Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
TyeKane

Question Suburban Hot water. No gas to Valve inlet

Hey all,
So I bought a new gas valve because my burner wasnt lighting up. My unit is only a couple of years old but what else could it be right?
so I tested the outlet of the old valve, no gas, It is cycling properly and you can hear it click open and closed, so I removed it and there is also no gas from the inlet for the valve. no supply? I have gas. the furnace, stove and oven all work fine. I cannot find any reason for there to be no flow.

Does anyone know if there is a control gas valve or some isolation or what may be happening here? Everything comes off the same header.

I own a 2015 Fuzion 404. suburban hot water tank.
TyeKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Take the supply off at the water heater and WITH NO FLAME OR IGNITION SOURCE, turn on the propane. If you cant smell any odorant then the line is clogged or kinked. If you do smell gas put it back on.
I have seen lines get caught or kinked.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
TyeKane

So I found out what went wrong.
I removed the valve and turned on the propane and the pressure was high enough to push out this light coloured oil out of the line. Anybody know what this is?

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Not sure about the oil, but I think there is a small amount in propane, maybe you got a bad "batch" last time you filled a cylinder.

I do notice WHITE thread tape, unless it says it is gas rated, I would replace it. Gas rated tape is usually yellow I believe.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
66joej

Yes on the tape chuckster57 and there is a certain amount of oil in propane especially if it has been sitting in the lines for some time.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

LPG has an "odorant" added so you can smell a leak. That "odorant" is called Mercaptin and is an "oil-based" additive. Over the years it will accumulate in the propane tanks and can also accumulate in low spots in the propane lines. It may not be an accumulation from "YOUR" tanks but an accumulation that comes from the tank where the LPG was dispensed into your tank. So, if you use one regular source for filling your propane tanks, you might want to ask them if they've cleaned/purged their storage tank or if they have recently had any maintenance done on their LPG storage/delivery equipment.

As for the Teflon tape, most white tape is "single density" and is not certified for LPG use. The "double density" yellow tape is LP certified. And, the "triple density" tape is pink. It's used for fittings larger than 1/2" pipe size. I've heard that white double density tape can be special ordered, but it isn't usually available at retail outlets. So, always use the yellow tape for LP fittings, that way you "know for sure" it's not single density Teflon tape.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I prefer Rectors #5. Have 2 cans of it in my box.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
TyeKane

Don't worry guys the tape is just fine for this application. Good points about the types of tape out there.
I'm thinking this is a build up from the big 250 lbs pig seasonal tanks I used over the winter. Luckily it was an easy fix. I guess I should return the new valve now.
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Tags
gas, water