Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #21
Phil Saran

When I purchased my truck this past May it had the B&W goose neck hitch
in the bed but no in-bed plug.

I bought a B&W slider hitch for it and when they installed it they also installed
a in bed plug.

Like others I have to drop the tailgate to plug in the cord, but I also have to carry
a 3 step latter for reaching the levers for hooking up the 5th wheel trailer.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
MrEnto

Make sure the rear of the plug has enough clearance to the inside of the fender skin. I tried to keep the plug high in the bed and came dangerously close to not having enough clearance at the back of the plug. You should be able to see from below the truck up under there.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
mahdi

In bed is easier and safer. I use a two step ladder to connect the levers and the power cord. It is over the wheel base.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #24
mikz86ta

Our 2011 Sierra DRW we bought had been previously equipped for 5er towing with the hitch. But no in-bed plug.
I used the bumper factory plug and was not comfortable with it like thT.
Found out the HD Sierra was pre-wired with wires loomed in an extension on the drivers frame rail. The wires were capped and taped up.
I just bought a covered do-it yourself plug receptacle and installed it in the bed side behind the drivers tail lamp area. eTrailer has a couple real nice videos on this. Hole saw, and some basic hand tools. The wire harness had a wire code label on it but you can also search online.
In-bed plug is way safer
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #25
Peacemkr53

Agreed. In bed is the safest for the 5er. Bumper receptacle is for TT. Or my toy hauler (Wells 16')
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
Local150

Cord

I use the over the tail gate and near the bumper, I think I would rather have it in the bed but then again,, have never had a problem so have never changed it
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #27
SR71 Jet Mech

I installed one in my bed as soon as we bought the 5er. Bought it at etrailer, it plugs right in line with the factory bumper outlet. Other than a hole saw it’s super easy. Didn’t like the cord hanging over the tailgate.

Just my $.02

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #28
jimborokz

Last two trucks had the bumper plug and one time I didn't have it latched correctly and the plug came out on route and dragged on the road and wore the plug right out. New truck with 5th wheel prep has it in the bed and it's so nice to have everything in that bed, plus if it should come unplugged I get a dash warning telling me trailer is disconnected.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #29
Jmill8

seven pin plug

Assume you are towing 5er, I have always and will always use in bed connection. To many opportunities for damage using bumper connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
What is your feeling about an in bed vs. rear connection for the trailer wiring?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Seems easy enough to install, I would assume easy to use but is there any real advantage over using the rear connection on the truck?
Jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, wiring