Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
ADQ K9

2600 miles on a Ford Edge in 17 days

Well our annual fall trip is in the bag. Original plans to do the Blue Ridge Parkway fell through. We landed in Chicago on the 13th, rented a Ford Edge, traveled to Lexington for family, Louisville for the young ones National TKD tournament. The team did really good bringing 8 grand champion trophies back to Alaska. After sending the team back to Alaska we took another week to visit more family in SW Missouri. We spent a week there headed back to Chicago and flew back Tuesday.
I found the Edge to be very comfortable and held all of our luggage in the back(3 people plus TKD gear). The only complaint I had was that I felt that the steering was squirrely. it was a 2019 Titanium model and had the lane keeping feature on it. Torque steer was also noticeable too. Our 2014 Explorer still has more room, but it being 4 wheel drive makes a big difference in handling IMO. I really enjoyed the LED head lights too, they make a big difference seeing wildlife on the dark Missouri county roads. All in all it was a good trip with a good vehicle.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Well our annual fall trip is in the bag. Original plans to do the Blue Ridge Parkway fell through. We landed in Chicago on the 13th, rented a Ford Edge, traveled to Lexington for family, Louisville for the young ones National TKD tournament. The team did really good bringing 8 grand champion trophies back to Alaska. After sending the team back to Alaska we took another week to visit more family in SW Missouri. We spent a week there headed back to Chicago and flew back Tuesday.
I found the Edge to be very comfortable and held all of our luggage in the back(3 people plus TKD gear). The only complaint I had was that I felt that the steering was squirrely. it was a 2019 Titanium model and had the lane keeping feature on it. Torque steer was also noticeable too. Our 2014 Explorer still has more room, but it being 4 wheel drive makes a big difference in handling IMO. I really enjoyed the LED head lights too, they make a big difference seeing wildlife on the dark Missouri county roads. All in all it was a good trip with a good vehicle.
I have a 2013 Edge and love it! My husband and I are weighing buying a new Edge AWD model or an Explorer. We will rent an Explorer and take a roadtrip to get a good feel for it.
MisaLetet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
ADQ K9

We love our Explorer, gonna hold on to it as long as we can. The Explorer is all new for 2020. There are some production problems that should be worked out by now. This is normal any time there is a major change in the model from any manufacturer. We have 2 medium sized dogs that would not fit comfortably in an Edge and our 6'1" teenager says the Explorer has more rear leg room. We got an average of about 25 MPG for the trip combined highway city driving but mostly highway.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer twin), a 2004 Explorer, a 2008 Escape and just bought a 2019 Edge AWD. With only 1500 miles on the Edge, I'm not fully acquainted with all its features and "quirks"...

That said, there's nearly as much space in the Edge as in the previous Explorers, significantly MORE space than in the Escape and it feels "tight, quiet and solid" on the road....

One "un-nerving feature" (I guess it's designed to do it) is to steer around a curve, cut "close to the center line" (my normal driving style) and have the car "move me back to the lane center" even "rumble stripping the wheel and seat" as a reminder that I'm "not where the computer expects me to be"....

Granted, all that can be "turned off" with a few clicks of the controls on the steering wheel, but stop the car, start it again and "voila, it's all back, ready to remind you it doesn't like what you're doing"......

I can say that I wish my truck (2015 F250 diesel) had some (not all) of the "driver assist features" that are on the Edge and the computer interface is much improved over the 2015 Ford My Touch programming.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
ADQ K9

John,
Do you notice any torque steer under acceleration from a stop or does the AWD computer compensate for that? The auto engine shut down drove me nuts and I shut it off every time I started the vehicle. When I got home the truck wouldn't recognize my phone set to "Favorite" solved the problem by removing and reinstalling the phone. I agree the Sync 3 is eaiser to work with
Old 10-31-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

No, I do not notice any torque steer issues with the AWD. We haven't (didn't) test drive a FWD model, so I can't compare the two. I can say that the Edge has a remarkably more solid "feel" on the road than the Escape. Of course, I'd expect a significant improvement in 11 years. My "seat of the pants" feel is that steering is appropriate whether steering straight or in a curve, under heavy acceleration or cruising, there's no significant difference in "steering feel".

As for rear seat legroom, on the Ford website, the 2019 Explorer rear legroom is 39.5" and the Edge rear legroom is 40.6"... That said, I discovered a "significant sleight of hand" back in 1990 in our Plymouth Acclaim. The legroom was significantly longer than in a comparable Taurus. HOWEVER (there's always a catch)... The Taurus seat (front to back) was 21.5" while the Acclaim seat measurement was 16". So even though the Acclaim had 2" more rear legroom, the actual seating space was 3.5" less than the Taurus... That may be what your son "sensed" with his "seat of the pants, there's less legroom" in the Edge because the seat hits your thighs much closer to your butt which makes it feel like there's more legroom from that space forward...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I rented an Edge for 3 weeks in CO in 2018 so I don't have a new one to compare to but figure they're pretty comparable except for the electronics. I couldn't get anything 4wd in Pagosa but it was the closest thing with AWD. I did feel some torque steer but it had the 2.7 ECB and only when I tromped on it. Now, for torque steer get a FWD Explorer. Bought a 2017 thinking I was going to give up 4wd in my SUVs. It had the 3.5 (non turbo) never thinking of torque steer (that was so 80s wasn't it??). First time I tromped it for whatever reason it felt like it was going to jerk the wheel from my hands. 11 mos., 9k miles was all I could take (guess the one I test drove must have had AWD or something, it did have the 3.5 ECB). I think if it were me I would go with AWD or 4x4 if offered....I sure did like the electronics though
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Brantlyj

We had a 2009 Edge AWD. Absolutely loved it. One of the best cars we ever owned. We got some good snow the years we owned it and it went through everything. I almost bought another but was able to get myself into a F250 which is what I truly wanted anyways.
Only reason we got rid of it was because my wife got pregnant with our third and the car seats the other two were in wouldn’t fit in the back row. Got excuse to get the F150 I had for awhile. :banana:

Watch the AWD though. Ford claims its lubed for life but ours failed at 60,000 miles. There is a catalytic converters right next to it and even with a shield the fluid gets cooked. Follow fordtechmakuloco on YouTube for all the details.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford