Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
Michael_E

Cougar GFI circuit breaker controls what?

120V outlets next to microwave are on, most of the rest are not. gfi in bathroom reset and that outlet is on. What does the GFlI labeled circuit breaker in the panel run. It is not a gfi circuit breaker so what does it protect?
Thank you in advance.
Michael E. in Colorado
Michael_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Some more information qould be helpful. Most folks add the year and model number of their trailer and truck in the signature so that question doesn't get constantly asked. Just go up to the upper left side of the page in the black band and click on "UserCP", then edit. Don't forget to save it.

As to your question I would think thye breaker labeled "GFI" would feed the GFI outlet in the bathroom. As to the "rest of the outlets are not" working a few more questions. What's the age of your camper? Is this a recent issue, or did you just purchase the camper and just found this out? Are the non working outlets in a slide out? Are you connected to shore power? 30 Amp or 50 amp or using an adapter and plugged into a 15 amp outlet?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
Michael_E

GFI breaker does protect the gfi outlet/breaker in the bathroom, dopey!
2012 Couger 26SAB 29foot 5er, just bought. powered by 30A shore power cord into a 30A extension cord to a 30to20A plug into 20A outlet. All outlets were working until we under voltaged everything runnung the inverter, a 400W120v heated water hose and the coffee maker. No breakers tripped just most of the non gfi outlets failed. The outlets right next to the microwave still operate.
We are living on the Plains of Northern Colorado with our 4 horses and it cold and snowy and we can't wait to be %100 functional again.
Thank you!
Michael and Mery E.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You can't be "100% functional" plugged into a 15/20A plug and can run very few items that pull much current. If you are running any kind of space heaters with that heated hose you are probably depleting your available power significantly. If you are going to be staying on this property long term I would do whatever is required to get a 30A RV plug installed.....close enough to eliminate those extension cords.

If this all happened after you overloaded the AC system, trouble shooting isn't that difficult if you have a VOM and know how to use it. Sounds to me like you may have another GFI outlet that isn't working and you've lost power to a string of outlets. How is the outlet by your sink, or the one outside, protected?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
Michael_E

Solved!

Hello My new friends, the problem with the dead outlets is solved. I removed the inverter/breaker panel and found the previous owners had split the outlet and inverter wires and added a new breaker for one. The re-connection of the outlets was a wire nut and black electrical tape. Vibrated loose on the way here! I assumed the wiring was stock, NEVER ASSUME anything!

Thank you all for your help and support!

Best regards,
Michael and Mary E.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Not trying to be pickys here but I think you are calling the CONVERTER an INVERTER. Two different devices. The converter takes the 120 vac and converts it ti 12 vdc. and wil have a battery charger buily into it. A inverter will take a 12 vdc source from the batteries or solar panels and change it to 120 v ac.

A lot of folks around the forum have inverters that either they have installed or the factory installed when they build in a residential fridge. If you misuse the terms it can make diagnosing an issue like yours very difficult.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar