Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
locomech

Denver to Cedar City, UT.

I'll be pulling our 27' passport along I-70 to I-15 going to Cedar City, Utah in about a month or so. I'm from the Midwest and have little experience pulling a trailer through the mountains. My tow vehicle is a 2013 F-150 eco-boost and it pulls the trailer quite well. What I'd like to know is what to expect as far as height and width restrictions along that route that I might encounter such as tunnels, bridges and such.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
gkainz

I-70 to I-15 has tunnels but nothing with any restrictions that would affect you. It's the normal route for semi traffic... be prepared for a few significant grades, a long pull westward out of Denver up the Eisenhower Tunnel, and again up over Vail Pass. Watch your downhill speeds and stay in a lower gear going downhill.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
craign

locomech,

We drove between Colorado Springs KOA and Cedar City, UT, in 2014 with a few stops in between. Our trailer is a Premier 22RBPR and the tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra with tow package and the 5.7 liter engine. The uphill grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel was a non-issue, as the truck was easily up to the task. The downgrades were a concern since we had not driven downhill for these distances before. That being said, all went well, just watch your downhill speeds.

We used the "Next Exit" book to locate RV-friendly gas stations. For most of the stretch, there was nothing that fit the bill. At Vail Pass, we topped off the gas tank at a roadside rest using our 5 gallon gas cans that we brought on the trip. If we had taken the time to occasionally exit the interstate to find an RV-friendly gas station, we may have found something that would have worked out for us.

There should be no tunnel or road issues of concern. In fact, the view is fascinating for two people who grew up in the east. Don't forget to take pictures/videos as you descend from the mountains.

Once on I-15, watch your speed. As I remember, the speed limit is 85 mph. It seemed too easy to go too fast for the camper tires.

Enjoy the trip!

Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
notanlines

If I remember our miles through Colorado the maximum was 75, but even that was probably too fast for an old man towing a Raptor. Those of you with big trucks and Bullets can fly at 75 if you like.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
66joej

Interesting thing about those 85 MPH sections in Utah. Last time through there in 2013 we had a 5er running at 65 MPH we were passed by many many RVs going near that 85 mark. More nerve than I ever had.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote