Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
cnbhand

Dexter EZ Flex install

I have installed one side of the Cougar 5th wheel with EZ Flex bushings, shackles, and equalizer. The bronze bushings went in with no effort I literally pushed them in with my finger. Will this cause problems in wear? It seems all of the holes are just a tad larger than the bushings. There is almost no clearance but not what I consider snug. Any thoughts?
cnbhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Over time, the shackles will become worn if there is too much play in the suspension resulting in an enlargement of the holes. In most cases, the holes become elongated at which time the shackles need to be replaced.
I would look at replacing the existing worn shackles with thicker, "beefie" ones as those that are on our units now are, at best, "cheap" and very prone to early wear. I replaced mine this Spring --- not a pretty sight!
No sense putting in your bronze bushings in the holes if they are not snug and tight fitting.
(Not sure which shackles you were referring to ... your old ones or new Dexters??....... sounds like you replaced the whole works....)
Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
cnbhand

EZ Flex

These are new Dexter shackles and bushings. I am installing in a 2008 Cougar. Not sure why these bushings or holes are different from yours. How snug were your bushings?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
DTJ9610

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbhand View Post
These are new Dexter shackles and bushings. I am installing in a 2008 Cougar. Not sure why these bushings or holes are different from yours. How snug were your bushings?
Ha!!! That sounds like a personal question more appropriate for a PM... lol

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
cnbhand

EZ Flex

I found a posting on another site addressing same problem, bushings not real snug. This person contacted Dexter and was told it is not a problem. Well I am installing the other side today and hope for the best. I will pull these shackles next year to see if there is uneven wear. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Sorry, cnbhand, I mistakenly thought that you were inserting new, brass bushings into your old, worn shackles.
(Note to DTJ9610 .......... My bushings are very snug, thank you!)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbhand View Post
I found a posting on another site addressing same problem, bushings not real snug. This person contacted Dexter and was told it is not a problem. Well I am installing the other side today and hope for the best. I will pull these shackles next year to see if there is uneven wear. Thanks for the input.
I just installed this kit about a month ago and yes the bushings are going to be a little loose in the leaf spring eyes. Once you tighten everything up and fill the bushings with grease everything will be nice and snug. When I talked to Dexter, they said this is a common problem when installing this kit on non Dexter axles and leaf springs. We just returned from an extended weekend and had no issues with the new suspension. The trailer pulled a lot nicer and a lot smoother on the back roads. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
cnbhand

Finished up the install this PM and took it for a ride. All seems well. I will be traveling about 8K this year so will see how they hold up. By the way something to pass along to other Keystone owners. When installing the new EZ Flex I was amazed how wore the old bushings were and discovered 2 bushings that were never installed. These were not worn out they just were never installed. Owner beware!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
albertr

EZ Flex

Do you guys have a problem greasing the bushings/pins? I can't get grease into them. Thks...Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
Do you guys have a problem greasing the bushings/pins? I can't get grease into them. Thks...Al
I have only one that is very hard to grease. I did not line up the grease hole in the bolt properly on one spring end. The rest are fine.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
campingcpl

I haven't had any problems with greasing ours.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote