Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #1
Prhodes

WiFi Connection Issue

I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 29Rbd. I am staying at an RV Park that requires a voucher code to connect to their WiFi. When I click on the "guest wifi" it takes me to a splash page to enter a voucher code to connect to their WiFi. That is fine on my computer or phone but I can't connect my smart TV or my Apple TV because neither of those items have a browser to redirect me to the splash page. Is there a workaround this issue or what is the fix to this?
Prhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably not. I'd guess it's an "intentional block" by the campground (in the way they set up their login process) to prevent streaming on their WIFI system. If you look at the "campground rules for WIFI use", I'd suspect that there's a statement, "No video streaming allowed as it slows the system for other guests".

Setting up a login procedure that prevents TV's and "central hot spots" from logging into the campground WIFI is probably their way of "preventing abuse by streaming"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I recently went through this at a resort (non rv). As John said, I suspect that the campground will not allow streaming. In my case they did but I had to pay $19.99 week for the extra bandwidth.

In my situation I bought an Amazon Fire Stick (with browser) and connected to the TV, used either my laptop or smartphone as a hotspot connected to the resort "splash page" then used the Fire Stick to connect to the hotspot.

Worked flawlessly but if they hadn't had the option for the extra bandwidth would probably only been able to do email and stuff like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
John&Genny

I really don’t think it’s a intentional blockage of streaming, instead more. of a limitation of the devices not being able to bring up a web page to login to a filtered wifi network. We have a filtered network at our campground and the only reason I’m able to use my Hulu is I have a WiFi Ranger that allows me to login. Once I’ve connected to the network using the Ranger, I can stream using the Hulu because I’m connected to the Ranger’s router instead.

Some workarounds you might consider is using a iPad because most streaming services have a iPad app, and the iPad can be easily connected to a filtered WiFi network. The iPad can be connected to your TV using a Lightning port to HDMI adapter.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
I really don’t think it’s a intentional blockage of streaming, instead more. of a limitation of the devices not being able to bring up a web page to login to a filtered wifi network.....
Correct.

You will see many campground doing same. This limits the number of connected devices. There is, among others, a workaround but it requires you install a WiFi router in your RV. That is what I've done a few years ago. This way, all your RV devices connect to YOUR router, not the campground's. You only need to connect your WiFi to the campground and it shows up as 1 device, even if you have a dozen in your RV... Very cool. Mind you, if you a crappy slow connection, it will not work well for streaming.

There are good YouTube tutorials online to help you configure it, I follow a gent, David Bott, who has good ones. If you're not comfortable with this ask a friend who is to help. Worth it and not expensive.

https://youtu.be/WGLwwREDzNQ
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi