Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #21
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Hideout!

Best advise I can give you... take your time ... and go slow. It's never about "speed" when towing a trailer (or camping). Instead, it IS all about safety, arriving safely, having fun once you are there, and returning home safe. Everything is secondary to that. Never get in a hurry. Enjoy the journey as well as the destination, and you'll be just fine!

Again! Congrats on that new camper.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #22
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Thanks

Thanks Dutchman! Will do.

Got a quote for returning to stock height, not as bad as I thought. They also suggested airbags. And I could sell some of the parts for something. Guess I’ll have to look for a huntin/wheelin rig when we get to Wyoming.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #23
notanlines

Heavy Chevy, by now you've been around enough forums to know that this isn't 'piling on.' Those who think it is have never hung on a truck forum. No mercy. Best thing you said is that both were paid for. Shows good sense. I also think that if you remove the lift and go back to LT tires that would be a good start.
We do not want to drive you towards your friendly Chevy dealer and have you belly up to the finance desk.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #24
gearhead

Give it a try and get back to us. Hell it might work.
Good choice in dogs. Throw in a cur for more fun.
My sons cur ate a coral snake a couple days ago. No apparent side effects.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Give it a try and get back to us. Hell it might work.
Good choice in dogs. Throw in a cur for more fun.
My sons cur ate a coral snake a couple days ago. No apparent side effects.

A couple years ago our alpha dog who was part German Shepherd and part eskimo dog loved to kill coral snakes. He would trot up and would drop a deal coral snake at my feet and I would hang them on our fence. Unfortunately he tangled with a very large rattler which we seldom saw unless there was a drought and it hit his nose/face 3 times. He lived but was a shadow of his former self; we now get the dogs anti-venom shots (for rattlers). BTW: Saw mountain lion tracks earlier this month on our property.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:36 AM   #26
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
A couple years ago our alpha dog who was part German Shepherd and part eskimo dog loved to kill coral snakes. He would trot up and would drop a deal coral snake at my feet and I would hang them on our fence. Unfortunately he tangled with a very large rattler which we seldom saw unless there was a drought and it hit his nose/face 3 times. He lived but was a shadow of his former self; we now get the dogs anti-venom shots (for rattlers). BTW: Saw mountain lion tracks earlier this month on our property.
Yep, both my Jips have their rattlesnake booster every year. Although I caught em playing tug o war with a foot long rattler in the backyard a few years ago.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:00 AM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Yep, both my Jips have their rattlesnake booster every year. Although I caught em playing tug o war with a foot long rattler in the backyard a few years ago.
I never realized how big rattlesnakes can get...I was at crooked River state park in GA...they have a nature center with stuffed animals...have a rattlesnake that looked like it was 5” in diameter in the middle and it was a coiled display but looked like it could be 5-6’ long... I wouldn’t want to meet that out in a field somewhere..pretty intimidating for someone that can’t stand snakes
Old 03-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I never realized how big rattlesnakes can get...I was at crooked River state park in GA...they have a nature center with stuffed animals...have a rattlesnake that looked like it was 5” in diameter in the middle and it was a coiled display but looked like it could be 5-6’ long... I wouldn’t want to meet that out in a filed somewhere..pretty intimidating for someone that can’t stand snakes
Some buddies...about 20 miles from my house.. I used to do this but after the stroke I just watch https://youtu.be/H6yAMBmEdZM
Old 03-24-2021, 05:22 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Some buddies...about 20 miles from my house.. I used to do this but after the stroke I just watch https://youtu.be/H6yAMBmEdZM
that’s terrifying to me...
Old 03-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Noooooooo thankyou!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Looks to me like they were trying to select the next "one(s)" for the deep fryer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That concrete floor must've been cold, they weren't very alert! BUUUTTTT I still wouldn't get in there with them even if they were half frozen..........
The Big Texan Steakhouse has or used to have a skin that was like 12" across & 9' long or something of equally ridiculous length for a rattlesnake.
Talk about a turn in a post! This went from big block Chevy to big a## snakes in 2 pages.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That concrete floor must've been cold, they weren't very alert! BUUUTTTT I still get in there with them even if they were half frozen..........
The Big Texan Steakhouse has or used to have a skin that was like 12" across & 9' long or something of equally ridiculous length for a rattlesnake.
Talk about a turn in a post! This went from big block Chevy to big a## snakes in 2 pages.
I've always thought that they each have their own personalities much like humans.. some strike at the least provocation and others you can jack around with and they just lay there..
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

I give snakes (esp. poisonous ones) due respect and space. I had a copperhead strick at me many years ago. He was about 3 1/2 ' long and he jumped at me from about 5" away and his head hit the toe of my boot. That's just not on my list of animals tyat I want to interact with.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I give snakes (esp. poisonous ones) due respect and space. I had a copperhead strick at me many years ago. He was about 3 1/2 ' long and he jumped at me from about 5" away and his head hit the toe of my boot. That's just not on my list of animals tyat I want to interact with.
Had about a 2' rattler hit the pull strap on my boot top, another inch higher & I'd of been got while out in the middle of nowhere walking pipeline. Thank goodness for someone watching over me!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #36
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Test run

Brought it home tonight. 15 mile trip, outside temp was 78, speed limit was 65 (I did 60). Trans temp got up to about 180, pretty normal. Recurve R3 Hitch did great. Curt echo BT controller and trailer brakes did awesome. There was bad weather rolling in with a nasty crosswind and I never felt it. Here’s where I did feel it:

Real bad bucking. Even with the farthest hitch drop, the trailer was still higher in front and my truck hardly dropped. I thought it would sag more but it didn’t. Did not like the seesaw/push/pull feel at all. Power is still fine, but I do need better mirrors.

So, if I drop it to stock height with 265s and airbags, I’m guessing I’ll get rid of the bucking and maybe even gain more power?
Old 03-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

You will gain HP and better towing characteristics. With that trailer and that lift in a nasty crosswind you will most definitely feel it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:49 AM   #38
Cyberian

The only input I have on the 8.1 is to look out for erroneous engine temperature faults.

We had a company van with an 8.1 shoehorned into the little doghouse that I called "The Pig". I hated that rig. Loads of power when it decided to run, an uncanny knack for stranding me in the most desolate places when it decided it was running too hot and would shut off the fuel. Multiple trips to the dealer and it never got fixed.

I was on vacation when my stand-in filled it with #2 diesel (I have no idea how) and manged to crack the block. The brand new long block was worse with the false overheat shutdowns so we finally got rid of it.

Now I stick to Mopars with AAW rear ends dropping pins and causing drivetrain backlashes destroying transmissions *and* transfer cases in the process and serpentine belt idler bearings letting go @ 80MPH but at least I tow in in something that's pretty obvious for the mechanics to fix
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #39
skmct

Quote:
We call them cougars down here in the swamp no mountains in sight.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #40
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Agree the DQ is the Texas stop sign, but you've never heard of/seen an A&W drive-in in Texas? YUM! How I remember a corn dog & a root beer at the A&W!!! Boy that really is some backwoods place you live in!
Hey Javi! You don't think it's because we're old do you?

But Heavy Chevy I'd have to agree with others on the towability of your truck as it's set up. Personally I'd really like to have it or one just like it, but not for towing. It would most likely be about 6-8 mpg max towing regardless of all the go fast goodies you've added, but would still beat the 3rd place Ford V10 not towing.
I’m with you, many a root beer float at the A&W, and great burgers. Not as many here in Texas as there used to be but YUM! Roller-skates, and daisy dukes on the cute waitresses. Those days are gone, but found one up north while on a trip in Michigan. Memories😎!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote