Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
socalroger

2012 Cougar Xlite travel trailer, walkable roof?

Is the roof on a 2012 Cougar Xlite travel trailer walkable? I am new to the forum. Is it possible to get an official answer from Keystone?

If the roof is walkable, are there attachment points to support the addition of a roof ladder? I'm not sure if Keystone offered a ladder as an option on this year and model.

thx
SocalRoger
socalroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
ROLIN JOSEPH

Socalroger,
I'm not the official Keystone answer you were hoping for, however, we own a 2013 X-lite and I have walked on the roof many times to clean it and check it out for caulking. Check out the picture of the roof trusses of this unit.
My unit did not come equipped with a ladder but I have seen factory installed versions of it. I do not know if an aftermarket ladder can be attached safely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	10941  

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalroger View Post
Is the roof on a 2012 Cougar Xlite travel trailer walkable? I am new to the forum. Is it possible to get an official answer from Keystone?

If the roof is walkable, are there attachment points to support the addition of a roof ladder? I'm not sure if Keystone offered a ladder as an option on this year and model.

thx
SocalRoger
First of all, welcome to the Keystone Forum. Please take a look at the bottom of every page of this forum where you will find this disclaimer:
"This forum is owned and operated by Superior Network Solutions, Inc., a California corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company and is not affiliated with the Keystone RV Company or its related companies in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company."

The only way you'll get an "official" statement from Keystone is to contact Customer Service at:
2425 Davis Drive
PO Box 2000
Goshen, IN 46527-2000
Phone (toll free): (866) 425-4369

or contact them on the internet at: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...parts-warranty

Good luck with your request for "official information" and again, welcome to the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
bjansen

Keystone will more than likely say that the roof is not walkable. I have a 2014 Keystone Bullet and this came up in a Facebook Bullet group. Someone in the group called Keystone and asked and they were told "it's not walkable." This is interesting as they also state in their manual that you should check the roof periodically for tears and open seems. I get on mine to wash it and put on my cover. I'm up there about 6-8 times a year.

Realistically, the roof is walkable if you are careful. As shown in a previous post, there are ribs running side-to-side under the roofing material. For the light weight trailers, there is a a very thin piece of plywood laid over this and then the roofing membrane. If you are careful and step on the ribs, you will be ok. If you step between the ribs, you don't have a lot of support and this could cause you problems if you break the thin plywood underneath. Think about walking in an unfinished attic. Step on the joists, and you're ok, Step between the joists and you have a problem.

When you get on the roof, you can feel for the ribs and then put your weight down. With the age of your trailer, you might even be able to see some visible signs of their location. If you want to be extremely careful, drag a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood up there that will span the ribs and walk on the plywood. A foot wide and 24" long should be fine. The ribs on mine are 16" on-center, and I imagine your's are the same.
bjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
bill-e

I use 2" thick foam board insulation (blue) and they work fine and wont damage the roof. If you use plywood use duct tape to cushion all the edges as it's easy to poke a corner through the membrane.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I use 2" thick foam board insulation (blue) and they work fine and wont damage the roof. If you use plywood use duct tape to cushion all the edges as it's easy to poke a corner through the membrane.

Good point on the edges of the plywood. A good thing about the thick foam board it doesn't weigh anything so you can take it with you.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote