an issue.
The only issues I see with going high end on 5th wheels is when you go to sell it your value will be about the same as what a new 'not' high end 5th wheel will cost NEW.

The second issue is is that when you are talking NH your are talking about another much larger truck...one of those semi truck style trucks.

but overall if you go custom, $100K+ you will get everything you want.

good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #24
CaptnJohn

Look at the recall list. I bought a FR and didn’t learn so after 4 months dumped it on another. Really dumb. Now on my 4th Keystone 5er and pleased. The last 3 Montanas.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #25
ADQ K9

Roscommon48,
If the appliances are mounted in the slides there are flex points for propane and water lines creating more of a possibility for a leak. My son is an RV tech primarily on Winnebago products, working on his certifications. This was a recommendation from him. I agree with him from an engineering standpoint.

The Tiffins are also somewhat heavy especially the Vilano there is one model that has only a 500 and some lb carrying capacity
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:16 AM   #26
notanlines

Mike, "there is one model that has only a 500 and some lb carrying capacity" maybe this deserves some explanation. I'm not certain where you're coming from on that statement. Thanks...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #27
ADQ K9

Jim,
Ok may be I need to go deeper for this. I have toured NH and Vanleigh (Tiffin) in person last summer the NH was a Majestic/Summit hybrid and the Vanleigh I toured was a Beacon
mikz86ta recommended I look at Tiffins, I have, and they are nice units. but they are also heavy like the others. My comment comes from this article
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/rvs/viva-vilano/
I miss spoke it is only 360# cargo carrying capacity but can be upgraded and that is only one model. Still the picture I get is that they are heavy
How is your set up performing BTW? with the 450 and DRV Toyhauler?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
notanlines

Mike, so far (third season) it couldn't be better, although the DRV isn't a TH. We sold our Raptor because we needed more room. I don't seem to have the same opinion of a dually as do most members as far as stability. (Yes, I certainly do see the NECESSITY of it) It seems to tow about the same as with the F350. We have had good experiences triple towing so that's the way we roll. We are still using our Demco auto-slider with the auto-slide disabled. I'm kind of drawn to the Anderson, but we don't need the bed of the truck so we keep our money in our pocket.
Our RV friends coming in a few weeks run a Tiffin and I've got to ask him about his cargo capacity. I know it's heavy, but I would think the capacity should be up around 3K or so. 350 won't cover the average pop-up camper family...
Jim
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote