Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2021, 04:32 AM   #1
SergioCC

Gas water heater to electric

Hi! Newbie here! I want to convert the gas water heater on my trailer (Hideout 272BH 2020) to electric. Bought the Camco Hybrid Heat Kit. Few questions though:
1. Where is the water tank located?
2. How to access it?

Other than than a vented panel underneath the stove, I can’t locate any other access to the area near the heater.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Thanks
SergioCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:47 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Go outside and look for a square cover with a grill on it. Either white or black. That will be the water heater. I’m willing to bet it already has both LP and electric capabilities. Look at the lower left corner for a switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:49 AM   #3
Javi

Stand facing the front door... look to the left... see that square door with the vent in it... Water Heater...
Old 04-16-2021, 04:57 AM   #4
SergioCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Go outside and look for a square cover with a grill on it. Either white or black. That will be the water heater. I’m willing to bet it already has both LP and electric capabilities. Look at the lower left corner for a switch.
Hahaha! What I meant was the water tank. 😂
Did check Mine and it doesn’t have the electric only the LP.
According to the Camco instructions, the thermostat has to be placed on the water tank
Old 04-16-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I have an older camper and didn't know my water heater already had an AC power switch. I bought something similar to what you have. It replaces the anode which is there to draw minerals in the water away from the steel sides of the water tank so the tank doesn't rust. Anyway, I found there is an electric switch on the outside of my camper on the water heater already. It up behind the burner tube a bit and is a black rocker switch. Mine was burnt as someone had forgotten to turn it off and drained the hot water tank. Open up your outside water heater access and look on the bottom left under the burner tube for a rocker switch. Another indication you already have electric hot water heating is to open your converter pane and there will be a separate circuit breaker (not a fuse) for the water heater. Also, when you remove the anode and use this heating tube Camco provides your water heater isn't protected from the minerals which will ruin it quickly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCC View Post
Hahaha! What I meant was the water tank. 😂
Did check Mine and it doesn’t have the electric only the LP.
According to the Camco instructions, the thermostat has to be placed on the water tank
Once you locate the water heater, go inside and look for a panel held in by small screws, or a drawer you take out. The tank is underneath that styrofoam, with the two water lines.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:17 AM   #7
SergioCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have an older camper and didn't know my water heater already had an AC power switch. I bought something similar to what you have. It replaces the anode which is there to draw minerals in the water away from the steel sides of the water tank so the tank doesn't rust. Anyway, I found there is an electric switch on the outside of my camper on the water heater already. It up behind the burner tube a bit and is a black rocker switch. Mine was burnt as someone had forgotten to turn it off and drained the hot water tank. Open up your outside water heater access and look on the bottom left under the burner tube for a rocker switch. Another indication you already have electric hot water heating is to open your converter pane and there will be a separate circuit breaker (not a fuse) for the water heater. Also, when you remove the anode and use this heating tube Camco provides your water heater isn't protected from the minerals which will ruin it quickly.
Thanks for the info! Will re-check to see if I overlooked it
Old 04-16-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Sergio,

Your water heater is listed on the Keystone website as having a "6 gallon GAS water heater"... The features/options for your trailer do not include an "ELECTRIC" feature.

So, chances are very good (almost guaranteed) that your trailer does not currently have an electric water heating capability and it "may not be possible to add one".....

If your water heater is an ATWOOD water heater, it will have an aluminum tank and there is no anode rod required. If your water heater is a SUBURBAN water heater, it has a porcelainized steel tank and requires anode protection to prevent the tank from corrosion.

The "Mr. Hott" or "Hott Rod" offered by CAMCO can convert your ATWOOD water heater, but can not be used in a SUBURBAN water heater.....

So, first, you'll need to determine if your water heater brand, which will tell you whether the rod you bought can be installed......

Open that 18" square door with the grill in the upper right corner. That will give you access to the water heater controls. In the lower center of the water heater controls, you'll see the gas burner and the burner tube. Just below that you'll see a large "nut". That is the water heater drain. If that nut is plastic, you have an ATWOOD water heater and can install the electric element in place of the plastic plug.

On the other hand, if that nut is metal, then you have a SUBURBAN water heater and the anode rod is welded to that nut. On this type water heater, you can not install the electric element because you'll "lose anode protection for the tank" and will damage/destroy your water heater.

So, the "answer to where the water heater inside access is located" may not be as important as you think, depending on what brand water heater is in your Hideout. If it's a SUBURBAN water heater, you might as well not open the "Mr Hott" or "Hott Rod" package.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:07 AM   #9
SergioCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sergio,

Your water heater is listed on the Keystone website as having a "6 gallon GAS water heater"... The features/options for your trailer do not include an "ELECTRIC" feature.

So, chances are very good (almost guaranteed) that your trailer does not currently have an electric water heating capability and it "may not be possible to add one".....

If your water heater is an ATWOOD water heater, it will have an aluminum tank and there is no anode rod required. If your water heater is a SUBURBAN water heater, it has a porcelainized steel tank and requires anode protection to prevent the tank from corrosion.

The "Mr. Hott" or "Hott Rod" offered by CAMCO can convert your ATWOOD water heater, but can not be used in a SUBURBAN water heater.....

So, first, you'll need to determine if your water heater brand, which will tell you whether the rod you bought can be installed......

Open that 18" square door with the grill in the upper right corner. That will give you access to the water heater controls. In the lower center of the water heater controls, you'll see the gas burner and the burner tube. Just below that you'll see a large "nut". That is the water heater drain. If that nut is plastic, you have an ATWOOD water heater and can install the electric element in place of the plastic plug.

On the other hand, if that nut is metal, then you have a SUBURBAN water heater and the anode rod is welded to that nut. On this type water heater, you can not install the electric element because you'll "lose anode protection for the tank" and will damage/destroy your water heater.

So, the "answer to where the water heater inside access is located" may not be as important as you think, depending on what brand water heater is in your Hideout. If it's a SUBURBAN water heater, you might as well not open the "Mr Hott" or "Hott Rod" package.
It’s a SUBURBAN. Thanks for the reply and information. Seems I’ll have to stick to LP or cough up the $1k to upgrade the water heater.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Sergio, the gas/electric Suburban ishttps://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Mfg-5240A-Sw6Del-Elec/dp/B01N21JVZS/ref=pd_sbs_3?pd_rd_w=UF8tO&pf_rd_p=651d64d1-3c73-45b6-ae09-e545600e3a22&pf_rd_r=3E9HSEXVP45H6TGSVN75&pd_rd_r= 27ed8bd1-b84d-4e9e-b48c-8ea710597f48&pd_rd_wg=sGuyn&pd_rd_i=B01N21JVZS&psc =1 a lot less than $1K.

Your main issue will be running the 110V wiring to your converter. If you don't know how to safely connect the propane then you may want to hire a tech to install.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCC View Post
It’s a SUBURBAN. Thanks for the reply and information. Seems I’ll have to stick to LP or cough up the $1k to upgrade the water heater.
I'm guessing the $1K you quoted was an install by the dealer. For the relatively low amount of LP usage by a water heater that $1K will buy a LOT of propane. Biggest downside of not having the electric side is not having the quicker recovery available by running the heater both on gas and electric at the same time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the updated link to the water heater George posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Mfg-...1JVZS&psc%20=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
SergioCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sergio, the gas/electric Suburban ishttps://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Mfg-5240A-Sw6Del-Elec/dp/B01N21JVZS/ref=pd_sbs_3?pd_rd_w=UF8tO&pf_rd_p=651d64d1-3c73-45b6-ae09-e545600e3a22&pf_rd_r=3E9HSEXVP45H6TGSVN75&pd_rd_r= 27ed8bd1-b84d-4e9e-b48c-8ea710597f48&pd_rd_wg=sGuyn&pd_rd_i=B01N21JVZS&psc =1 a lot less than $1K.

Your main issue will be running the 110V wiring to your converter. If you don't know how to safely connect the propane then you may want to hire a tech to install.
Awesome! Thanks for that! Would definitely look into having a professional do the install.

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater