Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
collins590

I installed the bal lock-arm stabilizers and they made a huge difference. I have a sprinter 319mks and it has the lippert electric stabilizers. They would flex a lot and any movement at all would feel like your on a boat. There is still a small bit of movement if you really try but nothing you really notice anymore from normal movement.
collins590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #22
MarineFam

Have any of you used supports for your slide outs? Curious if that helps. Wasn't sure if that could do any harm to it. I'm getting ready to order a set of JT Strongarms. A friend had them and they made a big difference. I'm still thinking I'll need support in the middle like some of you were talking about. Gonna see how this helps first.
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #23
Mike484

Just my opinion.

I don't like the idea of slide out supports. You will never get rid of all the "rocking" of your RV unless you put it up on blocks. I believe that if the sides are supported, then when the trailer has any "rocking", it will put unwanted stress between the RV and slide out. Could possibly cause damage that you do not want.

But, why do they sell slide supports if they could cause damage to your rig? I don't know, but I won't take that chance.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #24
MarineFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Just my opinion.

I don't like the idea of slide out supports. You will never get rid of all the "rocking" of your RV unless you put it up on blocks. I believe that if the sides are supported, then when the trailer has any "rocking", it will put unwanted stress between the RV and slide out. Could possibly cause damage that you do not want.

But, why do they sell slide supports if they could cause damage to your rig? I don't know, but I won't take that chance.
Agree. A friend of mine bought them and I mentioned my reservations about them and like you mentioned, why would they sell them. I just haven't Ben sold on them myself. Being new to the forum I was curious if people had any experience with them.

I blocked ours when we were seasonal but now am ordering the JT Strongarms to help combat my growing teenage boys lol

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Another "history lesson" (Geesh I'm starting to feel old)...

Back when "tip outs" (not slide outs) first became popular in travel trailers, they were "cantilevered boxes" that "flipped into the trailer" for travel and "flipped out of the trailer" for extra space when camping. The design of those "tip outs" necessitated "supports" to keep them level during use.

When the transition to slides occurred in the late 70's/early 80's, initially they also required supports under them (and "travel locks" to keep them from deploying during travel). Through the years, slide engineering has improved significantly and today's slides do not require any "underpinning support".

Not to be "outdone", the manufacturers of "tip out supports" apparently decided to rename them "slide out supports" and continue selling them as an optional item to "improve the camping experience". Hmmmmm

This "new marketing of an old product" keeps them in the "selling game" (making money from RV'ers who read the advertisement and see a "must have"). They usually don't live up to their "hype" and as noted below, can cause more damage than good.....

Now, with today's slide mechanisms, the entire slide is supported by the mechanism and once deployed, becomes an integral part of the RV. The rams (or cable system and slide framework) support the weight of the slide and any movement of the slide frame "must mirror" movement of the RV frame. If the two move independently, the rams (or cable system) can be damaged, causing problems with alignment and operation of the slide mechanism.

Placing "slide out supports" under the slide will cause it not to "move with the rams and the RV frame", possibly bending the rams. This could damage your slide mechanism causing expensive repairs to be needed.

Even though the "RV marketers" claim that slide supports help with stability, the potential damage they can cause (if the RV moves and the slide doesn't) makes them more of a potential problem than an advantage in stability.

Heaven help the RV owner who has slide stabilizers under his RV and has the "highly unlikely" problem of two flat tires on that side of his RV. I wouldn't want to even consider the damage that could occur.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #26
MarineFam

That was the thought I had when my buddy bought them but he got them anyway and wondered why I still haven't. I rarely see people have them.

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #27
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Another "history lesson" (Geesh I'm starting to feel old)...

Back when "tip outs" (not slide outs) first became popular in travel trailers, they were "cantilevered boxes" that "flipped into the trailer" for travel and "flipped out of the trailer" for extra space when camping. The design of those "tip outs" necessitated "supports" to keep them level during use.

When the transition to slides occurred in the late 70's/early 80's, initially they also required supports under them (and "travel locks" to keep them from deploying during travel). Through the years, slide engineering has improved significantly and today's slides do not require any "underpinning support".

Not to be "outdone", the manufacturers of "tip out supports" apparently decided to rename them "slide out supports" and continue selling them as an optional item to "improve the camping experience". Hmmmmm
We had one with two tip outs in the early 80's. Today when I say tip outs, I can't find anyone that has a clue what Im talking about, even at our dealership.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #28
the sodfather

I've got a couple tip out, flip out, slide supports or whatever you want to call them for sale. Cheap...
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote