Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
racin500

First time diesel owner

I am going to pick up a used 2007 Chevy diesel with 115k miles on it. I'll be putting about 1000 miles on it before I get back home. I'm new to diesels and was wondering what I should be watching/listening for on my trip. Not pulling anything.

Model is a 2007 Chevy 3500 dually (LBZ Engine), 6.6 Allison/Allison auto/manual trans, crew cab, 4x4. What is a good range for;
Transmission temp?
Engine Temp?
Oil Pressure?

I'll be running expressway 100% of the time.
Just not sure what to expect.
Any other hints/tips would be appreciated. I'm heading out Thursday.
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
jje1960

Fuel add

Not sure what Chevy recommends, however getting a fuel additive to keep/get the injectors clean is a very simple yet action item that really seems to work for us on our Ford. I noticed a very slight hesitation when babying the throttle on ours this Spring, first tank with additive and like magic, immediately made difference and back to like new running. Just a thought.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Flintlock

If time permits and you don't know the history, it might be best to get a oil change, fuel filters also as a start. Generic diesel advice

+1 on a fuel additive - any Autozone/Advance/Wallymart get a Gal of Diesel Kleen or any other brand, a cheap measuring cup and funnel and add to your tank fills. You can read any Diesel forum and hear the war cries on which addititive is best.

Mark & Terry from South Eastern Indiana

2015 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 8' Dually 6.7 PS
2006 HD FHLRSI
2004 Honda GPScape Rancher
2015 326SRX, TrailAir Tri-Glide, B&W Companion
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
bsmith0404

things to listen for aren't much different than any other vehicle.

Oil pressure, around 20-30 at idle (once warmed up) and 60 driving.
Trans Temp, if you're not towing anything you will probably be between 140-160.
Engine Temp will be right at 210.

One thing I recommend when you have time, add a deep trans pan and larger rear diff cover. I have Mag HyTec, but there are several different brands out there. Another good idea for the Allison is to do a double change with Transynd. This is actually recommended on another forum by a retired Allison engineer who tested fluids in the tranny. A double change will get most of the old fluid out of the torque converter. Basically change the fluid, run about 100 miles and change again. Transynd is expensive and hard to find, but it is worth it. I did that with my last Dmax, trans temps are lower and the fluid looked new after 50k+ miles. Once you do it, the fluid is good for 150k miles. You will want to change the fuel filter every 10-20k miles, big range, but it's really up to you. Some prefer the low side, others the high side. Change your spin on trans filter every 20k miles. Make sure you transfer the small magnet from one filter to the next. I recommend you only use Allison spin on filters. You can order them on line for about $10. You can go to a GM dealer and pay $45 for an AC Delco filter. I've heard from more than one Allison specialty shop not to use anything other than those two brands for the spin on filter.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
DiverB

Congrats, the 07 LBZ engine is considered the holly grail of the dirtymax lineup since it doesn't have the emissions crap on it. I'd just say what the other guys are saying, oil change, fuel filters and if you are going to start towing heavy, monitor tranny & EGT temps.

Enjoy your new truck
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
Drew Waller

Diesel

Just change all your filters, engine oil, trans, fuel, and change your trans fluid and rear end oil. If you bought it from a dealer this maybe all done. I had a 2006 like yours and all I can say is drive it, it likes to go!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Forgot to mention, one thing I love about the Mag HyTec rear diff cover is that it has a dipstick for checking fluid levels. It's actually a treaded, magnetic rod so it works great and getting a feel for how much your gears are wearing as well as getting a good look at your fluid condition. It holds an extra quart of fluid along with cooling fins built into the cover so better heat dissipation.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #8
DiverB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Forgot to mention, one thing I love about the Mag HyTec rear diff cover is that it has a dipstick for checking fluid levels. It's actually a treaded, magnetic rod so it works great and getting a feel for how much your gears are wearing as well as getting a good look at your fluid condition. It holds an extra quart of fluid along with cooling fins built into the cover so better heat dissipation.
I agree, I actually have a temp probe in my Mag Hytecs to monitor my rear diff temperature. The best part of the Mag Hytec is the bottom drain plug, ZERO mess when changing diff oil
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Desert185

+1 on the Mag-Hytec covers. Been using them for years. Simplifies maintenance and they have practical features for the vehicle.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
racin500

thanks everyone

appreciate all the quick responses. will look into putting the Mag-Hytec on after i get everything checked out. the cover looks like a great upgrade.
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

First, you have one of the best years for the Duramax. Congrats.

Get an EGT guage. It is still easy to overheat the turbo pulling with these things.

I'm running Standyne fuel treatment as a test and it does seem to be running quieter then running Kleen-Flo (Cdn additive).

I plan to do the switch to transdyn next spring. Just as described above.

Have not gone to a deeper tranny pan or changed the rear diff but I'm only pulling about 8200 lbs.

Love my truck but would like yours better. Your injectors are not such a pain.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote