Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
pmf

GFI outlet tripped and won't work now

Good morning everyone,

We had the GFI trip in the bathroom which also controls everything in the kitchen. I reset it yesterday and everything worked until sometime last night and then it tripped again. I couldn't get it reset this morning even though the light goes and then comes back on when I reset it. Could this be a bad receptacle with the GFI or something worse? I'm not at a place where I can take it in for service since we are living in it and they'll probably keep it for a week or 2.

It's in a 2018 Keystone Sprinter 334FWFLS

Thanks as always,
Pat
2018 Keystone Sprinter 334FWFLS
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It could be the GFI outlet, or it could be a wiring issue. GFI receptacles are easy enough to change and you can get one at your local Home Depot/Lowes. Unplug from shore power, and pay attention to the connections. There is Line side (in) and Load (out).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
Canonman

Could be the GFI is faulty or weak. You can try a replacement from any hardware store as a first step. Or, when you remove the GFI plug, disconnect the "field side" wires to eliminate the rest of the plugs in the circuit. Then try the GFI again. If it holds the problem may be with one of the other plugs. Look for any plugs that may have been compromised by water or has something plugged in that may be causing the problem.
It only takes about a 4ma difference to trip the GFI so even something very subtle can be causing the GFI to trip.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
cpaulsen

GFI outlets are known to go bad.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
pmf

Well, this is embarrassing but when I got home yesterday everything in the kitchen was working. It turns out that I put the GFI in test mode instead of resetting it and that is what you get for trying to fix something at 6 am. My wife got it going and I'll probably not live this one down for awhile.

I think the thing that is tripping it is we purchased an ice maker which I turn off at night but I think it was going into sleep mode then turning off later at night. I turned it off last night and unplugged it and we didn't have the problem. It's something I need to trouble shoot a little more but for now, the problem is resolved if only temporary.

Thanks again for everyone's advice,
Pat
Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Canonman

Glad to hear you found an easy fix as well as a reasonable cause for the problem.
I'm guessing you'll be hearing about how "She" took care of the problem for a long time to come
Make sure to give her proper credit and thanks often and maybe she'll put a little dressing on that "crow" you'll be eating.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
Well, this is embarrassing but when I got home yesterday everything in the kitchen was working. It turns out that I put the GFI in test mode instead of resetting it and that is what you get for trying to fix something at 6 am. My wife got it going and I'll probably not live this one down for awhile.

I think the thing that is tripping it is we purchased an ice maker which I turn off at night but I think it was going into sleep mode then turning off later at night. I turned it off last night and unplugged it and we didn't have the problem. It's something I need to trouble shoot a little more but for now, the problem is resolved if only temporary.

Thanks again for everyone's advice,
Pat

Check to see how many "things" are plugged in on that circuit. An icemaker doesn't use huge amounts of power but it is substantial if I recall. I have the larger Dometic portable and run it all the time without any issues - I leave it on 24x7..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
pmf

We have a Keurig, the Igloo ice machine, sonic tooth brush and charge a couple phones at night. I'm going to move the phones but I wouldn't think that would be too much.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Canonman

Your GFI is not meant to protect against over amperage. That's the job of the circuit breaker, 20 or 30 amp. In simple terms, the GFI is looking for the same voltage/amperage coming back (on the neutral) as went out on the hot lead. If any variance i.e. loss is detected it trips and opens the circuit. GFI is there to protect the user from any voltage going to ground. If the ice maker or any other device has an electrical issue sending voltage to ground then the device will cause the GFI to trip. The GFI operates at the milliamp level so a device causing the GFI to trip should show itself any time it's plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	14117