Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
lablum

Need RV friendly map/driving direction site

We are heading to Frontier Town, MD early Sunday morning. I have tried to mapquest, google, AAA Trip Tik, etc. for driving directions and none give us the option to travel in an RV or travel trailer. We have a F250 and are pulling a Cougar 31SQB. All directions put us on parkways, through tunnels, etc. Are there any websites that focus on directions for RVs, tractor trailers, travel trailers, etc.?
Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you are a Good Sam member, they have a trip planning option in which you can specify which route you would like to take, road hazards, highway closures, hill/mtn passes and inclines, etc. After you have "plugged in" how much detail you want shown, just print it out.

There should also be some information about overpasses, tunnels, etc, from the Department of Highways for each state that you will be travelling through.

Some GPS's have features that also include this type of information.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
sagebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
If you are a Good Sam member, they have a trip planning option in which you can specify which route you would like to take, road hazards, highway closures, hill/mtn passes and inclines, etc. After you have "plugged in" how much detail you want shown, just print it out.

There should also be some information about overpasses, tunnels, etc, from the Department of Highways for each state that you will be travelling through.

Some GPS's have features that also include this type of information.
The Good Sam planner should work in the near term.

I am really happy with my Rand McNally RVND 7720 GPS. It is specific for RVs. You can enter your truck/trailer dimensions, amount of propane onboard and other information and it will route you around low over passes and tunnels that do not allow propane. Good Sam also has a GPS unit that is based off the Rand McNally.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
I am really happy with my Rand McNally RVND 7720 GPS. It is specific for RVs. You can enter your truck/trailer dimensions, amount of propane onboard and other information and it will route you around low over passes and tunnels that do not allow propane. Good Sam also has a GPS unit that is based off the Rand McNally.
Haven't used the GPS, but have seen it and researched it and it looks like something to seriously consider. The only reason I haven't yet is my truck has the built in GPS and I have trouble spending $ on another one.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Desert185

Do some research on both the Rand and the Garmin before you consider buying. According to what I have read from owners of both, one is much better than the other.

Wish someone would create a comparable RV iPad app.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
sptddog

Where are you coming from? Honestly, you'll get better directions, complete with stops just by posting on here We just drove to that area from PA - I can give you directions from that area, complete with diesel fuel and overpasses.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
lablum

Thank you all. We were coming from Long Island. We did find our way through GPS.