Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
sagebel

I have an onboard air system on my truck with enough hose to reach the trailer axles. I use a bottle jack and an impact gun. Changing a flat doesn't take long.

I think the biggest take away from this thread is to change one out in your driveway. That way you will know what tools you will need.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
racin500

Thumbs up thanks to all the truck drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Whatever you decide, do a "dry run" in the driveway to make sure you've got the tools to actually do the job, then put those tools in your RV. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the jack, spare tire, blocks and chocks out, only to find out your lug wrench isn't the right size......
Looking at old posts and ran across this one. JRTJH could not have put it better. Doing a DRY RUN will save you a bunch. Don't just see if your jack works, go ahead and see if you can loosen a lug nut too.

We blew out a tire on Jelico Mtn. (I-75) heading south at 2am with a 24' TT. Luckily, close to the rest area because (1) no level place to pull over. (2) No good place to change a tire at 2am since all the spots were full of semi's. Pulled along the curb, pulled out the jack and (3) found out it wouldn't fit under the axle with the trailer loaded! Thank goodness for a helping hand. Semi driver came over. Compressor in his truck, airbag lift and 1/2" air wrench. He even changed the tire for me. Wouldn't take a dime.
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #23
Jim & DJ

Changing a tire

Believe me. Good Sam Road Service is well worth the charge invloved.
It only takes one small mistake.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
bsmith0404

A gorilla wrench is a great tool. The handle extends to give you good leverage and it comes with flip sockets (I think there are 3) each side us a different size so you have enough sizes to change just about any tire on the road. I keep the wrench under the seat and the sockets in the center console. Now I just need to add my 12" extension so I can use it on my dually

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #25
Rickmuzick

I've never used a jack

I have never used a jack to change a trailer tire. Loosen the lug nuts, drive the unaffected side of the blow out onto blocks (leveling or wood) and one tire on the affected side.

This will raise the blown tire high enough off the ground for you to remove the lug nuts, replace the tire and hand tighten. Drive off the blocks and torque the lug nuts.

DO ALL OF THIS only if you can get to an exit. The shoulder is not wide enough for you to change a tire on the roadway, especially on the traffic side.
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #26
lspajm

I have a passport 3229bh and it has the spread axles. So the ramps do not work and using boards does not. So I bought a 3ton floor jack and carry that. I do have good Sam but many times camp and travel in areas with no cell service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #27
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmuzick View Post
I have never used a jack to change a trailer tire. Loosen the lug nuts, drive the unaffected side of the blow out onto blocks (leveling or wood) and one tire on the affected side.

This will raise the blown tire high enough off the ground for you to remove the lug nuts, replace the tire and hand tighten. Drive off the blocks and torque the lug nuts.

DO ALL OF THIS only if you can get to an exit. The shoulder is not wide enough for you to change a tire on the roadway, especially on the traffic side.
Agreed! This is how you do it nothing fancy needed.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
lspajm

This will not work with spread axles because the suspension is separate for each axle. So as u jack up one axle/wheel the one in front of it is still on the ground. I tried your method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote