Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2021, 06:29 AM   #21
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would power it with the clearance light but I tow with my lights on all the time anyway. My theory is the more I can do to increase being visible the better. You may want to consider a wireless endoscope. I have one similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-En...458010&sr=8-16 that I have found invaluable to have in my tool box. With sever neck injuries I can use this to look in places that would otherwise be very difficult to visualize to say nothing of using it to look in walls, over the chloroplast and into the underbelly, etc.
That's pretty cool. I just ordered one, even if it won't help me with this issue it will be handy to have around. I am gonna see if I can somehow fish a wire from the clearance light hole to the shark fin hole the holes are small though. I don't want to have an exposed wire between the two mostly for appearance.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:57 AM   #22
Monty0814

Newbie here. When I picked up my rig a month ago, I couldn’t get my Furrion cameras to work. I had to turn my headlights knob from auto to parking lights and camera worked.

Ken
2021 Montana 3855BR
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 6.7 4.10 DRW
Monty0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:23 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty0814 View Post
Newbie here. When I picked up my rig a month ago, I couldn’t get my Furrion cameras to work. I had to turn my headlights knob from auto to parking lights and camera worked.
The camera is powered by the center clearence light on the back of the trailer. That get's power from the 7way umbilical cord from the truck. The clearence lights are therefore powered when the truck's clearence (parking lights/tail lights) are on. When your headlight switch is in "auto" mode they come on automatically when it get's dark outside. During the daylight they do not come on, hence the "auto" part. So inorder for the camera to work in the daytime you must have the parlking lights on manually.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #24
Monty0814

Thanks flybouy... that makes sense now. Embarrassed to say when we got RV, i went across the street to empty lot to practice as this is all a first for me. Spent the first hour trying to figure out camera before driving back across to dealership. Took him 3 seconds to say put on parking lights.... felt like a dummy! �� so I haven’t driven at night so that makes sense that auto would than enable the camer.

Ken
2021 Montana 3855BR
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 6.7 4.10 DRW
Monty0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #25
Joedittmar

Check the polarity on your camera plug and make sure it's not wired wrong. I had a trailer a few years back that I couldn't get the camera to work and that was the problem.
Joedittmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty0814 View Post
Thanks flybouy... that makes sense now. Embarrassed to say when we got RV, i went across the street to empty lot to practice as this is all a first for me. Spent the first hour trying to figure out camera before driving back across to dealership. Took him 3 seconds to say put on parking lights.... felt like a dummy! �� so I haven’t driven at night so that makes sense that auto would than enable the camer.
No shame in not knowing. I think most of us have been there, the rest just don't want to admit it.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:59 AM   #27
RickV

So after trying unsuccessfully to make the the factory connection work I ran a new connection from the center clearance light out the hole under the shark fin. I turned on the lights and it worked. I have to run an antenna extension cable that is about 10' on the roof of the 5ver to get enough signal to the monitor that is what the black wire is. Thanks to everyone who contributed. We are taking it out for it's first trip a 3 nighter and I'll adjust the camera angle once there is something besides trees behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210404_2834.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	32806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210404_30228.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	32807  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 02:23 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Glad to hear you're "up anmd running"! As for aiming, if you can get a sliver of the rear bumper in the camera view it may save you a bump or two.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #29
RickV

Quote:
Glad to hear you're "up anmd running"! As for aiming, if you can get a sliver of the rear bumper in the camera view it may save you a bump or two.
No bumper on it believe it or not just a receiver. One of the main reasons I wanted the camera was we travel 5 months a year (when it starts getting hot in North Florida we are gone) and the Wife will give me an hour break from driving once in a while on a long stretch of interstate. She gets nervous when passing other vehicles because she can't judge very well when to get back over so I figure the camera may help. I will use it for backing into sites too but, more so for her.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
No bumper on it believe it or not just a receiver. One of the main reasons I wanted the camera was we travel 5 months a year (when it starts getting hot in North Florida we are gone) and the Wife will give me an hour break from driving once in a while on a long stretch of interstate. She gets nervous when passing other vehicles because she can't judge very well when to get back over so I figure the camera may help. I will use it for backing into sites too but, more so for her.
I glance at my monitor when I do do my normal instrument/mirror scans. I like to know what's behind me at all times and especially if an emergency vehichle is closing in with the lights on.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:36 AM   #31
RickV

Quote:
I glance at my monitor when I do do my normal instrument/mirror scans. I like to know what's behind me at all times and especially if an emergency vehichle is closing in with the lights on.
Never had one before will take some getting used to including it in my scans. I know it works stationary wifi signal is 3 bars but, have read that sometime they don't work good at speed.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 04:46 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

I tried a wireless many years ago and had trouble with interference so I ended up with a wired unit. The one I had would work fine in the driveway but would show a camera on a storage lot or whatever I happened to pass. I know they have made many strides in the technology since then. With the antenna on the roof it have to help I'd think. Give it a try, it doesn't cost anything to try it right?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #33
markhuntsville

Defective crimp...

I too could not get my camera to work... no power...

Pulled the wiring out and for quick look, seemed fine. Tried everything, jumpers in the 7-way, fuse checks, load empty fuses, nothing...

I gave up and cut out the factory crimps and re-did them, shazaam! Working!

Looking closely at the crimp, on the positive crimp, the tech had shoved the camera-end lead so far up into the crimp that the insulation interfered with the crimp... you can see the red insulation extends all the way past the crimp 'zone' in the photo below.

One thing on our camper I'm not happy about is the camera is always on... eventually, I'll change this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraWiringDefectiveCrimp.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	32886  
2017 High Country
markhuntsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #34
RickV

Quote:
I tried a wireless many years ago and had trouble with interference so I ended up with a wired unit. The one I had would work fine in the driveway but would show a camera on a storage lot or whatever I happened to pass. I know they have made many strides in the technology since then. With the antenna on the roof it have to help I'd think. Give it a try, it doesn't cost anything to try it right?
We left on a short trip yesterday the camera kinda worked, the images were choppy and were delayed like 3 or 4 seconds.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #35
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhuntsville View Post
I too could not get my camera to work... no power...

Pulled the wiring out and for quick look, seemed fine. Tried everything, jumpers in the 7-way, fuse checks, load empty fuses, nothing...

I gave up and cut out the factory crimps and re-did them, shazaam! Working!

Looking closely at the crimp, on the positive crimp, the tech had shoved the camera-end lead so far up into the crimp that the insulation interfered with the crimp... you can see the red insulation extends all the way past the crimp 'zone' in the photo below.

One thing on our camper I'm not happy about is the camera is always on... eventually, I'll change this.
I tried to yank those same type connectors out but, they didn't want to come out so I just cut the wires and added a new cable run.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #36
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I picked up my New Alpine 3790FK on Wednesday afternoon. Spent yesterday and part of today loading stuff in it. I had some time this afternoon so I decided I would hook up my "Non"_Furrion Backup Camera. I hooked it up turned on the monitor and had nothing. I had the running lights on put it reverse still nothing. If I hooked the camera directly to a 12 volt power source it worked fine. Is there some kinda power switch or something to activate power to the rear mount? I did notice that when in reverse there were no backup lights lit on the 5ver I know my 2014 Crusader had working backup lights could it be that the reverse wiring is messed up?
Sometime the headlight has to be in the on position and not the auto position to energize the lights lead going to the trailer.
When your trailer lights are on usually the camera will be on.
My camera power lead is hot when the trailer lights are on.
Some can be wired into the trailer backup lights and camera only powered when the tow vehicle is put in reverse.

I prefer having rear camera always available to see those tailgaters as well as viewing a vehicle I just passed.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote