Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
Either way you decide, I fully recommend the investment of a ProPride hitch. Worth its weight in gold !
With the weight considerations the OP has with his current truck, the "luxury" of a $2500/200 pound "sway eliminator hitch" is simply not a good investment. If he had the extra payload, it might help work to his advantage, but with limited payload capacity, the extra 100 pounds of weight (over a conventional 4 point sway control hitch) would detract from the ProPride's advantages....

It's sort of like, if you don't know how to tie shoelaces, buying the best "lace-up shoes" on the market won't allow you to use them to their full advantage.

On the other hand, if the OP buys a HD truck to tow a trailer that size, the ProPride hitch would not "shine" to its full capacity as the truck would not be as prone to sway as his current vehicle....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
Feeding Frenzy

Mikelff
When you went to the LT tires, load range E, was that an upgrade in load range from OEM tires? If so, that may also help with any sway as the tires will have stiffer sidewalls and support more weight. If you want to know the real world numbers for your current truck, take it to the CAT scales and weigh it full of fuel. Then you can figure the rest of the numbers for the truck and know real weights as it sits. As others have said you should be ok.

Yes, I upgraded the tires to the Load Range E after I purchased it. I also went from 18" to 20" wheels when I did so.
Additionally, I just returned from the scales. With me, a full (36 gallon) tank of gas and some random items I threw in there just to add some weight (about 50 lbs), she weighed the following:
Total: 6,220 lbs
Front axle: 3320
Rear Axle: 2900
Feeding Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Your truck scaled 6220lbs with only you, a full tank of fuel and a few random items (50lbs.). Your gvw for the truck is 7050. That leaves only 830lbs. for TT tongue weight, family and the other required gear. You will need to be looking at something fairly small to work within that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #24
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeding Frenzy View Post
Bill, I went from 275/65r18 to LT275/65R20
Never ever increase the tire diameter on a tow vehicle. You not only do you loose towing performance, but you loose braking performance as well.
Think of the wheel as a lever. The longer the lever, the greater force it can put onto the axle.
This is why you see so many 3/4 ton 4X4s with pudgy off road tires that are wider but no bigger in diameter than stock tires.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Never ever increase the tire diameter on a tow vehicle. You not only do you loose towing performance, but you loose braking performance as well.
Think of the wheel as a lever. The longer the lever, the greater force it can put onto the axle.
This is why you see so many 3/4 ton 4X4s with pudgy off road tires that are wider but no bigger in diameter than stock tires.
I agree you'll possibly lose a small amount towing performance due the diameter that will affect the gear ratios, but affecting the mpg more so.
As to affecting braking I'd have to disagree, the lever scenario doesn't make sense to me, I've increased tire diameters a couple sizes on different vehicles & never noticed any difference in braking.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I agree you'll possibly lose a small amount towing performance due the diameter that will affect the gear ratios, but affecting the mpg more so.
As to affecting braking I'd have to disagree, the lever scenario doesn't make sense to me, I've increased tire diameters a couple sizes on different vehicles & never noticed any difference in braking.
Oh it was affected. That’s just simple physics.
You've been quite vocal about tow ratings. I hope you've been just as attentive to how tire diameter changes affect towing and stopping.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #27
Feeding Frenzy

Well, after much research, along with the wisdom imparted by this Forum (and my friends Paulie and Jeff), it became clear (rather quickly) that my TV would be "Borderline" at best. I really love my truck. I purchased it new and rigged it for my other hobby of Surf Fishing in the Northeast, where I drive on the sand beaches.
Back when I outfitted my truck, I never imagined I would be getting into the R/V world and towing. As a result, my truck was rigged for four wheeling and driving on soft sand (hence the mods I made).
The wife and I also realized that the 22 - 25 ft TT would QUICKLY become too small and therefore "Settling" for a smaller TT with a borderline TV was simply not a smart move (especially financially). As a result, we began the journey of purchasing a new TV. Today, she came home.
Here she is (along with some specs):

2021 F250 (brand new) XLT / FX4 package
7.3L Gas Engine
10 Speed Xmission
4.30 Electronic Locking Axle
5th wheel rigging package (not going that big, yet)

It appears the market favors either Ford and Ram for TV's. I've owned a LOT of Fords and they've been good to me and I feel I got a fair deal on this truck today with my trade. I got a really good trade in value!! Please do not crucify me. It's what fits us best.

Now, we need some insight on a TT that fits us best. Perhaps I should start another thread in the appropriate forum topic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	32730   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	32731   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 6.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	32732   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	32733  
Old 03-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #28
Feeding Frenzy

For some reason, this pic did not load.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	truck 7.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	32734  
Old 03-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeding Frenzy View Post
Well, after much research, along with the wisdom imparted by this Forum (and my friends Paulie and Jeff), it became clear (rather quickly) that my TV would be "Borderline" at best. I really love my truck. I purchased it new and rigged it for my other hobby of Surf Fishing in the Northeast, where I drive on the sand beaches.
Back when I outfitted my truck, I never imagined I would be getting into the R/V world and towing. As a result, my truck was rigged for four wheeling and driving on soft sand (hence the mods I made).
The wife and I also realized that the 22 - 25 ft TT would QUICKLY become too small and therefore "Settling" for a smaller TT with a borderline TV was simply not a smart move (especially financially). As a result, we began the journey of purchasing a new TV. Today, she came home.
Here she is (along with
2021 F250 (brand new) XLT / FX4 package
7.3L Gas Engine
10 Speed Xmission
4.30 Electronic Locking Axle
5th wheel rigging package (not going that big, yet)

It appears the market favors either Ford and Ram for TV's. I've owned a LOT of Fords and they've been good to me and I feel I got a fair deal on this truck today with my trade. I got a really good trade in value!! Please do not crucify me. It's what fits us best.

Now, we need some insight on a TT that fits us best. Perhaps I should start another thread in the appropriate forum topic...
Congratulations! Nice looking truck!
Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, it's a very nice looking truck. I'm "partial to Ford" too....

One "very important photo is missing"... It's the yellow sticker right above/below the axle rating decal.... What's the payload on your new truck? That "tidbit of information" is VITAL in determing what you can tow and EVERYTHING you add to the truck (topper, bed liner, those slide out drawer systems, etc) will all "reduce the maximum tongue weight" for any trailer you might consider....

Depending on the payload and what "additional cargo" you plan to add, in the form of mods to the truck, changing the way it currently sits, will determine how much is left for the trailer tongue weight..... That will determine how much trailer you can tow.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:00 AM   #31
Feeding Frenzy

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	truck 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	32742  
Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #32
Mikelff

Nice rig. Now everything you add will reduce your payload of 2957 pounds, including people. You should be able to tow a nice TT with that truck. Happy camping!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #33
notanlines

Son, you and Momma made a very good choice. You could have gone with any of the big three, they are all great choices. You have a pretty good cargo capacity and it should also serve you well while fishing. I'm a Ford man, but I would not enter into the brand bashing. DW's Corvette is parked in the garage and the Chrysler minivan is sitting outside the RV. Our Florida bomb.
Now, if you want to see truck people squeal, just say something bad about their color choice!!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:50 AM   #34
jfk69

Nice truck, it will serve you well. I’m partial to Ford’s just a smidgeon more than Rams. GM’s, well, they have their fans too lol. But everyone KNOWS that a truck any color other than black, white, grey or silver is ugly and useless.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

FF, That is a really nice looking truck. I will say this... 27' bumper pull may get too small for extended camping trips and you may start getting the 5th wheel itch and the 3K payload will keep you looking at the teeny-tiny 5th wheels (like the one I have). My personal experience tells me a bumper pull much over 34-35' starts to get cumbersome but I am sure those with the real long ones will disagree; fifth wheel just pulls easier. Give us an update on the 7.3L as that is a new engine with no history to speak of and will be interesting to see if Ford hit it out of the part or just hit a foul ball.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #36
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Nice truck, it will serve you well. I’m partial to Ford’s just a smidgeon more than Rams. GM’s, well, they have their fans too lol. But everyone KNOWS that a truck any color other than black, white, grey or silver is ugly and useless.
See? Now you understand how wrong members can be!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote