Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #21
bsmith0404

If the truck is new, 0 miles, and this is the first couple times you've driven it it's probably just paint or detail overspray burning off. Doesn't hurt to get it checked.

As for the fuel mileage mentioned earlier, play around with your speeds. One thing about diesels is speed really has an impact. If I run 65-70, I'll get 20+, 70-75 will drop me down to 17-19, once I jump up over 80 mine will drop off to 14-15. These are empty numbers. When I hook the RV behind I get 11-14 towing at 65-68. Don't tow any faster than that so I don't have numbers for the higher speeds.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #22
mguay

I think all the 14's and 15's came with 2 yrs of no charge service...Oil/Filters etc.

Check with your dealer.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #23
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Oh, one more thing. When towing up hill, don't have a heart attack when the fan kicks in, it will sound like the engine is about to blow up, this is perfectly normal and won't hurt a thing. Just enjoy the new toy.
^^^^^This.

The fan is real loud when it kicks in.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #24
concours

Yes follow the instructions as a retired GM service manager and technician I have seen too many rear differentials get noisy and fail because they were not broken in. I also change the diff oil at the first oil change then you are good to go for many miles
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #25
Rweb

Quote:
bsmith0404;132107]If the truck is new, 0 miles, and this is the first couple times you've driven it it's probably just paint or detail overspray burning off. Doesn't hurt to get it checked.
The truck is new. It has now just about 400 KMs on it. So I'm thinking it should have done it sooner. But I'm hoping that's all it is. I will run it over to the dealership this morning some time and see.

Quote:
As for the fuel mileage mentioned earlier, play around with your speeds. One thing about diesels is speed really has an impact. If I run 65-70, I'll get 20+, 70-75 will drop me down to 17-19, once I jump up over 80 mine will drop off to 14-15. These are empty numbers. When I hook the RV behind I get 11-14 towing at 65-68. Don't tow any faster than that so I don't have numbers for the higher speeds

Thanks for the info. I don't go above 65 towing the trailer anyway. Thanks everyone for all your replies.
Rweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #26
Rweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Yes follow the instructions as a retired GM service manager and technician I have seen too many rear differentials get noisy and fail because they were not broken in. I also change the diff oil at the first oil change then you are good to go for many miles
Thanks concours, will deffiently do that.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #27
AdkWoody

Cool

I have a 2010 DuraMax and absolutely love it! The burning smell could be the burner doing a regen. As far as maintenance I have all fluids changed to Rotella full synthetic. I change the engine oil, change the spin on Allison filter and clean MAF sensor every 12,000 miles. Tires are done twice a year (every 6 months) along with washing my K&N air filter. (Not a huge fan of that kind, but $65 for a paper one every time or $90 ONCE.. I can do math.) I have also installed a boost gauge, EGT gauge and an oil temp gauge. When towing I make sure trans temp is on the DIC as well. The more information I have about my truck and what it's doing, the better the chance I'll be able to see something is wrong before it gets really bad. It also allows me to push the envelope of the truck without doing damage.

Now, as far as additives go, everyone will tell you something different..... I use Diesel Kleen silver bottle in the summer and white in the winter (I live in upstate NY) with every single fillip. No matter which brand you choose, MAKE SURE IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR EMISSIONS SYSTEM!!!!!!! The main purpose of this product is to add lubrication and additives to the fuel that the ultra low sulfur diesel making process takes out, helping to prevent wall wash that could damage the engine over time. I also highly recommend joining Duramaxforum.... .com of corse. (I have the same user name there as I do here) They have a wealth of knowledge about these trucks and are on top of helping you deal with dealerships too if needed.

I love my truck. I'm sooooo glad I went for the chevy. Best transmission, a very reliable motor that is beginning to rival the Cummins for durability, and of corse, the gobs of raw power that is able to haul my 12k lbs of camper and gear up windy mountain roads without hesitation and an exhaust (engine) break that will keep the control and speed without the need for breaks coming back down the other side. Chevy is also better at altitude where the air is thinner. Bottom line, it's my 1 million mile truck. Relax my friend and enjoy your travels!

Mods to come....

Door stops for bathroom and bedroom doors.

12V receptacles in bedrooms, kitchen and entertainment center.

L.E.D. bulb replacement throughout.

Sewer hose holder (I don't like it in the bumper)
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #28
Rweb

Thanks again everyone for all the help! Turns out the burning smell was just a sticker on the exhaust system. Gm dealer says they don't know why they do that. Love the truck so far. We're heading out camping next week to the mountains. Getting rather excited. I will have to add some fuel additives of some kind I think, not too sure which kind is best or which I should get. I should do that soon too. If anyone has advice, I'm all ears. Again thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
GMcKenzie

I wait for the Kleen-Flo to go on sale at Princess and buy the big jug.

I pour some into an old Stabil bottle I have with the squeeze resevoir to measure out. Put in one resevoir full for a 1/2 tank. 2 if the tank is under 1/4.

Not sure if that part makes sense but I don't know how else to describe it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
LittleJoe

Talking

A word of caution to those using K&N filters in a diesel application.

IF you do oil analysis you will see that the silicone (sand) percentage will be higher in contamination level than stock OEM filter.

Cummins actually has a technical service bulletin stating that engine warranty is void if using a K&N filter as it will cause "dusting " of and engines cylinders.
This is very fine wear caused by excessive micron size dirt that will leave cylinders polished and causing too much blowby.

I have personally seen the results and depending on your driving conditions it may take a long time but you are ingesting more dirt to your engine than OEM design.

I run a OEM air filter according to the filter minder and changing at about 75% of max allowable restriction I still routinely get 40-50K MILES on a filter.
A OEM filter is not restrictive to the max Hp your engine is designed for .

"rant off"
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #31
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
ilter.
In fact, the OEM filters will handle a fair bit more HP than stock. Probably more than the tranny will handle.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #32
RaptyJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
A word of caution to those using K&N filters in a diesel application.

IF you do oil analysis you will see that the silicone (sand) percentage will be higher in contamination level than stock OEM filter.

Cummins actually has a technical service bulletin stating that engine warranty is void if using a K&N filter as it will cause "dusting " of and engines cylinders.
This is very fine wear caused by excessive micron size dirt that will leave cylinders polished and causing too much blowby.

I have personally seen the results and depending on your driving conditions it may take a long time but you are ingesting more dirt to your engine than OEM design.

I run a OEM air filter according to the filter minder and changing at about 75% of max allowable restriction I still routinely get 40-50K MILES on a filter.

"rant off"
The K&N's are also oiled filters, so that can get sucked into the motor and cause some problems.

I just bought my first diesel (F250) as well and love it so far. My dad's suggestions to me were to always fuel up where they go through a lot of diesel (because it can go bad fast) and to change the fuel filter every oil change. Seems extreme but he owns plenty of diesel trucks for his business and if you run into problems with your fuel injectors the dealership will try to blame it on bad fuel to try and get out of doing the work under warranty. Bad fuel injectors = big problems. Also the bad smell could be related to the exhaust system being cleaned.

Enjoy!
RaptyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #33
b.d.m

The best advice anyone ever gave me about owning a diesel truck.
1) only use diesel rated oil. Don't let just anyone do the oil change.
2) change the fuel filter often.

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #34
Rweb

Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update. Just got back home from our trip. Really impressed with the truck. Pull really good. Had no hiccups on any of the mountains. Sure wished I would have gotten a diesel before this.. Makes it so much less of a stressful drive.

Do have one question though. How long should the DEF last? I made it out to Kelowna about 900 KMs maybe abut more. and I had it add more.. Someone told me it should last 8000 KMs. Can't see it lasting that long. Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 AM   #35
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweb View Post
Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update. Just got back home from our trip. Really impressed with the truck. Pull really good. Had no hiccups on any of the mountains. Sure wished I would have gotten a diesel before this.. Makes it so much less of a stressful drive.

Do have one question though. How long should the DEF last? I made it out to Kelowna about 900 KMs maybe abut more. and I had it add more.. Someone told me it should last 8000 KMs. Can't see it lasting that long. Any advice?

Thanks.
Glad everything is good!

There aren't many dealers that fill the DEF when you purchase the truck. Mine went empty around 800 miles the first time and now goes around 5000 miles. When towing you will use more DEF. As MPG goes down, DEF consumption goes up. On a 4000 mi round trip to FL in March I used about 7 gal.