Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #21
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
It's just the way the world is today. Started driving OTR in 1979. We were considered the 'knights of the road'. Heck they wrote songs about us! But society has lost much of its civility. Not long ago, I held the door for a "lady" at the market. She told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't need ANY Man to hold the door! But, I digress. Courtesy on the highways seems to have suffered as well. I always appreciated when an RV would give me the lights when I passed driving my truck. Even though sometimes they would do so before it was safe, or they would flash their brights in my mirrors instead of blinking their lights off momentarily. Today, as we travel, I try to remember how it was when I still drove truck. I give them the space they need and respect that they need to run at a hill and even though I'll pass them on the upside, I'll be in their way on the downside. JMHO - FWIW
I think I may know this gal. She is the same one who said to me "Don't tell me what kind of day to have" after I had wished her a pleasant day. SHEESH!
Civility is indeed dying quickly as our "civil" society spins ever more quickly into the abyss of anarchy.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
ROLIN JOSEPH

This might do it

Instead of a speed limit, have a mandatory exact speed, or posted speed. (see my illustration)

Tolerance levels for issuing citations should be reduced to near zero.
Now the difficult one: Get everybody to focus, be courteous, and take driving seriously.

Just choose your speed, and get in that lane!
Horizontal flashing traffic lights on signs would warn of any adverse conditions or situations.
Speed indicators could be changed electronically from the control center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keep it moving.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5602  

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
airforceret

I come from a long line of drivers and drove part-time years ago. I still have family that drives OTR. You are probably not aware of the sensor technology in the new trucks. In my brothers rig it knows the difference between veering off to the right (which sounds an alarm) and lane changing to the left (and back). When vehicles pass and lane change in front of him too closely, it will set off an alarm, and if extremely close, will automatically force the accelerator to slowdown (similar to how antilock brakes force the pedal). So if you lane change too soon, it would in reality force his rig to slowdown whether he likes it or not, and actually sounds an alarm (which is annoying to say the least).

And to further this, if it happens too often within a given period, he will get a phone call from dispatch inquiring if there is a problem.

So next time you want to lane change, the old rule of distance is no longer negotiable... it's predetermined by a computer intelligence and sensors!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote